“A little gem but don't tell everyone!”
Review of La Vina - Grey St Newcastle - CLOSED

La Vina - Grey St Newcastle
Cuisines: Spanish, Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: The newest addition to our family of 5 restaurants, La Vina Newcastle is nestled just a stone's throw from the buzz of the city centre. A relaxed retreat from the bustle of Grey Street above, this secluded subterranean gem will give you the warmest of Mediterranean welcomes. Whether you're unwinding after work with one of our exquisite wines, en-route to the nearby theatre or seeking a hub for throwing a sincerely Spanish fiesta, La Vina Newcastle offers you a finer-dining experience. Our chefs are passionate about their food, freshly preparing our dishes using only the finest ingredients, seducing your senses time after time. Softly lit and soaked in ambience, we also have a stylish private room for exclusive entertaining....Whether for business or pleasure!
Reviewed March 11, 2014

Arriving late in Newcastle on a friday evening and not having time to book is a problem so when my wife and I, needing food prior to a show, had been unable to get in anywhere in the area we were pleasantly surprised to find a table available here. We were not disappointed as the atmosphere, service and the food were all first class. As we were short of time we had 2 dishes each which was more than adequate but would probably have had more if we had spaced out the meal over a longer period. We enjoyed it so much that we returned later that night when the tables get moved and the salsa dance session starts. As rank novices we had a great time and only left when the music got too loud (unnecessarily so I feel) for our admittedly old ears. However I would highly recommend this restaurant just don't tell everyone or we won't get in next time!

Giuseppe C, General Manager at La Vina - Grey St Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

The food and the atmosphere were fantastic. However, one member of our party is in a wheelchair and disappointingly the disabled toilet door didnt lock, also when she left in the disabled lift she wasn't able to open the door at the top as it was blocked with spare tables and chairs. Found this surprising as staff were fully aware they had a customer in a wheelchair. Took 3 of us to move it all to let her out. Totally inconsiderate. Spoiled a fantastic night.

Giuseppe C, General Manager at La Vina - Grey St Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Hi there, just wanted to let you know how disappointed and embarrassed I am. The disabled toilet door it is locking fine but I have no excuses for the negligent of the staff and manager on duty on that night. I would like to discuss with you this further so if you can gently call me directly on 01912603533 work/07878562981 personal, or e-mail me your contact details on lavina.newcastlegreyst@lavina.co.uk and I'll contact you back ASAP. I will much appreciate your replay as I’m conducting further investigation to stop this issue of happening again.
Kind Regards
Giuseppe Colella

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Me and my partner had a really nice experiance here on saturday . Having never tried Spanish Tapas before we didnt know what to expect but loved it and will defo try it again!! This resturant is lovely and very romantic as every table has a candle and the main celling lights are dimed. The plate are quite small so 3-4 tappas per head is advised,we shared 6 as we are light eaters. The meal + 4 drinks came to £47 which i thought was very good. As for booking we phone at 4pm and were booked for 6.30pm which was pure luck as the place was packed when we got there so a more advance booking is advised. I would happily return to this resturant and would recommend to a friend :):)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Last night, after trying about 6 restaurants in the heart of Newcastle, all of which were fully booked, I spotted a couple heading into La Vina and we decided to give it a try. Our hearts sunk when we got downstairs with the couple in front of us and a couple behind us, the restaurant was full. The head waiter gave us all a huge smile and asked us to take a seat in the bar and he would find us a table as as soon as he could. We ordered drinks expecting a long wait but were escorted to a table in less than 10 mins.
The food was amazing ( wow the pig cheeks; a must have dish!) but the customer service was nothing short of perfect. When the extra bread and jug of sangria we had ordered failed to arrive and our dishes mostly eaten ( the restaurant was completley full, these things happen) , we asked the head waiter if we could cancel them from our order. He was genuinly diapointed for us and insisted we have them both. The bread to dip in the sauces, we were told, is the best way to end the meal while chatting . Both the bread and sangria arrived quickly and neither apeared on the bill. While we insisted on paying for the items, they were delicious,we appreciated the gesture by the head waiter. In all an excellent night and one we hope to share with friends very soon.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I personally think tapas is suited to a small party. There was 13 in our party, a few too many to share which is what tapas is all about. Saying that we ordered individual tapas to our tastes. I chose the paella which was ample for one and would definately recommend it. Priced at 10 95 which I think was a fair price. A few if the party had the pork cheeks which they commented on as being really good. I think it could work out pricey if ordering a range of dishes to taste.