“Not good”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Godfather - CLOSED

The Godfather
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Japan
“Not good”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Got this on a Groupon deal - Pay £5, get £22 off your bill. With a drink each, it came to about £12 (plus the £5), so £17 for two starters, two mains and two drinks. Beer - there was only one to choose from - was £3.50, sparkling water was £3.

Tired interior, dirty women's toilet (didn't try the men's). Felt like stepping back a few decades.

Starters were ok, one main was ok. The other - filled pasta - was rock hard in the middle, so had to go back. The second one was piping hot... but still quite hard in the middle. Food quite salty on the whole.

Also managed to see into the serving hatch, where someone had a small row with the boss after slamming shut the dumb waiter.

For £17, it's possible to get much better food in a much better environment elsewhere.

On the plus side, the waitress was very friendly and happy to help.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank junkymotown

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Visited here last week with my friend. The restaurant only had 3 other tables occupied and we were shown straight to our table by a friendly waitress. We ordered a large orange juice each and my friend had potato skins and I had parma ham with melon. My dish was really nice - (can't really go wrong with this). The potato skins were just ok - nothing to write about. My friend had the Calzone pizza and I had the ham and pineapple pizza. My friend did not enjoy her Calzone she has had far better elsewhere. My pizza was fine - nothing special. Like a lot of other diners, we went here on a voucher which we paid £5 for - you are told you have to order a starter and a main meal each. If you don't want a starter you will still be charged for the cheapest one which I think, from memory is £4.95. In my opinion, the prices are quite expensive for an Italian restaurant. But, overall, you can't complain too much if you read the terms on the voucher. Most other Italian restaurants would charge at least £10 for their vouchers. So, at the end of the day, we had to pay nearly £14 extra which I thought was quite a lot given that we only had an orange juice each Not the best quality, just ok - but you get what you pay for.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“I wish i'd stayed at home”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I'm writing this because my review off this dump has mysteriously disappeared!!

We went in April 2013, Groupon Voucher, £5 for £22 off

Please ignore the reviews which say "if you want Michelin starred food, pay michelin starred prices"

I did not go to The Godfather expecting the world. Really my expectations were, something Italian that was edible.

I'm not really fussy and to be fair the starters were ok. The mains were terrible.

I had arrabiata which was made, over cooked penne, without chilli and what tasted like dish water.

I gave up after 3 mouthfuls, totally inedible. Didn't want to make a fuss so i tried my girlfriends pizza which looked great, but tasted like salt.

All around us the wrong dishes were brought out and literally everyone complained about the quality.

Again this is not an exaggeration.

I could of stayed at home, boiled some pasta and opened a jar of sauce and i would of saved £15.00 and 3 hours of my life.

I've never complained in a restaurant before but i couldn't help but to in this place. The pasta was taken off my bill after about 30 mins wait. I wish i'd just walked out and not paid a penny.

It's a waste of time. please please don't go.

I like how the management have responded to a couple of the reviews. They clearly read these but do nothing about it.

I read a review below which complains about the service, food and decor. The response? don't ridicule our decor!

They didn't comment on the service or the food because they already know its terrible.

it's a rip off

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Paul P
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Groupon disaster!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

Poor quality food, drinks are extiortionate (£2.95 for my son to have a pint of orange squash???). This owner uses every trick in the book to build the price - and make sure you check the bill carefully!!

The voucher states 2 starters and 2 mains for £5 instead of £22 but he changes it to a £22 discount which doesn't cover the cost of any 2 starters with 2 mains.

When you read the review from the ex-employee - that says it all and with hindsight you can see exactly what they mean.

1 Thank JG12190793
Durham
“not bad food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We bought the living social voucher for £5 which entitled us to two starters and two mains. When we got to the restaurant we were informed that the voucher was for £22 and anything over we paid the extra which i did not know about as cannot remember it saying this anywhere. I ordered the potato skins and my girlfriend the moussaka. Both were very nice but not very big for the price what they were aksing for. The we both had pasta as the main, which again was very nice, my girlfriend said on hers there was a little too much sauce. Overall nice food, we had to pay an extra £10 for our meal as ordered a lager(which only bottles were only available) and a water, plus the food came over the £22 allowance which we knew it would as not many things you could get for £22