“Excellent place”
Review of Gusto - Newcastle

Gusto - Newcastle
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: As if the Gateshead Millennium Bridge and the Baltic Art Gallery weren't enough reason to visit Newcastle's Quayside, there is also Gusto. Make the most of those sunshine days on the beautiful terrace, and when the evening (or the clouds) draw in, step inside the large, lively bar - with a superb choice of wines and cocktails. Add a 200-year-old olive tree, sprinkled in fairy lights, and Gusto Newcastle makes any day magical.
UK
“Excellent place”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Very happy, great service. Thumbs up!

Took my misses here for out anniversary :)

We were told there was a delay on the food as it was a busy bank holiday Sunday, although it came within 10 minutes of ordering. Also, the waitress was very observant in noticing that my fiancée wasn't enjoying her main and, with permission, had it exchanged for another instantly! Excellent service, would definitely go back! =)

• Visited March 2013

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
newcastle upon tyne
“Let down again by Diners club”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

I must echo the sentiments of the reviewer below. I love the food at Gusto and the service is usually quick and friendly. However I have finally given up and lost my patience with their Dining Club.

I have a Dining Club card which according to their website offers 40% off all food all week apart from Saturday evenings when it's 20% off. Great deal, I hear you say? You have to book through a link on their members page, which I have done several times now. You get an email to confirm. Yet every single time I have been, with just one exception, the bill has arrived with no deductions. The last time I visited, I queried it and the girl went off to redo the bill and it came back with 20% removed. We had to again correct her that it should be 40%. How on earth this has happened so many times is ridiculous and embarrassing. Exact same thing happed the time before. They make you book through a members portal so surely the fact you are in dining club shows up on your online booking? And even if not, how can they get the amount wrong? Surely the staff have been told? It's not difficult. It's awkward and embarrassing and time consuming trying to sort this out especially in front of guests. I see I'm not the only one to have had problems. I am afraid this maybe time to call it a day wtbthis offer and Gusto as its become all to predictable. If they don't want to offer these discounts, why have them in the first place.

9 Thank sunnydelight26
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Very poor night”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I've written a good review for this place in the past but my most recent visit was a poor one from entering the place. It was a warm Summer evening so we fancied a couple of draughts before our meal. There is a single draught lager in the restaurant and that was empty. Then they only had the very small bottles of lager. They last about 5 seconds and as they are so expensive for what they are I decided not to bother. The staff here are normally very pleasant but the girl behind the bar then seemed tio get an attitude about it. Next was a list of things that were off the menu..including mussels? An absolute must for people ordering starters I would have thought. I'd have hardly thought they would be so short of everything on a Wednesday night.
What really spoilt my visit, yet again, was the fact that even though I'm a member of their Diners club they 'forgot' to take the 20% discount from the bill. With the bill being close to £200 this is a significant discount and one of the reasons we chose this restaurant. This has happened every time I've booked through the Diners membership and it shouldn't happen at all as it has to be booked through them online. In the past I've been too embarrassed to say anything but emailed about it. Even though they had all the records of my visits and what I paid they asked for receipts...making me feel like I was trying to con them. One of my guests was that incensed that she went to raise the matter herself and before she even had time to say what the issue was with the bill they identified the issue themselves and said "oh sorry it was a mistake". They clearly knew what they had done and only said something because we raised the matter. What is the point of having discount with a Diners club membership if they never give you it or you have to embarrass yourself by asking for it in front of guests. It's a discpicable way to treat customers and I'll never go back.

1 Thank Paul S
sheffield
“Gusto is great!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We went here after a disastrous experience at the near by pitcher and piano. The welcome, the drinks, the food and the service were excellent. A good place to visit and the views are good.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Lovely visit”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I went to Gusto today as we were visiting Newcastle for the day. We were having a late lunch and arrived there at about 3.30pm. We were literally the only people in there. The food was of an extremely high standard and the service we got from the waitress, I can't remember her name unfortunately,but she was Irish. She was very attentive and knowledgable about the menu when we were choosing both food and wine. Lovely time, will be back on our next visit.