“JESMOND JAUNT”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Called in last nite before the stereophonics concert..and the staff were brill...i got a poor pint and when i pointed it out to the manager he couldent be more helpfull. Myself and freinds got a free drink.. defo gona pop into this top bistro again. I would highly recomend it.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Deciding on not eating at the Best Western New Kent, we found the Billabong Bar.
Being very busy was a good sign as we passed by some empty bars on this very busy street.
We stumbled upon "happy hour" which consisted of a big red button that you pressed to gamble your happy hour offer, very good idea.
We ate some finger food and it was tasty, piping hot and good VFM.
Various TV screens showing football and on the night attracted a lot of students was therefore boisterous, dont come here if you want a quiet night.
Very good bar/bistro that I would return to and recommend!!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

After entering the establishment at approximately 10.45 pm on Thursday, I placed an order for 4 pints with my colleague. (2 each) At the time of the transaction there was no reference to the time of closure, which we assumed was until late as advertised. However, at the time of 11.10 pm were forcefully told to finish our drinks. This shocked me, as this was no stated during the transaction and I would not of completed such process without confirmation. After being told to leave at 11.15 pm I was confronted by a manager who felt that he would defer the argument to the speed at which we were to complete our beverages. After 5-10 minutes I was astonished at the resulting confrontation of the staff towards myself regarding the non-notified time of closure. I was forced to leave the bar with most of my order not finished. The un-organisation of the staff and poor attitude regarding this matter has forced me to no longer visit this bar and I would strongly advise others against the use if you require a calm drinking environment.

3  Thank dobinhood
Reviewed October 6, 2013

only problem is the menu is a bit boring theses days they may need a new chef but its well worth a visit the staff are very freindly. the service is one of best in newcastle just wish they would do more classics menu

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My husband stayed at the Caledonian adjoining the Billabong in August for a stag weekend and had one meal on the Saturday night. The staff were very polite and helpful throughout the meal, my husband ordered the bread starter which was very nice, with a variety of breads and olives and a dip. For main he ordered the sirloin steak with chips (veg was £2.50 extra) medium rare, unfortunately when the food came the steak was well done, over cooked and very tough, he did order the extra veg which was not needed as the dish came with mash and a mashed olive filled tomato. The staff are great and helpful but the food is poor and does not match the service, you would be better off trying elsewhere than eating here.