“Not to standard”
Review of Billabong Bistro

Billabong Bistro
Ranked #535 of 1,262 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: British, Bar, European
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not to standard”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Came for drinks Sunday 3rd March, very quiet no atmosphere, after a few drinks went to toilets and no locks on doors, tiles missing think its time they refurbished the toilets as this is a real pet hate of mine, also tried to have a bit craic with barman and just looked at me funny think they need to lighten up and be more friendly.

• Arabic first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Me and my husband have had sunday lunch here before ( about a year ago) and it was lovely, we decided to go for a meal on saturday night, it was terrible, i ordered fish my husband the lamb, it took about 20 mins. then when the fish arrived it was raw inside, another 20 mins.another fish came this was better but they had put it on top of the mushy peas that was on the other plate and which had dried up. My husbands lamb cutlets were all fat and bone practally no meat at all. The lady serving us was very apologetic and did give us a free drink each ( which we needed) The resturant was empty at 7 o clock on a saturday night, that should have warned us, also people were cutting through the resturant to get to the bar and were very loud. avoid this resturant.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank 1007linda
Newcastle Upon Tyne
“A very pleasant interlude spoilt by a false fire alarm!”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I visited this hotel for a Champagne Afternoon Tea, which I had purchased as a treat for my mum from the Living Social website. The price was greatly reduced because of this.

We arrived just before our reservation time and signed our car in with reception. We then went to the restaurant, were brought a glass of champagne each and our tea. (Earl Grey for me, and normal for my mum) We were also brought our food, which was 3 lots of finger sandwiches, egg mayo, smoked salmon and cream cheese and roast beef with horseradish.

We had just started to eat when the fire alarm went off. We all trouped out and were back in within a couple of minutes as it appeared to be a false alarm.

We then started again with our tea. As well as the sandwiches, there were cheese scones, fruit scones, and various cakes and fancies and butter, jam and clotted cream for the scones. We asked to swap the cheese scones for more fruit ones as neither of us like cheese ones and this was no problem. We also had another pot of tea, which was again no problem. The service was very prompt and was no bother to the waitress who served us.

My only negatives about this are the fire alarm that went off and could only have been a false alarm as we were out for no more than 2 minutes (this would not have been a criticism if we had been out for a longer period as I would have expected this from a normal fire alarm and would not hold the hotel responsible for this), also though the price I paid for this through Living Social was great, I would not have wanted to pay full price for this (£45) as I thought this was overpriced for what we got.

Newcastle
“I am confused how someone can make a sauce taste of NOTHING!?”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

starter was nice - very small though and trying to be fancy when it shouldnt be.
The 'steak' main course AWFUL! the sauce actually tasted of nothing! and i got two little pieces of what looked like frying steak not a proper steak at all
Desert - nice
overall - wouldnt go back, disappointing!

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank amyscotland
newcastle upon tyne
“Very impressed, no complaints, EXCELLENT Service.”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

In contrast to several of the other reviews, I was extremely impressed on my visit ( 10/06/2012).
The surrounds, I could not fault and the waitress who attended to us was excellent in all respects,
Very sensibly priced drinks and very good- not brilliant, food at a very reasonable price.

In summary, a lovely night out and would most certainlky return.

• Visited June 2012