“Surprised...”

Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Very authentic Persian restaurant in Newcastle - who'd have thought? The service was friendly and fast - and the food was great! Try the more traditional Persian items on the menu - like the fesenjan. The menu is available online but the staff are more than happy to talk you through it and make recommendations... oh, and it's cheap! If this place was in London it would be three times more expensive. Oh, and if it looks full downstairs don't worry, there's additional seating upstairs.

2  Thank hellofish

Reviewed April 10, 2014

We live in Jesmond and drive past this restaurant on Osbourne rd every day after dropping subtle hints i was taken for my birthday. The restaurant is small but perfectly formed it is cool, contemporary and spotless.
The food was Devine, we ordered three mains between two of us plus different flavoured rice(with barberries, almonds and pistachio) is a must , we got a starter to share, if you had to describe Persian dining i would describe it as Tapas meets india. The use of lamb and fruits and nuts is so unusual to our pallet and made for a taste sensation. Really , really loved the atmosphere, food , and service that was delivered, superb and affordable . I highly recommend you try it.

1  Thank TheCrackett-Bakers
Reviewed April 5, 2014

This very innocuous and unassuming place is a gem. It's on a busy road and only when you are on the opposite side of the road do you see the huge advertising and branding so in theory you can't miss it.

It's slightly cramped but does have an upstairs. Welcome and service is very warm and friendly. Food was excellent and great value for money. A mixture of people including students, couples, business people make for a really nice atmosphere. Well worth a visit without a doubt and the fact it's Persian cuisine is a welcome alternative to pizza and Chinese!

Lovely place, pop in for lunch and a catch-up.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I come to this restaurant whenever I am in Newcastle, and I can not boast more about the amazing food from A Taste of Persia. Being from an Iranian decent myself, and taking regular visits to the country, I can honestly say that it is just as good as being in Iran! Such amazing tastes and aroma's.

I do not understand why anyone can rate this restaurant any less than excellent. If you're wanting to try something new and delicious then I would highly recommend.

It's even better than my mum's cooking! Can't wait for my next visit.

1  Thank Sophie_ngsb
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We went here for a family meal on Mothers' Day evening, and were completely underwhelmed by it. The grills we ordered were reasonable quality meat well cooked, but served utterly plain and basic, so to have a really enjoyable meal required ordering multiple side orders (the grills do not come with any rice, bread, or sauces) which turns this into a pricey meal. Service was polite but perfunctory. The decor is tasteful but boring. The whole experience lacked any sense of passion. Given that there is a growing number of other places around Newcastle offering great middle eastern food with a lot more flair and great value for money, we wouldn't hurry back here.

2  Thank Jenny C