Tripadvisor
Newcastle upon Tyne
Post
Inbox
Search

“Ok food, terrible service ”
Review of Kaltur Restaurant

Ranked #164 of 1,510 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Description: New food experience in Newcastle.
Description: New food experience in Newcastle.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We visited the Dean Street restaurant. The food was ok, but we waited over 30 mins to order even drinks, and then longer still for food, only for one of the mains to be apparently ‘forgotten’ with the chefs leaving the restaurant before we had to ask if the food was coming. To top off the experience, they had the cheek to add on a 10% service charge to our full price bill with not so much as an apology. I had looked forward for a long time to eating here but I won’t be returning.

Date of visit: January 2020
2  Thank jonathanwatt
Write a reviewReviews (251)

Reviewed January 3, 2020

We dropped into here after tasting some of their wines,at another venue. A very small gluten free menu produced in a mixed kitchen but I had no issues. Tasty food helpful staff but not sure I would visit again as such a limited menu for me

Date of visit: October 2019
Reviewed December 22, 2019

I’ll start with the positives: friendly staff, the food that arrived was delicious, and the prices were reasonable, particularly the wine list. The venue was clean and well presented. When we were settled our order was taken promptly.

The serious improvement required here is in the front of house organisation: the whole experience was amateurish and littered with silly errors. I initially booked (or tried to) via the website but got no confirmation after two days so had to call- there must be quite a bit of lost business from failing to follow up emails. I booked a table downstairs but on arrival we were initially given a bar seat in front of the kitchen, with full view of the stressed looking chef and being wafted by the smoke from the grill. We then had to wait for our table but weren’t offered any drinks while we waited. The waiter didn’t take us to our table; he just pointed vaguely at it.

Food order was strange- bread came out halfway through and hot and cold dishes were interspersed. I ordered a nice bottle of wine but received a similar (not identical) bottle with a newer vintage- no explanation for the difference and still charged the reserve price. I also ordered a vegan dish which came loaded with mayo. Items initially went to the wrong table and this appeared to be happening across the restaurant. I would normally pay for service but didn’t on this occasion because it was just mental, and because of the risk of other diners touching the food before it landed in the right place.

This place has the potential to be great but someone needs to take a firm hand over the waiting staff because they clearly lacked leadership. We’ll go back for the food.

Reviewed December 19, 2019 via mobile

We got the seat of our choice by the window and the time flew as we ate tapas style and watched people hurrying by on a wet night in High Bridge. The food was great quality and though some if the menu was familiar it all had a little twist that made it surprisingly different. The staff were hugely attentive and made our visit one we’ll look to repeat.

Date of visit: December 2019
Juan Ignacio L, Propietario at Kaltur Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2019

Hello GrannyGoesOut,

Thank you for your visit , we are delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Kaltur, and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed December 16, 2019

I could not rate this restaurant any higher, the visit was excellent, both the front of house staff and the chef made the experience fantastic right from the start, they were polite, friendly and more than happy to take the time to talk and help with the menu.
The choice of food was excellent and the flavours and presentation are second to none.
We had a sharing board of cheese and charcuterie to start, which had a good selection of items, then chose four tapas, which was more than enough, not managing to finish it all, it was very well presented and tasted amazing.
I would highly recommend sitting at the counter, watching the chef prepare the food and having time it interact with him made the evening a more memorable experience.
this will definitely be a location I will return to at some point in the future, well worth a visit.

Date of visit: December 2019
Juan Ignacio L, Propietario at Kaltur Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2019

Hello 577glennf

Thank you for your visit , we are very happy that you enjoyed the food, service, and atmosphere at our restaurant. We will be happy to welcome you next time!

Best Regards