“Excellent meal and value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pan Haggerty - CLOSED

Pan Haggerty
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Northumberland
“Excellent meal and value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

Arrived just in time for the early bird, restaurant was pleasantly busy for mid week evening. Starters of fish cakes and corned beef hash were both very tasty and well presented. Main course for me was the tastiest pork ever eaten, was concerned it may have been fatty as it was belly pork but it was not at all, just really flavoursome. Husband ate minute steak which was perfectly cooked with fat chips. Shouldn't really have gone for dessert as the portions were large and I was quite stuffed, but I couldn't resist and went for the apple, pear and berry crumble. This was gorgeous but had to reluctantly leave some to save having to be rolled out of the place. Husband went for cheesecake, which was tasty but again had to be left due to fullness of tummy!
This restaurant has excellent food and atmosphere, tables are not all squashed together but are still roomy. It is very refreshing to be served lovely food and decent portions in a city centre place, all for a reasonable price. Would highly recommend and will be back soon. For diners with high standards, this is not said lightly.

dalston
“lovely restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

Very busy on a tuesday evening in July, but service was good.
Had the early evening menu which was very good value.
Will eat here again.

Manchester
“The best new restaurant in Newcastle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

I recently visited Pan Haggerty whist on a trip to see my daughter who's currently a student in Newcastle. We came on a busy saturday night and despite the restaurant appearing to to have every table occupied, the service and atmosphere was enjoyable and relaxed. The waitresses were very polite, chatty and knowledgable of the local dishes and were able to provide helpful explanations of the dishes and ingredients.
When the food arrived, everyone was impressed by the presentation and generous portion size. Our starters included the signature Pan Haggerty, Kippers and the Black Pudding Scotch Egg. All were well recieved and thoroughly enjoyed.
The main course was equally well cooked and presented and was again enjoyed by all.
In short, Pan Haggerty not only met, but exceeded our expectations and we look forward to returning on our next trip to Newcastle.

Newcastle Upon Tyne
“Great food, first class service and reasonably priced!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2009

My girlfriend and I entertained friends at Pan Haggerty on Friday 19th June 2009. We were all delighted with the experience. From the moment we arrived (late) we were made to feel right at home. We were shown to our table which was comfortable and private enough to catch up without excluding us from the vibrant atmosphere which filled the busy restaurant.
The staff were knowledgeable about the menu and ingredients as well as the wine list helping us to make what seemed like very difficult decisions between the numerous options! They continued for the rest of our visit to serve us in an attentive yet non-imposing manner.
We all enjoyed our meals from starters through to dessert. I personally started with the signature Pan Haggerty which was excellent, in fact so good I ate it all worrying I might not be leaving room for my main course. I followed this with a steak which I ordered medium-rare. I find it to be a bit of a lottery in the UK as to how that order is interpreted in the kitchen but can honestly say that this was one of the best cooked and most tender steaks I have ever eaten. We shared a selection of desserts between us all of which were delicious.
Despite being the last customers in the restaurant we never felt hurried while we enjoyed coffee and more conversation before finally rolling out! I would recommend this reastaurant to anyone. Considering how much we had to eat (three courses each, really) and drink (two bottles of white wine and two glasses of red as well as soft drinks) we all felt that £40 per head (inc. tip) was very reasonable!

durham, england
“Very ordinary”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

Took colleague here Tuesday lunchtime. Welcome (nice girl followed by pleasant manager) was fine. So was wine (2008 Argentinean Torrontes). We chose the lunch menu and both had the same things. Risotto was nice. Main course (grilled hake on top of mashed potato, plus greens and pesto) was distinctly poor. Mash was old and dry, hake flabby and insufficiently crisp. We skipped puds. Coffee was adequate - not positively good. Bill - approx. £50, including service - would have been OK if food had been right. This restaurant has serious quality control issues.

• 2 of 5 bubbles