“A good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pan Haggerty - CLOSED

Pan Haggerty
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Excellent menu, service too. Good atmosphere well suited to a relaxed and lengthy lunch. Disappointed that the signature dish wasn't available but that aside, I'll be back.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Franthecat

“Seriously brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I cannot compliment this place enough and why it isnt in the parthenon of a Michelin award is a mystery. Truly the best food in newcastle. Amazing bread, perfect meat, brilliant balance of flavours and the atmosphere is as welcoming as the front of house staff. In short, give a a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime. However, direct a man to Pan Haggerty's, he'll thank you for ever.

3 Thank tasteinvader
merseyside
“A pure must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

What a great place to eat! Staff where very friendly, gave us plenty of time to relax and enjoy every moment. Excellent service! Food was top quality. As was the drinks. Would definatly visit again next time we are in Newcastle.

Fantastic atmosphere. A night to remember!

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
“Great Evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Got a late-ish booking on 16th Feb (21:15). Turned up a little early. No problem! Table ready. Welcoming staff and made to feel very comfortable the whole evening too. Great service: certainly not stand-offish nor in your face. Perfect. Food was great. Galloway sirloin for me cooked medium rare and perfectly so. She had rack of Lamb. We shared a lovely plate of cheeses. We had a glass each of house champagne, forgot to ask where from. Really good and not as aggressively acidic as many. Shows good taste! Wine list varies from dizzying heights (Gruaud Larose at £145 a throw) to workaday stuff at around £20. The Norton Malbec we had was good with the meat but I wish there was a little more 'critical mass' in the £25 bracket. First trip to Newcastle in ages so not sure about local comparisons, but we'd definitely return.

1 Thank Mark B
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and laidback friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to Pan Haggerty last night for our Anniversary meal and had a lovely time...we were running late and the staff were so accommodating and pleasant when we arrived.

We were lead to a lovely candlelit table for two at the back of the restaurant and service was brilliantly attentive but not too formal which set a perfect tone. We've previously been to other (unnamed!) restaurants in Newcastle where the food was beautiful but we were interrupted every 3 mins with offers of more drinks, more food which can be quite intrusive. Not so at Pan Haggerty...best service I've had in Newcastle.

We had 2 glasses of champagne which were available by the glass when we arrived which were fantastic and after a perusal of the wine menu chose a reasonably priced Sauvignon Blanc to follow-although the option to push the boat out was certainly there!

The menu was deceptively simple with the main ingredient as the star of the dish and the locally sourced ingredients were certainly being used to their best advantage.
I had scallops with black pudding and beetroot to with a pea jus (I think) and my partner had the pigeon breast for starters; both were cooked beautifully and presented on a warm slate (very masterchef!)..I wanted to take a picture but we'd already tucked in!
Warm fresh home made bread was available also.

For main course my boyfriend had the lamb and I had the poisson with chicken liver parfait. They were both served again on a warm slate and just looked ravishing. The poisson in particular was genuinely the best main course I've ever had anywhere and judging how much my boyfriend was tucking into his I'm sure he'd say the same about the lamb.

After a bit of a rest from the rich food we had the 'rhubarb' dessert which was a great play on rhubarb custard. There was a rhubard jelly cube, marshmallow cubes, a square of sponge, poached rhubarb, rhubarb sorbet and a set custard. Absolutely loved it! Should have ordered two rather than one really!

All in all we had a great time and although quite pricey, you really felt every dish had been lovingly created and expertly executed to justify the prices. I'm really proud there is a restaurant of this standard in Newcastle and I strongly urge people to visit!

1 Thank Sarah M