“Absolutely Amazing”

Hedgefield House Hotel
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place is out of this world. I stayed in the four poster suite and it had everything you could possibly want. Huge room, flat screen TV, tea/coffee (with biscuits and choc mints), separate dressing room, huge bathroom (with shower and double bath). Whole place is spotless. Staff very friendly and helpful. Grounds are beautiful. Hard to remember you are in a city and not in the middle of the country. 5 minutes drive from Metro Centre.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank heather1lml

Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night as I was entertaining a wedding crowd and traveled back to London the day after.

I wanted something near to the centre but far enough away to sleep well and not pay for parking or high prices!

On arrival I was greeting by a friendly man who showed my to my room and showed my the shared bathroom and explained about breakfast and the free wifi.

The room was large and very nicely done, flat screen tv, plenty of tea & coffee to make with biscuits. Had a lovely dressing table and sink so I could brush my teeth in my room and wash my face etc. I was in room 2 and had a double and a single bed with two queen Ann chairs to sit in if I wanted to.

The bed was very comfy and the room was just the right temperature to feel comfortable all night.

Breakfast I thought was very pleasant and if people moan about it I think you expect far too much for your money. If you expect bacon egg's etc then you must live like an American as generally 90% of people eat toast, cereal, yogutes, cakes, crosants etc. It was more than enough for me to start my journey back to London so I'm sure it's enough for other guests.

This hotel offers a cosy, comfortable, cheap stay and if you feel the need to criticise then you need to pay twice the price for a not so better hotel/stay.

I will return here if I'm ever needing to stay in Newcastle.

Thanks a lot

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank pooh&boo
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We recently spent a weekend break at the Hedgefield and found it very good value and a good location for Newcastle city centre, it was far enough away to be quiet but near enough for a short car or bus trip. The room was excellent (room 1), it was spacious and well equipped with a nice large shower, for a short weekend you could not ask for more. There was no cooked breakfast but we knew this before we booked so it wasn't a surprise, but it didn't matter as there was still plenty of choice and a pleasant service. For evening meals there is an Italian restuarant within easy walking distance which was good value and nice food, on a summers evening this location would be an excellent choice. I would certainly recommend this hotel and it is likely we will be returning again soon.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I have stayed here 4 times, this last visit I had to book in somewhere else because they didn't have room for me one of my nights, I moved here as soon as they could accommodate me. Wonderful place, I feel like its my home from home up here in Newcastle. 20 mins from the airport, great parking, great hosts, low key breakfast with good coffee, very clean and good, free wifi. Safe, friendly environment for women traveling solo.

Room Tip: They do have rooms where you have to share a bathroom and I had never considered that until this tri...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Booked this place as it was advertised as a 4 star hotel and at a very good price for 3 nights stay. The hotel is in a good location for getting to Newcastle or the Metro Centre and if you don't drive, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel.

On arrival the owner was very friendly and helpful. He was also going to help us find somewhere to eat for the night but I like exploring so me and the girlfriend just went on our adventure (as you do)

Had no issues with the room and I was well aware I would be sharing toilet & shower facilities before getting to the hotel which played on my mind.... However I had no issues when actually there. They were very nice! Never had any issue with hot/cold water as some reviews mention.

The bed itself was wow! Very comfy and the room was a good size. Yeah you could hear people coming and going but nothing which caused me any issues unlike some hotels I had the misfortune of staying at.

I did accidentally burn the carpet with the iron and left a fairly noticeable burn mark. I advised the owner straight away and he couldn't have been more nice to me if he tried. I felt really bad for doing it and discovered the carpets were only 2 months old... oops! It was an accident at the end of the day and he acknowledged that and didn't make a deal of it which was really nice of him.

Breakfast I thought was really nice. Basic? Yes... however still enjoyable. A boiled egg for the toast wouldn't go a miss or a bit of bacon but I'm not complaining as I knew what to expect.

I was however disappointed regarding the gym facilities. I was attracted to this hotel as it advertised a gym however.... a bike, stepper and a few weights in my eyes don't constitute a gym. I was really looking for a treadmill but nothing. It is a fine room to burn off the calories but nothing to shout about.

All and all a very nice hotel and would certainly stay again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We booked this at short notice to go to visit family so picked the location which was fine. It's in a quiet spot and there's plenty of space for parking. We stayed in the annex, in two twin rooms. The rooms were fine - clean and one was spacious. However, the walls were very thin and we could hear other guests snoring in the adjacent rooms. This wasn't pleasant.

The main problem was that the showers in the shared bathrooms did not work - only cold water was available. The owner explained that there was always a problem with water pressure. Surely this isn't insurmountable and really needs to be rectified when running a B&B business.

In the morning, we knew that there would be no cooked breakfast - this is quite clearly advertised and we were happy to have the advertised continental style breakfast. However, I really feel that what was provided was too basic - bog standard cereal, sad looking fruit and plastic bread for toast.

Not an expensive place to stay but I felt it could have offered better value for money at £55 per room per night. A warm shower and a decent breakfast (even if uncooked) should probably be expected from a decent B&B.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms have access to hot showers and book those in preference to those in the annexe
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank SparkeyT
joedog1, Owner at Hedgefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

Thank you for your positive comments regarding the rooms and location. I'm sorry you had a problem operating the shower, but on the morning of your departure,when you mentioned it, I did check both showers, when you were there and they did work perfectly. Sometimes the controls can take a while to master. Regarding breakfast, we offer a selection of 6 cereals, yoghurts, preserves, cheeses, cereal bars, shortbreads and pastries.The selection of breads and croissants are fresh from a local baker.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

my wife and I have stayed here frequently over the last two years and have always been very pleased.
david and Anthony could not be better hosts!
rooms are always spotlessly tidy and clean.
highly recommended if you are staying in the area. situated perfectly for visiting newcastle or the Metro centre etc

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business