“10 out of 10. You gotta go!!!”

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
Sunderland
“10 out of 10. You gotta go!!!”
Reviewed July 11, 2010

I surprised my partner with an overnight stay for his birthday. I wanted us to stay somewhere close to home as it was only a 1 night stay. I almost booked Jesmond Dene House, but this was defo the better choice.
We arrived at the hotel a little early and when we checked in, I explained it was my partners birthday and that he had a broken leg. Bernard on reception was great and instantly looked at the availability to see if we could be upgraded!! We were put in the best room in the hotel, The Dom Perignon Suite. OMG its an amazing room (and normally costs £500 per night)!! The room was HUGE and very luxurious!! Ive stayed in some amazing hotels around the world and this one was up there when it comes to quality.
We also went to the restaurant for food which was very good and as for the wine list, wowsers it was bigger than a dictionary!! We love our wine, but we certainly are not experts, however they employ someone who can advise you. The best choice for us was the wine flights, 3 glasses of different wines to accompany each course of your meal and excellent value from £10 to £14 for 3 glasses!!!
The fear with hotels like this is that it may feel pretenscious but I can confirm it is anything but. Great location on the quayside. Fabulous breakfast.
Overall 10 out of 10. Would like to thank Bernard for his kind help and say thankyou to Hotel Du Vin for a great 1 night getaway. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed here as part of their summer special rate. Dinner B&B. Although there is no car park as such, off street parking can be found around the side of the Hotel. Perfectly safe while we were there. Check in was quick and efficient and we were escorted to our room. This was on the ground floor overlooking courtyard, initial concerns over privacy and noise were not an issue. a blind allowed us to look out but stopped visibility in and the insulation meant no noise could be heard even though a party was outside having a bottle of wine.
Room was very tasteful in a grey colour with an oversized bath and a shower which had a huge head for a rainfall effect. Toiletries were by arran cosmetics and came in huge bottles. There was enough storage space and a safe was available. Good sized bed with nice sheets.
Had a short walk to the Quayside area, althoug there have been comments that it is out of the way this doesn't apply to the quayside area or access to the Baltic or Sage. Neither of us are that nimble on our feet these days but we walked there in about 10mins and a pleasant walk it was. i'm saying it was pleasant as on the forum someone stated it was in a dodgy area and no it wasn't.
As for here or the malmaison, the mal is on the quayside but given the crowds hitting the bars early evening then the short distance it is away gives a far more restful stay.
The bistro served up what it stated, Bistro classics. It wasn't Michelin quality but didn't make those claims it was good quality simple dishes cooked well and I didn't feel starters or mains to be overpriced at all. The wine list was extensive, advice was there if you wanted it, plenty of choice by the glass and they even had a sales page with 25% off some wines. Breakfast was take on the terrace area abd was tasty, the continental aspect could perhaps have had more choice but it didn't affect me. All in all a very welcome stay.
Nearby is the Cluny and I think it was called the Free tavern which served the sort of beers and ambiance to my taste rather than the Pitcher and Pianos of the quayside.
Very good stay, value for money and will be looking out for stays at their other hotels over the coming months but this sets a high standard

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We booked this over the phone at a cost of £395 for a suite with river view for a saturday night including breakfast for 2 and valet parking. We arrived early and were informed our room was not ready but we had been upgraded to the Penthouse. I do not always accept upgrades as they are not always as good or better than the original booking. The penthouse was good, great decor, two baths, two showers, huge bed, lcd tvs etc. No river view though!
Breakfast is good, service prompt. The Hotel Du Vin is the most expensive hotel in Newcastle so you will not be disturbed by the loud party crowds. The staff are friendly without being intrusive and the ambience is refined without being snotty!
All in all it is my choice when in Newcastle and we will return (3rd time) in future.
The only downside to our night out was Mr Paolo Nuttini, great visual performance but the sound system was dreadful!!
SF.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Durham
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My husband & I decided to treat ourselves to an overnight stay in Newcastle for an anniversary, despite living releatively close by. Wanting something a little bit special, I was unsure where to book, until a colleague recommended the Hotel du Vin.

And we were not disappointed! The hotel is in a great location for visiting the Quayside area of the city, but just a few minutes walk away to make it secluded enough not to suffer from any noise from the Quayside bars.

The hotel is just fantastic. From entering Reception, the staff were helpful, polite and friendly and the decor is beautiful and so decadent. The chandelier in the lounge is a definite focal point with a difference and the staff in the 'Bubble Bar' were extremely knowledgable and helpful, suggesting and mixing drinks that weren't necessarily on the menu and serving us very attentively as we enjoyed the sun in the lovely courtyard area.

Our bedroom was amazing! We had gone for a double room with a mezzanine bathroom, with slipper bath and monsoon shower, for £195 per night. The room and bathroom were beautiful and totally spotlessly clean, as was the rest of the hotel.

Breakfast was superb, with a choice of several cooked options as well as a plentiful, good quality continental selection.

If I had to find a fault, after a long day we chose to order room service for dinner and the food was quite tepid, however this is the usual peril of room service I guess.

We will certainly be back to the Hotel du Vin as soon as possible and will look to stay in the chain when visiting other cities.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BeaneyBaby
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2010

It's not often I get to go to somewhere that promises to serve me delicious food. As a celebration meal, six of us dressed up and went to the Hotel Du Vin restaurant in Newcastle. It started off okay with some lovely cocktails but deteriorated when we saw the menu - what is it with eggs! The selection (or lack of variety) was poor and the quality once it arrived was hugely disappointing. The vegetarian options were especially poor; I had roasted vegetable cannelloni and would have preferred to eat one from M&S! The vegetables in no way tasted of anything roasted and the cheese sauce was heavy. It was hugely unappetising. The staff and the manager were unfriendly and unhelpful when I told them that I was disappointed with the food. My other vegetarian friend had a soufflé that was very heavy and nothing like what a soufflé should be. The other dishes were also mediocre and not deserving of there £15-20 price tags. All in all, the dining area looks okay but for a bill of approximately £300 (for six covers) I would have expected a higher standard and quality of food. Never again!

Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank katie186394
Yorkshire
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We have just returned from our second stay this year at HDV Newcastle..and again we stayed on the 75 pounds F and B promotion which allows a much reduced room rate if 75 pounds are spent in the restaurant. We eventually opted for a luxury suite and this certainly had the WOW factor - a huge mezzanine room, an 8 foot bed, twin baths on the mezzanine level, a lovely view of the Tyne, a very comfortable U-shaped settee and all the usual HDV luxuries and quirks. Our dinner in the restaurant was delicious and our "flights of wine" were an excellent way to taste three different wines - again the usual HDV excellent selection! Breakfast was lovely, very relaxed and a great choice. It seems that nothing is too much trouble for the hotel staff whether it be reception, bar, waiting staff or the wonderful cleaners.....the hotel sparkles and it is a great credit to their hard work. I have said it before and I will say it again...we will be back!!

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank calmaYorkshire
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We had to pay £165 for a room on the ground floor overlooking the smelly smoking area. There was no view whatsoever. I would consider the room a lot smaller and less well appointed than I would expect. It was certainly much darker than a room normally found in a 'lodge' type motel / hotel. The bed though comfortable was small compared to those often found in hotels of this supposed quality.
In all; considering the price I found the Hotel Du Vin very disappointing and certainly overpriced.
Having said that the bar area was pleasant, though again it was expensive, but the breakfast was very nice.
I'd much rather stay in a well appointed competitor that is lighter, brighter and with a view of the quayside.
I certainly could never recommend this hotel. For the price you can find much better.
Overall considering the price 4/10.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple