“Very nice hotel and dinner bed and breakfast recomended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel and dinner bed and breakfast recomended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

My wife and I stayed Saturday night for our first visit to Newcastle, we were very impressed by both the city and the Hotel du Vin.The staff were very helpful and despite a wedding having booked the restaurant our meal in a private room with other guests having dinner was very nice. Breakfast was in the restaurant with a great selection and again very good food.

1 Thank David W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Northumberland, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Tattinger suite on the corner of the building and we're seriously impressed with the size of the room and the standard of fixtures, fittings and decoration. The room had a huge bed with flat screen tv, roll top bath situated in front of huge window facing the river Tyne and a huge walk in shower. Everything was luxurious yet cozy and comfortable. Breakfast was nice with lots to choose from in terms of fruit, cereals, pastries etc but we did have a bit of a wait for the cooked option. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank JoScott
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My partner and I decided on a last minute weekend in Newcastle, and as such, our stay at the Malmaison was hampered by the fact that it was fully booked. It did however suggest Hotel du Vin as an alternative, so, with a recommendation it was duly reserved. The only rooms available were a standard or a twin, however there is an option on the website to upgrade on arrival, depending on availability.

I must have driven past countless times over the years and never given it a second thought, but the exterior certainly is unassuming and doesn't give any hint at what truly lies within. Upon arrival there was a wedding party in full swing, and as a result, the hotel was fully booked and the car park full! As a result of the latter, I was advised that several guests would be moving their cars and to park by the gate at the back/side so my car could be moved to the car park; handed my car keys to the lovely lady at reception (didn't get her name, but she was extremely courteous and lovely!) and off we went.

We ended up with the Moët & Chandon room, overlooking the courtyard. A quick appraisal revealed a simple yet tastefully decorated room; however, even with the lighting, remained rather dark. Not to worry, as I like a bit of ambience. The fully stocked mini bar did entice me, though with a dinner reservation elsewhere I was ushered out quick as you like with the promise of a drink at the bar downstairs while we waited for our taxi. Which didn't happen, as the bar was four deep with wedding goers and with 10 minutes to spare, we would have ended up having to neck our wine in record time. I was concerned that being so close to the courtyard that the wedding would be disruptive, however it was over by midnight when we returned, so no harm, no foul. The only slight negatives being that one of the bathrobes didn't appear to have been cleaned, as there was tomato residue, pip and all, on one side. Also when we came to leave, my car hadn't actually been moved from the gateway, and I found a pool of vomit less than a foot away from the driver side door. Being in a hurry to meet friends, I didn't have a chance to mention it and none actually seemed to be on the car.

The standard room was pretty much what you would expect from this type of hotel and there are some delightful little touches. I did find the actual room door difficult to open, but my other half insists that it was just me having a moment. Certainly intrigued by this place, though I'm not sure I'm intrigued enough for another an overnight stay (unless it was in a better/bigger room) definitely would like to try the bistro. Perhaps next time!

1 Thank MihasX
newcastle,england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Stayed here for third time. This time on the Dinner , Bed and Breakfast option which was the most we'd paid. Hotel lovely and the setting brilliant. Room just not as good as last time and the meal was pretty average after being beautiful previously. All a bit fatty. The other thing was that despite paying £165 all in we were not told that as part of restaurant week there was a steak option. I just feel that the option should have been given. Breakfast was definitely not as nice as previously either. A shame as may make us not keen to return.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We booked a Friday night special on recommendation from friends. Not a mistake, as soon as we stepped in through the entrance we were made to feel welcome and nothing was a trouble.
Our room was not quite ready on arrival and was escorted to the lounge bar area and provided with a complementary drink.
The room we were allocated was the "Penfolds" what a room, you had everything you could want for the comfort of a stay.
The minor details that the hotel went to was absolutely great.
We ate in the Bistro and the food was excellent, all the staff had smiling faces and willing to help and make our stay a very pleasant one. We will be definitely returning in the future.

1 Thank toonarmy53
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Excellent accommodation. If you go, get a room with a roll top bath. Lovely. All staff warm and helpful. I've stayed at many 4 and 5 star hotels but none have come close to the quality and choice for breakfast. Lovely walk along the riverside into town. If your tired, only £3.20 in a taxi. Best short stay in a hotel ever. Thank you.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Mcwookia40
Solihull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

This was the perfect location for a short break. We took advantage of a dinner, bed and breakfast package that was tremendous value.
Our room was comfortable with free Wifi and a Nespresso machine. The fresh milk in the minibar won my partner over immediately and Sky sports kept me happy. The bathroom was large and spotless and the a/c was welcome as temperatures rose.
The bistro was busy but the service was good. I had a couple of fantastic steaks while the "Veggie" certainly enjoyed her choices. The breakfast was possibly the best ever, from the freshly cooked full English to the baked eggs and the smoked haddock with hash brown and poached eggs was superb.
It is a short walk into the city and very convenient for the Baltic and Sage.

2 Thank Steve C