Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
Staybridge Suites Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
Excellent 5/5
  • Breakfast included
Malmaison Newcastle(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Newcastle Central(Newcastle upon Tyne)
  • Room Service
Newcastle Quayside Hotel(Newcastle upon Tyne)
Very Good 4/5
Premier Inn Newcastle Quayside(Newcastle upon Tyne)
1,091 results
All reviewsroll top bathmonsoon showermezzanine levelfree standing bathmezzanine bathroomnespresso machinehuge showersister hotelwedding nightcity centrelovely hotelbeautiful roomsuperior roomwalk in showerquayside areamini baran upgrade
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Recently stayed here for three nights. The historic building and the bedrooms are gorgeous, as is usually the case with the HdV chain, however the Newcastle HdV is close to a busy road, which means traffic noise can be a problem if your room is at the end of the hotel and next to the road.
I am not a driver but I gather there is only very limited parking available. The HdV is handy for the Q2 quayside bus service as the St Ann's stop is a few minutes walk away. It is also 10 minutes walk, max, to the Millennium Bridge, Sage, Baltic, the Malmaison sister hotel and the bars and restaurants of the Quayside.

The rooms I saw all had open plan-style bathrooms with gorgeous free-standing roll-top baths in the bedrooms and, in some cases, were a little exposed to the gaze of passers-by, drivers and parkers especially in the case of the ground floor rooms and suites. So it isn't really possible to soak in the tub and enjoy the view unless you are high up.

For the most part the HdV staff were an absolute delight during our entire stay -- smiley, chatty and full of Geordie bonhomie -- though the bistro did seem a little short-staffed which meant slightly longer waits for service at both dinner and breakfast.

Ate in the bistro, which was a mixed bag. The French onion soup starter was one of the best I have ever tasted, and believe me I am fussy when it comes to French onion soup, whereas the mains and desserts were a little disappointing. Be warned, too, that HdV levies a 10% service charge and leaves credit card slips open for gratuities so don't end up giving twice!

Bar staff were knowledgeable, personable and friendly, making my non-drinking partner an alcohol-free strawberry Valentine's Mojito, which she loved.

In sum, I would return but would request a quieter room away from the traffic noise next time.

4  Thank theoriginalsid
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My partner treated my to valentines night there. On arrival the reception desk staff were extremely friendly. One on the staff checked us in, asked if we had stayed there before and when we said no, personally took us to our room, which was a nice personal touch. We asked if she could book us a taxi to take us to City Centre which was not a problem, included in our valentines package was strawberries and champagne which they girl on reception told us to let her know when we got back from city centre and she would have it brought to our room. When we arrived back champagne and strawberries were delivered to us within 10 minutes.

Room was very good, nice décor and clean. Had meal in restaurant which was lovely served by yet again very pleasant staff. Breakfast also very nice.

All in all a lovely hotel with extremely pleasant, helpful staff, the manager should be proud of having such a good team.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
HDVRobTait, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Hi there,

Thank you for you wonderful comments.

The staff are a valued asset to the hotel and their departments. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Regards

Rob Tait

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Think this is the third time we have stayed at hdv Newcastle. Perfect again. Comfortably the best hotel in Newcastle, from what I've seen. Stayed in La Grande Dame, one of their top level of suites. Beautiful room. Huge super king size super comfortable bed. Two lovely big baths. Lovely monsoon shower. Very relaxing calm hotel. Easy two minute walk to the Baltic and the quayside. Bit of a walk into town, but easy to get a cab or a bus. Staff are always a bit stiff but nice and very courteous; pleasingly the lady who served us at checkin and checkout this time was actually really nice and personable and friendly, hdv should let their other staff be more like her. Tasty dinner and breakfast. Great hotel. Will stay again the next time I come to Newcastle.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
HDVRobTait, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Hi,

We encourage all of our staff to be themselves yet professional and they are always more than happy to go above and beyond to help our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards
Rob Tait

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We visited this Bistro for the first time on a Saturday night, it was busy in the bar and food areas. There was a group of us and we all ordered our meals and drinks. Two ordered the beef on the bone, one ordered a burger and we had a variety of other food and sides. The beef sauce was lovely, the veg was lovely but the main meat was awful. I received a bone covered in gristle and a horrible lump of fat, the other one was the same, inedible. the burger was half cooked and pink through the middle, needless to say we did not eat this food. I brought it to the attention of the waiter who could not care less and made no apology. We did not make a fuss as it was a friends birthday.The prices are very high, maybe typical of this type of bistro, but no excuse for poor food. The end bill was massive but the experience was not reflected in this.

Room Tip: I did not stay overnight
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SOPHMORGS
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for my husbands birthday I booked the hotel for 2 nights in a superior room the hotel is nice and clean and has impressive rooms when checking in I was told they would charge me £100 for the 2 nights on top of my bill "just incase" I spent in the bar or bistro,this does get refunded at the end of your stay, however I do think this is rather cheeky as on our second night we didn't use the hotel bar/restaurant! we ate out with friends!

Also i noticed they had charged me an extra £30 for NOTHING!!! i queried this and the receptionist apoligised and refunded!

i think the Friday Tonic package is really good value for money 3 course meal bottle of champers and the room i would recommend this as its a great offer with yummy food!!

there where a few things which the hotel could improve on replenish tea and coffee facilities and fresh milk each day NOT leave the dregs of the bottle from the day before for you to use!!
the hotel supplies nice toiletries however these where not restocked on our second night which i don't think it acceptable especially when they are so small!!
A later check out example 12pm!! 11am on a sunday is a little early!!
provide biscuits with the tea and coffee facilities like they do at the malmaison!!!

on check out i looked carefully over my bill only to notice the hotel charged me £20 for a helium balloon i had requested for my hubbys birthday i was shocked to say the least NO WAY does a standard balloon cost £20 i did mention this to the receptionist who then kindly refunded me.

i do feel there is an element of greed with this hotel and everything seems to be very pricey i know this is an upmarket hotel however i am not daft enough to buy a packet of milk buttons for £4.00 from the mini bar

overall we had a nice stay and the roll top baths are very relaxing, i would not return to the hotel du vin Newcastle

Room Tip: roll top baths are a lovley touch!!
1  Thank kayleigh N