“what an amazing hotel!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle

Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle
north east
“what an amazing hotel!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

i have stayed in many hotels, the majority 4-5 star, and i must say i was blown away with the stay i had!!!

we opted for £89 this was for room only, and cancellation before day of arrival. we got given the room and all rooms are named! when walking into the room it was breathtaking with a free standing bath and a huge bed with a patio dorr and when opening this, welcomed with terrace and bistro set!!!

the bathroom was huge with a walk in shower!!! breakfast was ordered separately with reception and were lucky we didnt get charged!!!! butey!!!!

the hotel itself is out of newcastle which is good as only £5 in a taxi to grey street! the hotel is spotless and the bar service was personalised and the barman made cocktails of ur choice if non on menu u fancied!!!!

even though we got a bargain i would pay top rate again and definitely choose this over malmaison, hilton in newcastle now!!

round of applause to you all at the hotel and thanks for a memorable stay :0)

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The hotel appears nice enough, and is very well kept in terms of cleanliness, but the service we received was absolutely appalling. Staff were unhelpful and downright arrogant. The prices were extortionate for food which wasn't the best.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Du Vin is 'nicely nestled' a one mile trip to the East of Newcastle and is something different from the norm. From the outside it looks o.k. but is slightly quirky in a strange way, not what was expected. The usual suspects of rooms, restaurant and staff etc. are quite good, even classy compared to the boring run of the mill we all look alikehotels that adorn the whole country and were fascinated by the 'cigar/smoking shelter' in the grounds. Although non smokers even we were impressed at something that cost reputedly in the region of £30,000.00!! On a good weather day you can stroll down to the river and enjoy a long stroll before luch. Would go again if asked the question.

Room Tip: Not a great deal of difference as such although others may have had a better snoop around.
Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Eddy B
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel, away from the hustle and bustle of Newcastle's city centre and yet only a £5 cab ride away. We had a room on the top floor, with double height ceilings and exposed beams, and a gorgeous bathtub ob one side of the bedroom which was near a small window and had great views of the city and Gateshead. It was snowing when we went and frankly I loved staying in the room and chilling! We ate in the bistro twice and although twice we tried to order the fish option and both times they had run out, the food was really really good and very affordable. The staff are attentive and know their wines (as you would hope!). Great place to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Those of you who have stayed in a Hotel du Vin before will know what to expect from this hotel. Comfortable rooms, good food, reasonable service and a moderate price tag.

Check-in was fine, although not perfect. The receptionist was not particularly friendly and seemed put out when I asked her how dinner worked in terms of payment (I'd booked to include dinner, but wasn't sure what this included).

The room was generally very good. Certainly above average in terms of comfort, well furnished and with good amenities (Nespresso machine always appreciated). If I were to be very picky I'd point out that the shower screen had gone a little mouldy and that the towels and bath robes were certainly not the 'softest ever' (their quote), but rather old and scratchy feeling. These are essentially minor points and are easily made up for in the size and comfort of the room.

I think it's unfair that previous reviewers have said this hotel looks 'tired'. I've stayed in much worse, but think it might need some TLC soon. Certainly in good enough condition to more than satisfy most travellers.

Dinner in the bistro was excellent with very good service. Having booked to include dinner made it very good value. Breakfast was also good as was the service.

The only major downside I would point out is the location. I'm a very fast walker and getting to the hotel from the station took me over half an hour. In the morning I had a meeting at the university and opted to fork out £10 for a taxi rather than walk there carrying my suitcase.

Overall, really quite a good hotel which represents good value. I consider myself quite a picky traveller, but couldn't find a great deal to fault.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We booked for Sunday lunch on Easter Sunday and the price reflected this fact, £24.95 for the meal, rather expensive so we expected something special. Soup arrived which was tepid. My partner went up to the buffet section to get bread and I joined him, during which time the soup was swiftly taken away, I asked for more for my partner and the waitress brought two back, when I said I didn’t want any the look I got could have killed! Anyway onwards we went, it has to be said that the buffet help yourself selection is second to none, potted shrimp, crab, fish, ham, pate, meats, lovely lovely food, no complaints here. However, we did feel rushed through this course, no sooner had we cleaned our plates then across came the waitress to take them and all the cutlery away, even though we said we would like to go up for more. I ordered the roast beef and my partner the steak. My beef was beautifully cooked although the accompanying veg, in particular parsnips, were very undercooked (I do like my veg crunchy but not raw) and the food was cold. My partners steak was also undercooked and the chips looked like they had been hanging around for a while, also they did resemble oven chips. Rhubarb crumble and crème brulee were okay, but only okay. All in all at £24.95 each a very expensive and disappointing Sunday lunch. Apart from the buffet everything else was very "ordinary". Whilst I appreciate the staff are busy the look we got from the waitress was inexcusable and now I wish I had said something but one doesn't like to make a scene! This restaurant needs to improve its main courses, cold food and undercooked veg is totally unacceptable when you are paying this sort of money. Don’t think we’ll be back. In fact I know we won’t!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alibobs_11
Gateshead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

How to start, this venue is totally out of the way and you have to make the effort to get there - had to use a taxi as it is too far out of Newcastle center to be handy.
The bar is too small to accomodate all the people who book tables in the restaurant so getting a drink before hand and sitting chatting is dependant on what time you get there. Big squashy sofas and chairs are fine if there is plenty of space and enough to accomodate.
The restaurant is noisy (it wasn't until the end of the evening that we could actually hear the background music), open plan to the kitchen is great you can see what is going on.
Menu choices were ok if a little overpriced for the quality of the food. My rare steak was so salty my mouth still feels dry 12 hours later. Desert choices were great and nice to see it all freshly made as opposed to bought in.
Service was average at best - we were asked when we first sat down if we wanted to order wine but we were not ready - having given our food order we then had to ask if we could order wine and even though there were empty bottles on the table we were not asked if we wanted any further drinks.
Delievery of food was slow .....very very slow,

All in all I have been and it wouldn't be at the top of my list of places to go back too.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends