I stayed one night at this hotel. They have converted a characterful building to create the hotel but because the day to day maintenance and service are poor, the whole comes across as pretentious.
My complaints are as follows:-
1. The corridor providing access to the rooms at ground floor level had a terrible pong. I would say there was a problem with the drains.
2. The corridors were cold - there were no visible heaters.
3. My room at the top floor at the front was freezing cold. After I complained the staff tried to sort this but it took until 3am or so to get the room to a reasonable temperature.
4. The lighting in the room was ideal for a honeymoon couple (say) but was hopeless for me as a business visitor having to read through papers after dinner. The room had a desk in the darkest part. I asked for a table lamp or similar, was promised one but none arrived.
5. The food was poor. My starter, a soufflé, was stodgy rather than light and fluffy. My main course of steak hache was grizzly meat, badly presented and offensive in taste. I pointed out the problem with the soufflé but heard nothing. When the main was poor I gave up and did not bother with pudding or indeed breakfast the following morning.
From comments made by front desk staff, the place was probably under-staffed but there was a surfeit of people in the restaurant who did little but engage in their own banter and tittle tattle.
I recommend that this place is avoided.
Kishandes, Maidstone, Kent, UK
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Hotel du Vin & Bistro Newcastle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Du Vin And Bistro Newcastle
- Du Vin Hotel