“Warm Welcome & Great Food”
Review of Red Mezze

Red Mezze
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: MODERN TURKISH RESTAURANT SERVING HALAL COLD AND HOT MEZZES, BBQ DISHES, MEAT, FISH AND VEGETARIAN DISHES, TURKISH DESSERTS, TEA AND COFFEES.
ASHINGTON
“Warm Welcome & Great Food”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We visited this restaurant last night, and although we hadn't sampled Turkish food in the UK before we were very pleasantly surprised. The welcome from all staff was warm and welcoming, the menu was traditional Turkish and well described. The food was delicious and very well presented plus offering very good value for money. We have already planned our next visit and menu selection! Well worth a visit.

1 Thank ADY25

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic and delicious!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Huge Fan of this place! I have been many times and each visit has been fantastic! The food is full of flavour, absolutely delicious and always cooked to perfection. The staff are very friendly and service is efficient and polite. A great atmosphere in this vibrant and exciting restaurant. Look forward to my next visit. My favourite dish is the cold mezze to start, tantalising to the taste buds.

1 Thank Amy N
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“good turkish food”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

the staff and the food were great, the cost of the meal was very reasonable and the drinks were average price. the restaurant was a little crowded and not much space between the tables
Will go again.

Visited December 2013
“Reheated food which tasted like cardboard”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I visited Red Mezze for tea with my husband on 18/12/13.
I have been before and liked it, but this was my second consecutive poor experience (I hoped the last bad time was a one-off).
The staff are very nice, and the decor is lovely, but the food is so poor now that that is why I have rated a 2.
My husband ordered meatballs for starter; obviously reheated, swimming in a little pool of red grease, and not even hot all the way through. Obviously not microwaved for long enough!
My starter was falafal. What arrived were bullet shaped crusts, which also were not that hot, and tasted like cardboard. Totally flavourless, as well as obviously pre-made and reheated.

The main (Chicken wrap) was actually quite tasty. The only issue is, I am pregnant and did not want to chance poorly reheated old rice, so I asked if they could swap my rice for chips. The waitress told me "they don't do that here, all the meals are served as on the menu". I think this means they are pre-prepared and can't be altered. So I paid the extra and bought chips on the side. Don't know what happened to listening to what the customer wants....

Overall, I won't be going back to Red Mezze, it has been a victim of its own hype and standards have fallen. For similar cuisine the Al Baik on the end of the Byker bridge is much tastier, all fresh food, and cheaper too. What a disappointment, as I used to recommend Red Mezze to everyone :( Was gutted that we spent £35 on such a poor meal.

• Visited December 2013
20 Thank 2marshallsonthego
“Turkish delight”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a busy friday night before a show after searching Tripadvisor for local restaurants. Despite not making a booking, the helpful waiter found us a table, although he did point out that it was required for a reservation in under an hour. Since we were in a hurry anyway, we said this was fine but had our doubts as to whether we would get served in time.
As it was, we had nothing to worry about. Even though they were incredibly busy, the waitress served us in minutes and the first course arrived within 10 minutes - avci boregi , deep fried filo parcels and Mantar Soslu, mushrooms in tomato and pepper sauce. Both were absolutely delicious! The mushroom dish is one of the best I have EVER had.
The main courses were similarly prompt and just as fabulous. I had the mixed grille which was stunning and my wife had the King Prawns in garlic. The quality of ingredients and standard of cooking and presentation were excellent.
We were easily satisfied and ready to leave within the hour (there was no way we were ever going to manage a desert!). Then the final surprise came in the form of the bill. Despite ordering the most expensive main courses on the menu, the total came to only £36!!
This was my first experience of turkish cuisine but this restaurant has definitely made me a convert. This was the best meal I have had in months. We can't wait to go back and take the kids.