“You Get What You Pay For”

Lau's Buffet King Restaurant
Ranked #903 of 1,262 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“You Get What You Pay For”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

On the way to the Newcastle Discovery Museum my partner and I popped into Mr Lau’s in China Town it was just after 1pm on a Friday afternoon and it was packed! We were shown to our table as soon as we got in the door and the friendly staff took our drinks order.

The food was just what you’d expect from a buffet restaurant nothing flash but all of it tasty and restocked non-stop every dish was piled high and topped up if it got anywhere near empty. There was a huge choice of dishes including soups, lemon and sweet and sour chicken, sweet and sour pork, beef, fresh prawns, mussels, spring rolls, egg foo young and lots more including a salad bar.

For deserts there was a large choice of fruit, ice creams, banana and pineapple fritters, Swiss roll and waffles. One very odd thing was in the middle of the desert trays there where two tray with chips and chicken curry in them?

There was more on offer than we could both try in one visit. I can’t understand the really bad reviews on here what do people expect for a lunch time special costing £5.50? It’s not fine dining it’s pile it high sell it cheap but the foods hot and tastes good the staff are helpful and fast to clean the plates away.

The place was packed with locals the whole time we were in there while other buffets where almost empty so that speaks for itself. If I remember right it was £5.50 from 12pm till 4pm then £6.50 4pm till 6pm and £8.50 6pm till 10:30pm not sure about weekend prices. We paid £2.20 for Coke and I think larger and cider were £2.60 a pint. We’d go back again anytime well worth a visit.

• Greek first
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Good Value Buffet”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Visited as a group of 4, working in Newcastle and looking for a cheap meal one evening. Great value £8 as much as you can eat buffet. Buffet contents regularly refreshed. Staff very friendly and pleasant. Probably used by students in the main but good food and plenty of it if you wanted.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A good cheap all you can eat place”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I like coming here cause it's a no-frills buffet - went today in the mood for a Chinese and it didn't disappoint - they had good food at a reasonable price. I don't understand why people whine about this place - it's not a restaurant type place, it's a buffet, you get what you pay for - it's cheap for a reason and the food is alright.
I had a nice evening here - I would recommend the salt and pepper chicken.

1 Thank Mantis3
Whitley Bay, England, United Kingdom
“Disgusting food”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I visited this place with my wife. I am not keen on Buffet Restaurants because I have found in the past that the food is never very fresh and usually when they bring out more food they put it on top of the old food and just mix it in.
This place is no exception only worse!
To begin with the place is DIRTY especially the toilets which REEKED of stale urine. The floors were not very clean either. Worst of all was the food, everything tasted stale and I suspect some of it had been there for days.
I think I tasted everything and NONE of it was fresh and absolutely laden with SALT. This is BY FAR the worst food I have ever experienced.
I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt and eat some of this rubbish from the starters and maoin courses but felt sick. When I got Home I had to eat something and drink a strong coffee just to take the disgusting taste away then My wife and I were up nearly ALL NIGHT just drinking water because of the SALT.
I swear to God that this place is truly crap and the ultimate restaurant nightmare, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT EAT IN THIS D U M P!!!! ... Oh almost forgot, the following day I had terrible stomach cramps and was never off the Toilet!
How they get away with the Health Authorities beats me!!!!!

2 Thank Brian H
Scarborough Yorkshire. UK
“Very Average”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Paid our second visit and was very disappointed not a good as first .
The member of staff showing us to our table never spoke until we sat down and she asked what drinks we wanted before we had chance to take our coats off. Asked for a few minutes to check what was on offer she walked away and never came back, eventually had to ask another waiter for some drinks. No explanation given as to what to do at the buffet but as we had been before we knew.
Food not too good, noodles cold other items luke warm. As a dessert I opted for a piece of strawberry tart which had just been put out, unfortunately it was frozen solid.
Doubt if we will visit again or recommend to anyone

• Visited February 2013