“Dogs and Bands”

Ranked #449 of 1,326 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We went to see Jim Lockey and The Solemn Sun here but decided to go early to get some food. It was busy in the pub but maybe people just had the same idea as us, it wasn't a problem., we were able to get a seat no problem.

The food was suprisingly great, I really enjoyed my hot dog and dessert. I can't think of anywhere else in Newcastle that has a menu like The Cluny's. The staff were pleasant and the price is really good. I would come back and eat again.

For gigs, I've been to more before this time and the venue is brillant. A great size for an intimate experience.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Came here at the end of August 2012 and it's taken me up until now to get over the awful experience I had there!! Staff were obnoxious and downright rude, when standing at the bar waiting to get served by the guy who was on his phone- he let me stand there for a good 2-3 minutes before directing me to the other area of the bar to order food. Whilst the girl who took my food order was friendly, she then said I would have to go back to the other guy to order my drinks as they have two separate tills. So I went back to the guy and ordered a diet coke, then to be told there is a minimum spend of £10 (even tho I had just spent £7 on a food order) and the only cash point in the pub had a service charge of £2. what a joke! I was able to pay on card for a £7 food order but drinks had to be a minimum of £10- where is the sense in that? Food came after a long wait and was awful, my burger was cold and tasteless, no-one came to our table to check on our food and when we left, the dirty plates were still on the table. Such a shame as it is set in a lovely part of Newcastle, but this place is a massive let down.

1  Thank J B
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Went here a few weeks ago with my husband for Sunday lunch.Wasn't impressed!The dinner itself was average and the place looked dirty and scruffy.There's a really strong smell of urine about the place too(back area seats near to where toilets are.I have always liked and enjoyed the venue but it wouldn't be somewhere I would return to for food.

1  Thank deadredhead
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Great atmosphere as ever.

Quiet on a Sunday which is unusual

Great Sunday lunch and a good price too. The portions are huge so I couldn't even manage a dessert which looked great.

Beer selection not as good as normal but still good

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Loved the atmosphere and the choice of beers in this place, i was a bit disappointed with my sausage and mash..a bit small and the mash was a bit chewy like it had been microwaved too long..however my companion had a mushroom burger with haloumi and said it was fantastic..(just my luck!) I would give this place another go though as it seemed a nice place to be.