“Alright but not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Puccini

Puccini
Ranked #378 of 1,251 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
South Shields, England, United Kingdom
“Alright but not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We went here 2 weeks ago to pay the deposit for our Xmas meal in Dec and ate at the same time. 2 dishes off the specials menu, half a pizza and chips and a pasta. £4.95 each at happy hour which is similar to the other Italians in the street. Food was alright but chips were very starchy. Pizza didn't have much taste either and they only have balsamic vinegar for your chips. Tastes alright but the black chips don't look great. After being in mamma Mia's a few weeks before this place falls very short in every area. Service was quick but people were just starting to come in. The manager should read these reviews and make changes like mamma Mia's do.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Appalling from start to finish!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We visited this restaurant as a group of 10 on Saturday 1st December for a Birthday meal, heard it was cheap and cheerful which was all we wanted as were going around town for a few cocktails afterwards. Arrived to a warm welcome, was seated fairly swiftly although had to wait for drinks as the girl behind the bar had vanished! There was a blonde lady who I later found out was the Manager took or order very swiftly and friendly. After that it all went down hill from there, waited nearly 25 minutes for our starters which were average, nothing special but edible. The waiters weren't very helpful you had to keep requesting drinks and try and catch someone's eye as they never checked if you were ok or drinks. Mains took a further 25 minutes from the plates being taken from the starters, once again lack of service for the drinks, was left waiting! Mains arrived all but one, waiter comes back 5 minutes later when he has located what the problem was and advised "the chef burnt the calzone and is making a new one" and walked away without any apologies or asking if that was ok! Bearing in mind they had served all of our meals knowing this, so we are all left eating awkwardly. 20 minutes later still no calzone and unable to get any of the waiters attention, so I decided to approach the front of house and requested the manager. I explained to the manger what had happened as she was unaware, made her aware that I was appalled with the service and the lack of a basic apology, and how appalled I was that her chef had burnt the food, for the manager to reply " how dare myself cities her staff and her waiter would have apologised for the burnt calzone and screamed at myself to sit down and get out of her face" at the same time she prodded myself in the chest! As she did this I demanded she provide me with details of the proprietor of the restaurant as she had just assaulted and spoke to myself in such an unprofessional and un-necessary manner. The Manager then responded by suggesting she was the proprietor also! If that is the case it is a good indicate on why the whole experience was so dismal and explains her disgusting lack of customer service. 3 of the 10 main meals we ordered weren't edible so we had to send them back and claim a refund which the staff weren't reluctant at first to give!

Advice is to AVOID this restaurant and pay a little e tea at the many good Italians around Newcastle city centre.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Stephil2007
“avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

well, after being recommended by a friend, me and my husband thought we would give it a try! it has to be one of the worst meals I have ever had!! starters weren't too bad, but main course was terrible! I had king prawns in a garlic sauce served on a bed of rice, the prawns were left with the black tube of poo in!! so I tried to eat the rest of meal but was put of completely, the waiter/waitress never done a check back on our meal, so I just never ate it! I then complained afterwards to the waiter who then said that they come like that, "it says on the menu" after speaking to another waitress about it, she then went and spoke to the chef who said because I had ate some of the other prawns they couldn't do anything about it!! disgusting really! As I know for a fact they should of! We will never be returning!! So please avoid!!

Newcastle
“Works night out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Just had a works night out there should have been 20 of us but only 15 turned up. we had to put down a £100 deposit that would be taken off our bill (no problem so far) as there was 5 missing the extra table was removed so they could use it.
The food came and it was good value as we had the special (less than fiver) the garlic bead was a little dry but we did have a house white wine that was very good.
The only disappointing part was when the bill came and they still charged us £5 per person for those that did not attend even thou they were able to fill the extra table twice over.
The service was good and deserved a good tip that they would have received if they had not been that petty over the deposit.
might go as a couple again but would not recommend going as a big group.

• Visited November 2012
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Friendly restaurant, keen to help”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We visit Puccini's regularly and it is a lovely little Italian restaurant hidden away down Pudding Chare! Friendly staff, always willing to accommodate when they can. Fills regularly so booking on a weekend advised!

• Visited November 2012