“Fab!”

Kensington House Aparthotel
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Fab!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night trip to newcastle with my husband and two kids. Having spent 2 sleepless nights at the premier apartments in the centre of town (unbelievably noisy!), although that is my only complaint. we simply couldn't stay another night. We were recommended the Kensington house apart hotel in jesmond, a lovely part of town. We were met by a lovely lady and shown to our gorgeous apartment. Modern and stylish decor throughout. Immaculately clean. Had all the necessary appliances and conveniences i.e washing machine and sky tv! Close to town. Ample parking. More importantly, had the best nights sleep! Very quiet. You couldn't here any outside noise and you wouldn't know if there was anybody else staying there as the walls are so deep. It was blissful! Will be returning soon and would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
GillHall, General Manager at Kensington House Aparthotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had a good nights sleep very important when you have children to entertain. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

KInd regards

Gillian Hall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Isle of Mull, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

They stole £50 from my debit card without my permission and refused to give it back.
I have had to contact trading standards.
Plain awful attitude towards clients. The reception staff were rude and unhelpful.

The Kensington House Aparthotel listed themselves with hotels.com (the booking agency I used to book my stay).
Their online listing stated that I would need to enter my card details to reserve the room but no payment would be taken until arrival at the hotel, yet the Kensington took £50 off my card without my permission!
Their listing also stated 'Free cancellation can be made up until 2 days before the check-in day'.
I did need to cancel and when I asked for my £50 back they refused!
I have spent so long trying to get my money back, but it doesn't look like I will ever see my hard earned cash again. They pretended that they were not listed with hotels.com even though hotels.com cannot list a hotel like the Kensington house without them agreeing, plus they managed to access my card details from the hotels.com website enabling them to help themselves to £50 of mine.
They are currently listed with hotels.com at this web address:

Pretending to be ignorant is no excuse, a hotel should know exactly where they stand with their agencies.

The Kensington house aparthotel are con artists.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wee-muileach
GillHall, General Manager at Kensington House Aparthotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
You booked an apartment in January2012 for the Great North Run Weekend which is september,not October, £50 non refundabledeposit was taken off your card as explained on all booking sites for all weekend bookings we take a £50 non-refundable deposit, you rang and complained we explained that these were our conditions but we would be quite happy to cancel your reservation and refund your money you were extremly rude and unpleasant to our receptionist, but said you wanted to keep the booking.

Three weeks before arrival you cancelled the booking and started all over again about the deposit which we had offered to refund in January. We had kept this booking for you for 8 months. We did offer to transfer your depaosit to another date but this was not acceptable to you either.

We are not unsympathetic to geniune guests who cancel bookings for a variety of reasons and have refunded in full on occasions, moved bookings etc.

As your review shows with the inflamatory use of words you were difficult to deal with, we will be passing this on to our company solicitor for further advice.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

As it was my 21st my uncle decided to 'surprise' me and book me an apartment for the night but because of security reasons i had to use my card to pay it. Which in my eyes is a faf! So not really what you call a surprise, then i added 2 extra guests which was £50 which fair enough but the £50 deposit had already been payed but i got told the total to pay was £300 which by my calculations was wrong but clearly the person who dealt with the payment next day took the right amount of £250, when we got there to check in i was very impressed with it then Unfortuently when i tried to get dealt with a rude guest kept going on about how his key didn't work but anyway... Then the receptionist said so have you got your cash bundle? MY WHAT? £100 deposit? Not on anywhere on that website did it say ANYTHING about a £100 deposit and i couldn't even leave a bank card normally in hotels you can, luckily we had it between the 6 of us but left us short, obviously the next day we got the full amount back as we wasn't going to behave like a bunch of hooligans, the receptionist said 'we sent you e-mails and a letter' BUT it was only 2 weeks before that i gave my e-mail address over the phone how many times ive had to inform the staff my UNCLE had booked it, the room was lovely but in my eyes not worth it the beds however was fab! Comfiest ive ever slept in, a good choice of hot drinks, but 4 small cartons of milk between 6? Check out was fairly no problem had to wait a bit for someone to check our room for the return of the deposit, she asked if i had a good night which i thought was very nice, all in all i would 100% come back again, ... Maybe not in a group next time

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you for your review. This booking was exrtremely complicated we tried on many occasions from a variety of phone calls to various people to get the balance of this booking.

We take a £50 non-refundable deposit for all weekend bookings, we take a cash bond not bundle which is returned on departure after apartments are checked.

It is pretty straight forward just some people make it more complicated than it really is but we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great to be independent in a lovely flat yet still have 24 hour reception service for any questions. Very spacious and the kitchen is well equipped. Waitrose a 15 minute walk away - essential for buying breakfast as the continental one supplied in the flat is very basic! Not very central but lots of places to eat before you get to Waitrose! Bathroom fine but instructions on how to use the shower would help!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, reception are always on hand to help our guests if you have diffuculty using any of the appliances. We look forward to seeing you again in the fututre.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I just returned from staying here whilst on a weekend away with a group of friends. The apartments are very nice with great interior, the only inconvenience we had is that our two bedroom apartment only had one bathroom. Me and my friends are used to going away in big groups and tend to find large apartments usually have two bathrooms - it's only a problem if you're a group of girls and each take a while to get ready otherwise i'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. The apartments are a taxi ride into town so not really walkable as it's across motorways and massive roundabouts, I guess you could walk if you really wanted to but we chose a taxi ride every time. Reception would always call us a taxi and we never had to wait very long so again no real issues with this plus they're dirt cheap up there anyway.

The Kensington has a rather odd policy of requiring £100 per room cash deposit when you arrive, we're used to being able to secure on a credit card. We weren't aware of this so meant everybody was without some of their money for the weekend. When we checked out they required every single member of our party (10 in total in 3 rooms), not each room individually, to be present before giving us back £300. This made checking out a rather tedious and lengthy process but all was well in the end.

Overall lovely apartments and would recommend if you don't mind grabbing a taxi into town.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, it is possible to walk into town from Kensington using footpaths avoiding motorways and roundabouts directions available from reception.

We do have have apartments available with a bathroom and a en suite these can be requested when making a booking.

On arrival with all groups we request a £100 per apartment bond (not deposit) this is a collective bond per group any damage in any apartment and the bond is forfeited. Unfortunately a small percentage of people do not look after our apartments as we would like, any damage has to be paid for. We tried taking credit cards but it is amazing how many decline. We find this is the easiest way.

This procedure is discussed in detail with the person who makes the booking, it is also on the confirmation which is sent to the person making the booking

I am glad it didn't detract from your stay and look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

Nice accommodation, nice location.. Quiet at night with good facilities ! Shame wifi is driven by an annoying code system at £5 per device per 24 hours, its not convenient when there's multiple people in an apartment with multiple devices.. Charge more for the rooms and open the wifi up !

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you for your lovely review we do take on board all of our guests comments and we are looking at ways we can address the wi fi system.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I booked in here on a weekend stay for business and was very pleased with my stay. The apartment was modern, spacious and comfortable and the free SKY TV was an added bonus for a football fan such as myself on a weekend away from home, the movie afterwards left it feeling like a home away from home.

The location is also excellent - only a short walk from Jesmond, a bustling mini high-street away from the town centre with plenty of restaurants and bars to choose from.

The real bright point of my stay here was the level ogf help I had from reception. The lady there helped me with every query I had, from printing work documents to giving me directions and helping me with the heating control in my room (nothing wrong with it, just me needing help!). Overall, a fantastic stay. Next time I'm in Newcastle - for business or pleasure - I know where I'll be staying.

Room Tip: There are two car parks with easy access from first (front car park) or basement floor (rear).