“Overnight in the Surrey Hills”

Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haslemere
Reviewed July 15, 2013

As a last minute decision (same day), given we have two young kids, we decided to break our trip down to Goodwood Festival of Speed with a stopover. A quick tripadvisor / Kayak scan and we found the Lythe Hill. Spoke directly and reserved a family room for £129.

On arrival (late 9:20pm), check in was easy, efficient and polite and we made our way to the room. Unbundled kids from car, assembled travel cot and placed eldest in sofa bed already made up by hotel.

The room was large suite, had separate lounge area, separate good size bathroom and large double master bedroom. So good value and gave us the space to not wake kids by putting on TV or when room service arrived. Furniture and decor was a little tired, but all round clean and comfortable.

Didn't try restaurant for evening meal (late + kids + felt overpriced); but room service menu was reasonable and food was good. Breakfast was good, with a lovely view.

Would stay at again and try spa.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Noakesi
LytheManager, General Manager at Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Noakesi

Thank you so much for your review.
We are pleased you chose to stay with us on the spur of the moment and that you had a great time.

Do come again

Simon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having stayed once before and had a wonderful time, I had no idea my 2nd visit would exceed my 1st.
This time I stayed for 3 nights for a friends wedding and booked into the Blackdown Suite (beautiful room)!!! It is right on the terrace with beautiful views over the surrounding countryside. Bathroom was a great size with bathtub and big walk in shower. Once again the staff were amazing and nothing is too much trouble. They look after you remarkably well. Food of course was superb and don't forget to have the lovely breakfast.

I'm booked in again next week and looking forward to my 3rd visit already.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear djwill74

Thank you for another lovely review.
We were thrilled to have welcomed you and your lovely wife back and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

What can I say? location was perfect, overlooking the Surrey Hills and surrounded by woodland. The bar and terrace was overlooking the lake which was perfect for chilling with the rabbits and ducks. Swimming pool in a separate block with the spa and gym comes with its own terrace, prefect for sun bathing.
All staff members were smart, professional and with a smiley, friendly attitude.
The wedding was in the gazebo by the lake, followed by champagne in the shade under the willow tree. The wedding breakfast in the garden room was delicious, so perfectly cooked.
Breakfast was very tasty, possibly the best sausages I have had in a hotel!!!!!
The room we had, in the main building, was a suite with twin beds in the main room and a sofa bed in the lounge room with the bathroom in between. although it was a hot weekend the room is shaded so never got uncomfortably hot.
We will definitely be back at some point - we only wish we could have stayed for a 3rd night - the idea of afternoon tea on the terrace sunday afternoon was like heaven!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Tyler-hull

Many thanks for your review.
The team and I are thrilled you had a great stay and do hope you come and try that afternoon tea in the near future !

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just returned from a one night stay and everything was fantastic. Loved the setting, the room, the spa, the food and most of all the friendly, helpful staff. It was amazing value and I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear CathyT

Thanks so much for your review.
The team and I are thrilled you had a fantastic stay and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My partner took me for a birthday treat. Lovely surroundings, quiet and peaceful. Very relaxing to sit on the terrace watching the rabbits frolic in the evening.Spa is lovely, clean and well looked after. I had two treatments which were wonderful. The swimming pool area was not busy so we had a lounger...there are only ten . I liked that there were no children.There is a discount for Hotel guests on treatments. Dinner in the restaurant was superb. Breakfast in contrast was not; it wasn't bad just very ordinary with one of those old fashion toasters where you have to make your own toast. I like my toast to be made for me!Supermarket sliced bread, run of the mill cereals They miss a trick by not having locally sourced produce and some of the variety of home made breads served at dinner. Staff were at all times friendly and helpful. We had a classic room which was a bit jaded ( ripped chair , dull furnishings) so i would think of upgrading. 10% service charge is added with out consultation. The Spa and restaurant are located in a separate buildings 5 to 10 minutes from the bedrooms..which is not noticeable on a warm day but i am not sure i would like to traipse in my robe when it is raining. We will visit again as i think the positives out weigh the negatives and i came away feeling i had a good break.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive room.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Shariwestsussex

Thank you so much for your review.
We are pleased you had a fantastic time with us.
With regards breakfast we are focusing very hard on driving local and home grown produce in all areas. We now have our own herb gardens and are in the process or cultivating nearly an acre of land for vegetables and salad ingredients. All the meats at breakfast are sourced very locally. We have found in the past that by adding a cereal on that is un-known it simply never gets used.
Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have just returned from the Lythe Hill Hotel, where I spent the most relaxing time, spent in the glorious surroundings of this first class establishment. I really cannot fault anything during my stay. from the check in experience to the rooms and dining, this hotel really delivers where it matters. I had dinner in the restaurant which has two styles of decor, so should you wish to step back in time and dine in a 14th century wood paneled room which just reeks of history or walk through a doorway to step into the here and now with a beautiful contemporary room which would not be out of place in Harpers magazine. So the setting is complete can they deliver when it comes to the cuisine. the answer is a resounding YES. I dine on ham hock terrine with local black pudding and Quails egg with sour cream and piccalilli ( divine), followed by a melody of pork as my main and finished of with deconstructed strawberry cheesecake (both sublime).
I awoke the next morning convinced I had overslept as I could here nothing in my room, despite the windows being open, imagine my surprise when it was 7.30am, I had slept so soundly in the bed that had cradled me during my slumber, that it appeared to have refreshed my bones in a shorter than usual time . so I arose and enjoyed a cup of tea catching up on the news before heading over for breakfast. Again I was not disappointed with the available items and definitely gives our Scottish breakfast a run for its money.
In short if you are looking for an independent hotel with unique charm and a warm welcome then you cannot go wrong with giving this charming hotel a visit.
I did not have time to partake of the numerous spa facilities available but will definitely make sure I make time on my next visit to have a couple of treatments and relax by the pool afterwards.

A big well done who who ever is making this place a pleasure to visit, I foresee a great future for this property, But don`t tell everyone we don`t want this secret to get out!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Dear AubreyDickson

Thank you so very much for your fantastic and detailed review.
The team and I are so pleased you had a great time with us and do hope you will come and see us again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had a really lovely stay on a midweek spa break. The bed was amazingly comfortable, the evening meal absolutely delicious, served in a 14th century building, with friendly staff. The grounds were beautiful, with rabbits outside our window at sunset. The only complaint was that the room was rather hot, but that's it - would thoroughly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ahg37

Thank you so much for your review.
We are delighted you had a great stay with us

Simon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Haslemere
The Georgian Hotel
#1 of 8 in Dorking
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Old Thorns Golf & Country Estate
Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa

Been to Lythe Hill Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!