“Charming”

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Charming”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Nice old building in beautiful grounds, quiet. Heard an owl and a woodpecker and watched pheasants sparring on the lawn.
Nice traditional dining room,wooden panels. Lunch and evening meal excellent. Breakfast not as good and standard of English of one or two of the staff not too good.
Lovely room, nr.3. Shower not brilliant and some of the carpets in public areas showing signs of wear.
The spa was lovely.
All in all great value for money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2011

Coming from a young couple 18-21!! I stayed at this hotel for valentines day with my partner, I would definately recommend the hotel and spa to friends and family and will be returning again soon. I read these reviews before I stayed, Im not going to lie I was dreading it! But as soon as I was met by the receptionist and entered the room I was staying in it all changed, the reviews on this page is not at all what I experienced. Ok the room was abit old fashioned, but thats the hotel itself, Its not a modern 'travelodge etc' I kno everyone has there own opinion, but I feel that they are really over exaggerating.
The staff were VERY polite, the swimming pool was excellent, the jacuzzi was even better! As for the steam room and sauna, I thought they were amazing too! I couldnt be any happier with my experience at this hotel. The hotel room was warm, lovely and very clean, room service was great too!!! The food was good, although I didnt stay for the breakfast to tell you about that. If your looking too stay at this place and some of these reviews are putting you off, dont let them!!!!! Thankyou for such a pleasent visit!!

Chertsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed at the Manor House on one of their 'Dinner, Bed and Breakfast' deals. The hotel staff were unfailingly helpful, polite, courteous and professional.
The evening dinner was spectacular, for the price paid. The inclusive table d'hote menu gave reasonable choice and the food was very well presented indeed. The maitre'd had the interest and experience to make the meal very special, this was totally unexpected and a very pleasant surprise.
The room was OK with a good-sized bath, but the walls seemed rather thin with sounds coming through rather too easily from the adjoining room.
The hotel has a superb pool/sauna/steam room complex available to guests FOC and we took full advantage of that.

The breakfast was disaappointing. The buffet choice was a very limited 6 hot items, with toast to order. The cereal/cold selection was quite good and there were plenty of drink options available, but overall the breakfast was not in the same league at all as the previous night's dinner.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2011

I attended the hotel this weekend with my girlfriend for our year anniversary and after reading all the reviews, I thought I made an awful mistake. I have to say though that I was so pleased I attended and my girlfriend absolutely loved it. I paid for a room upgrade and stayed in 45 which was a huge room with a four poster bed, en suite with a spa bath and a large sofa. The room was really nice, very smart and I was blown away. The hotel is obviously old but it has character and the spa is amazing. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and wouldnt hesitate to come back. If in doubt, definitely stay in room 45!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hayward223
UK
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I agree with all of the comments made so far tired, dirty, dodgy food, cold etc. However, I had the added bonus of being told by the waitress that the room I was staying in was haunted!!

Well thanks for that! Not only was I cold and hungry but I was also paranoid! In the end I slept with the TV on (well tried to sleep)...

Once was enough for me.....

Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank wrennas
jonnyonbusiness, Owner at Manor House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2011
Whilst sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay and appreciate that room 9 isn't our best, but we were full at the time, our General Manager occupies this room when he is staying over and on numerous inspections the room was found to be clean and warm. Not sure where the haunted came from possibly a miss judged bad joke, sorry.

Travelers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Reviewed December 29, 2010

Hotel is very tired! If you like dust stay here.

Negatives: poor decor, rooms smelly and cold. No lift!

Positives: friendly hotel staff, lovely spa and gym. Very nice pool. Beauty treatments good value for money and spa staff very helpful!

Overall: don't stay for a few years in the hope of a update happening before then but worth going to the spa!

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank Tripjim00
jonnyonbusiness, Owner at Manor House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
We appriciate all feedback and undertand that the decor of the hotel may not be to every ones tast but the Manor House Hotel, while catering for business guests and leisure breaks is a very popular wedding venue and a cold modern decor similar to chain hotels would not be in keeping with the character of the building nor to the tasts of the majority of our customers who prefer 'individual' and 'traditional'. Most of the hotel has been re decorated within the past couple of years in a traditional style.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2010

The driveway to the hotel looked lovely but the porch into the hotel was covered with cigarette butts despite the no smoking notices. The smoking area is at the back of the hotel but as this is never enforced all the smokers stand outside the main entrance so you have to walk through their smoke to get to reception - not pleasant. Once inside the hotel the interior is quite a disappointment. Very dated and not even in a charming way just really rundown and in desperate need of revamping.
The room (once we had found it traipsing with our bags up two flights of stairs - no lift or help from front desk with our bags) was freezing, damp and had an over-powering air freshener plugged in near the bathroom to mask the smell of sewage - it was not a great first impression. I attempted to turn on the old fashioned panel heater with little success. A small amount of heat was being emitted when on maximum but it did not sufficiently heat up the area around the heater let alone the room (despite it being a small room).
Thought a hot shower would warm things up - unfortunately the bathroom was a disaster in DIY - the blind did not roll easily down and the shower over the bath had been installed under a staircase meaning the shower space was quite small if you are over two foot tall. The toilet was right next to the shower so there was not much space getting in and out of the shower. The rest of the bathroom was quite spacious as all the fixtures were shoved at one end, although it did smell. There was also a notice pinned to the wall advising that extra toilet paper would be chargeable at 25p per roll and toiletries were available for extra cost too - not very welcoming.
Went to get into bed and noticed that the bedspread was dubiously stained so put it on the floor and then noticed that the blanket was also badly stained and not clean at all, it was disgusting. That left the sheet as the only clean bedding provided - not great when it was minus 8 degrees outside and the heater does not have much of an output - I went to bed fully dressed and even then I was cold and debated putting my coat back on. The bed was a small double and very uncomfortable and those sloping ceilings were back again - this time with the top of the bed being under a slope so you could not sit back on the pillows as the ceiling was in the way.
In the morning the shower was freezing, noisy and had little pressure, more of a dribble so we ventured down to breakfast. The hotel was busy so there were no tables or staff around to help with the seating so we wandered around until we found somewhere to sit. The waiter said he would lay up the table so we went to get some food. Unfortunately there were no more clean glasses with the juices so we could not have any but the hot buffet looked nice, although not much left and this was an hour before breakfast finished. Once back at the table there was still no cutlery, when the waiter did eventually come back to us our food was stone cold and he was unable to re-heat it and there was no more food at the buffet for us to get another serving. So it was cold egg on toast or nothing.
I complained to the receptionist who was very professional and took all our point on board and asked for our number so the manager could contact us the next day to discuss our complaint further and she took £25 off the bill. She seemed to be well versed in dealing with complaints!
Two (!) days later the manager contacted us and was quite defensive saying the roller blind did work if played around with it (should blinds not be simple to operate?) and the panel heater was on a timer and was old. In the ten hours I was in the room for not, once did it turn on. I did ask him what he thought of the stained bedding he could only apologise but rudely asked me “do you not think it is worth £50 to stay in a hotel and have breakfast”, not really sunshine if the room is cold and dirty and the breakfast cold and inedible. He eventually refunded a further £25 so we paid a total of £25 for our stay which I think is still a cheek for the worst hotel experience ever. Needless to say I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, the only good point was its large free car park but as the hotel is in the middle of nowhere it is only accessible by car or taxi so they would have to provide parking if they wanted any guests!
Do not waste your money being suckered in by what appears to be a charming English countryside hotel but in reality is a filthy, poorly maintained and run down hell hole.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank english_girl01
This is useful, if disapointing feedback. As the general manager has made direct contect and reduced the bill I will not dwell on individaul comments, although they have been looked into further. I would say that the reception area refered to however, was refurbished in 2008, it's not modern, it's traditional but not shabby. Sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay though.