“Poor value” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Weybridge, United Kingdom
“Poor value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

From the images you see of this and the cost, you'd expect to be staying in a luxury hotel at the top of Guildford.

Reality could not be more different. I have stayed here many times for both work and pleasure, and every time it has been a let down. The rooms are very small and outdated, and some have been next to very noisy generators.

Parking is also limited. I turned up when the car park was full and was advised by the receptionist to go to the pay and display car park opposite. When you're already spending a lot on a room, you don't want to pay for parking too.

Pay a little more and go to The Raddison.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Herne Bay
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for one night for business.

I had booked a double room for one person, so that I had the space to spread out and work in the evening after dinner.

Although the room was clean and presentable, the room was tiny, just big enough for the double bed and a small table. No air conditioning, which didn't help as it was one of the hottest day's of the year.

I visited the bar to get a drink and although the receptionist was trying to get someones attention at the bar by calling the phone, no one came to take any drinks orders.

The receptionist staff where polite and helpful.

There is an additional charge of £7 to use the car park, and with very little parking at the front of the hotel, there was no option as there was no on the road parking.

The bar food was average, and over priced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband stays here every week for work, he likes the location, breakfast & bar. I have stayed once with him on an incredibly hot night - it was impossible to sleep even with the window (& curtains!) wide open - other residents complained of the lack of air conditioning & hot rooms & the noise throughout the night from the room above and beside showed other guests were struggling to sleep too. The bar is nice, location great & reasonably priced for this area of the country. Next week when hubby stays though he is taking a fan!!!

• Stayed July 2013
Thatcham, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Attending the Magic Summer Live event on 14 July, we booked this hotel as it had a perfect location... and all started well when we were able to check in early and leave our bags in the room as we headed off to the festival.
However on our return at 10.35pm we found that the bar had already been closed (it is advertised as opening until 11pm on a Sunday) and trying to talk to either the Bar Staff or the Duty Manager (Gabor) was like talking to a brick wall.
The Manager refused to re-open the bar and simply stated that he had closed it and that was that. He could nothing and was not willing to offer any recompense.
By this time there were probably 20 residents in the reception area who had returned from the festival, all hoping to grab a drink and chat through the day's events.
The Duty Manager was the most unhelpful Manager I have come across, and I almost feel embarrassed to call him a Manager as he did absolutely nothing to try and manage the situation. Indeed after a while he simple took himself off into a 'back-room' to hide and left the lady on reception to try and deal with a group of disgruntled residents. To be fair to her she did her best to try and contact the Hotels Manager but 'his phone was not answered'.
All in all the service from the Duty Manager was appalling and how he felt he could close
the bar early is beyond me - especially when the Hotel must have been aware that a large number of residents would be in the hotel shortly after the event finished at 10.30pm.
The above in itself would lead me to score the hotel poorly, and there was little about breakfast to encourage me to increase my satisfaction level. After sending my bread through the toaster 5 times i eventually gave up, and in retrospect may have achieved a better slice of toast had i held the bread over a lighter match!
So, great location for the event but would i go back? Not a chance based the evidence of the service provided (or not provided as the case was) by the so called Duty Manager.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jane M
guildfordhotel, General Manager at Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Many thanks for taking time to leave your review; whilst the contents obviously do not make pleasant reading I welcome all customer feedback.

May I begin by offering my sincere apologies to you and your party. It is clear that your experience at The Mandolay Hotel not only fell well below the standard you have every right to expect but also below the standards that we consistently deliver to thousands of guests each year.

I am sure you will understand that I cannot comment on the behaviour of a member of hotel staff without first having discussed the events personally? I will be conducting a thorough investigation into the situation and if you would like to contact me via customer.service@guildford.com with your email address I will keep you fully appraised of my findings.

With regard to the toaster, it is obvious that the controls had been re-set, this piece of equipment is very reliable and I have personally checked on its condition this morning. The controls are now set correctly again and it is making great toast.

Please accept my apologies for this situation; I have asked all breakfast staff to pay particular attention to the settings and act immediately if anybody is experiencing similar difficulty.

Once again, many thanks for your candid comments. I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully to welcoming you back to The Mandolay Hotel very soon.
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

My room was in a group of rooms separate from the hotel. The room was small and smelt damp and the en-suite was a narrow toilet/shower cubicle. Everything worked OK. Reception staff said it was OK to not bother with car reg on booking in, but I had a sticker on my windscreen the next morning. Wasn't told breakfast closed at 9.30, so missed out on food. On mentioning both issues I felt the staff couldn't care less, both staff members were not UK so there may have been a lack of understanding but if they had apologised for any inconvenience it would have made a big difference. Politeness pays but costs nothing. B&B deal was booked by my company £119 for the night. Guildford must have a lot of business trade if they are this laid back in dealing with customers. Poor value for money and there are better hotels nearer the centre with nicer rooms and staff (Radisson, The Angel, etc., which I have used before and will again). I won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hotel clean, tidy & recently renovated. Quick, efficient check-in on arrival. Trendy bar & restaurant. Rooms lovely. Overlooking garden at the rear of hotel. Less than 5 minutes walk to bars, restaurants & town centre. Definitely go back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Muvvers2000
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was my second stay in this hotel as we come here during Ascot week. I was very pleased to see I had been put in Room 81 again, which is in the attic, and is very nice. The room was spacious and decorated to a high standard and was impeccably clean. The beds are also very comfortable. The staff were very helpful and even let us stay a little bit later than the normal check out time. It is in a great location and only a short walk from the main high street. For the location, standard of service and overall ambiance the price we paid is very reasonable (when booked in advance). However, I do wish they served room service until midnight rather than 10pm as we just missed it one night and had to go out searching for somewhere to get food.
I highly recommend this hotel and will be returning again next year!

Room Tip: Pay that little bit more for a deluxe or executive for the extra space.