“Nice hotel but small "executive double" room”

Mandolay Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Leeds
“Nice hotel but small "executive double" room”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night - paid a little bit extra for an "executive double room" and was disappointed with the size. Very small - just enough room for a double bed with about 30cm max around the side, then a bit of an entrance with a small desk but only enough room for one person to be stood. Shower/bathroom was also small. Was only here for 1 night so didn't bother questioning the room.

I stayed in a hotel with a room bigger than this where I was pre-warned that the room was small. Here, there were no warnings so I was surprised by the size. That said the hotel location and bar, restaurant are ideal.

Room Tip: Check your room size "Double Executive" was tiny!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank YorkshireJames42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Ireland
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I attended this hotel for business where a conference was held there. I didn't pay for it nor do I know how much it cost so I can't commend on that. I stayed for 1 night but was in the hotel for 2 full days.

Never have I stayed in such an oddly laid out hotel. There are corridors and stairs like the Labyrinth movie. The rooms are scattered all over the hotel. It is NOT wheelchair accessible that I could see given the ridiculous amounts of stairs that go up and down and then narrow corridors.

Food was excellent for breakfast and for the evening meal the night before the conference and the food at the conference itself was extremely good and tasty.

Location is great given it's moments away from the high street of Guildford which made for great shopping when there was some downtime. Also some lovely walking spots in the area as well as good running routes.

The hotel was clean and comfortable offering cosy and quaint rooms which were simply styled but there are low ceilings for any of you tall people out there...unlike myself.

Wifi was all over the hotel except for the conference centre (?) which was odd. There was also zero phone signal down there so I hope if you're relying on internet access for your conference attendees, that you come up with a backup plan as it didn't matter what carrier anyone was on, there was simply no signal.

The bar is lovely and very comfortable to sit and have a drink and chat. There was no entertainment on when we were there and I don't even recall a radio on but there were some tv's dotted about the place.

Room Tip: Bad signal and wifi in the conference centre which is based underneath the hotel. Great in the rest...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank littlebird_Ireland
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I wanted a weekend break and settled on Guildford as we have heard about a nice restaurant - Cote. More on them another day.

Over all the experience and services at the hotel was lovely. Just needs a few final touches.

Parking, if there is an event at the hotel, you would not be able to park your car on site. I was naughty and parked in an area not allocated for parking (in front of the hotel garage – the garage is a closed building and by the look of the items around it, its storage space) so that I can at least offload the luggage. The reception phoned me in the room when a space became available and I went down to move my car.

We booked the top of the range room – Double Deluxe in the loft. Very spacious and comfortable. The bathroom has a lovely corner bath and a good shower overhead. Water pressure was very good and instant hot water, no waiting around for minutes on end for the water to heat up.

The main part of the room had two sets of single chairs and tables, why 2? And another work space with single chair. This space could have been better suited with one set and a relaxed comfy maybe even leather sofa (a 2 seater and not 2 single seaters) facing the TV. There is sufficiently of space for it.

The bed – most important part of a hotel. This was ok at first glance, however if you got off the bed you could hear the springs pop/ping/spring back into position. As a result, we did not have the best night’s rest as we had hoped for and we both felt stiff from in the morning.

The room being top of the range and on the 2nd floor, could do with a small mini-mini bar fridge with at least some fresh milk and bottled water in it.

We would probably go back (if night on short notice we needed a place for the night), however we would not pay for the top of the range room again.

If you can deal with all of the above, then go for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adriaan S
Barry
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Stayed here one night on business and had no real problems apart from parking, I did find a space after 15 minutes and not the best start to a stay. The hotel itself was clean and modern and the food was o k. The room I was in was not large but comfortable and I slept well.
Would I stay here again? yes.

Room Tip: No lift so if you have a mobility problem be aware
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Thebaldoneontheleft
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were guests at a wedding at Losley Park, transport was organised from the Radisson Blu 5 minutes up the road. The Mandolay was much cheaper, but felt much more homely and we had everything we needed - clean room, comfy bed, tasteful decor, great shower room. The service was really friendly and the breakfast was super.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank Skvibes
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Had a one night stop over and was advised only executive rooms available at a premium price. Room was under the eves but clean and well appointed. Shower room was minimalist but very clean and perfectly adequate.
The staff in the bar and restaurant were friendly and helpful but greatly let down by the food they were serving. My cold starter of prawns and main meal of lamb were both brought out together. I asked for the lamb to be taken back and held until I was ready. It was therefore doubly reheated, removing all taste of lamb but retaining that distinctive taste of reheated meat.
Unlimited fast free WiFi in all areas was a bonus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business