“regular visitors to Hatchlands Park.”
Review of Hatchlands Park

Hatchlands Park
Ranked #7 of 51 things to do in Guildford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed September 9, 2018

My wife and I are regular visitors to Hatchlands Park. The walks and settings are wonderful and a welcome cup of tea / coffee at the end is very welcome

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"family home"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed September 9, 2018

When the rain stopped around midday, we wondered where to spend the afternoon, and chose Hatchlands Park, because we know how lovely it is.

When we started our walk around the perimeter, the sun had just come out, and everything was sparkling and fresh. True, the bluebells we enjoyed on our last visit had long gone, being early September, but the woodlands and trees made up for this, and the whole park looked well-maintained and cared-for.

To my mind, Hatchlands is underrated and often ignored by walkers and National Trust visitors, being so close geographically to the NT showpiece of Polesdon Lacey. Long may that continue, if it keeps the number of visitors down to an acceptable level.

1  Thank Robin S
Reviewed September 6, 2018

We had no problem parking and the reception member of staff was very helpful. we were given a map & followed the pink trail clockwise which circumnavigated the Hatchlands Park estate.
The path was even and easy to walk on. It is slightly confusing after the woodland diversion as there are no pink signs at the end of the wood. There are plenty of places to allow a well behaved dog off the lead. We walked to the stables & purchased a tasty lunch of sandwiches & cream tea. We had a dog & we were allowed to sit inside the stable cafe in the courtyard. Would definitely recommend Hatchlands Park for a dog walk & lunch with friends.

Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

The parkland is extensive and varied, with open meadow, woodland walks, picnic areas with benches, and play areas for the kids. Signposting for the dedicated walks (which offer a choice from less than 1km to just over 4km) is excellent. There are some cattle and sheep grazing the park so dogs need to be kept well under control, but they were all very docile when I visited.

The only downside for me was that I thought £6.80 for entrance was a bit steep if you're only interested in the parkland, but then it is very well maintained.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 31, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited Hatchlands Park having stayed in Ripley not far away, and visited RHS Wisley on the Saturday. I was most disappointed that the house didn’t open till the afternoon and we didn’t have time to stay. The grounds were lovely and we took the long 4km walk around the perimeter. The highlight of the walk was definitely Lady Boscawen’s walk which is very pretty and filled with interesting signs and information. We stopped for lunch at the cafe and then browsed in the stable second hand book sale and the National Trust shop. We made purchases in both. Definitely worth a visit. I hope to go back and see the interior of the house.

Date of experience: August 2018