“A really terrible experience” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Lion Brewery
Ranked #24 of 25 Guildford B&B and Inns
England
“A really terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

A grubby few rooms attached tons down at heel pub.
Four rooms with basic furniture share a dated shower room. I have seen better prison cells on television. My twin room had two iron framed basic beds, a stained carpet and no curtains at onevofcthe windows. The room was at the top of a narrow creaky set of stairs with a very worn and threadbare carpet. In fortunately the shared "bathroom" ( without a bath, just a shower) was at the bottom and down a corridor. There were no towels or soap in the room or "bathroom". When asked for at the bar, a well worn towel was provided but no soap!
The room had poorly fitted sash windows, so was woken up by the traffic noise at 0530! Had it not been very late evening when I arrived, I would not have stayed. The worst overnight experience in 40 years! Truly terrible.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank StowawayEngland
lulupaul, Owner at The Lion Brewery, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
When people pay £25 per night and expect 5 star treatment then maybe they should book in at the Savoy. We don't advertise ourselves as 5 star we are basic no frills bed and breakfast. We have clean and comfortable rooms with a TV in each room clean and comfortable beds and towels (not worn ones!) and tea and coffee are available at the bar free of charge to guests. We don't provide toiletries because of the price we charge but I am sure if you had asked nicely we could have provided you with some soap!

The pub is a lively village pub with music five nights a week and is certainly not 'down at heel' you only have to ask the 60 to 70 people we have in for the music nights to find this out.

The carpet is not stained it is the pattern of the carpet and the window that didn't have a curtain was the small tiny window that is about 50cm by 50cm and not like the two other large windows in the room with curtains. But I will get a curtain fitted to this window.

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Friendly local pub with budget accomodation and parking, basicaly for workers, if you need to be in the Guilford area for work it can save you money, if you just need overnight accomodation with cooked breakfast.

Of course you can enjoy a meal and a jug or two without having to drink and drive, Michael is an interesting and great host

Probably best to bring your own towels as none was provided.

I have rated it according to price, when I checked elsewhere it was more than double/treble and as I was just delivering having just got off the ferry, so I needed a nights sleep it worked for me on my budget.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Kent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

From the outside it looks great. The bar was nice. I had booked a single room. My room was around the back of the bar next to the car park. When I opened the door I was so shocked the first thing to hit me was the smell. There was no window . That could not be opened. It was a small window at the top of the wall SOS you would need a ladder to get to it. There was no where to put anything apart from the floor. It was very dirty . There was one very old hand towl on the bed that was so old and you wouldnot want to use it on your face. I then went to the shared bathroom that was very cold and dirty. There was a bar of soap on the sink which was stuck and I think it had been there for years. There was also another door that led to the car park so I would not feel safe knowing that the door was there and you could see out the window to. The car park. I was very upset I asked the owner if there was another room and he said no. I did not feel I could stay that night. So I gave the keys back. The owner was not bothered and just said bye. I was not given my money back. I had travelled from Devon for this stay. I would never want anyone to stay there.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
lulupaul, Owner at The Lion Brewery, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
The room that is mentioned is our small single box room for one person hence the cheap price! There is a window in the room but it doesn't open as the room is built within a room and the window would open up into the corridor where other guests are able to walk, which is why there is an extractor fan instead to let air in and out.
Unfortunately due to the recent bad weather we had a leak and the room does have a small damp smell but this is being looked at and worked on.
The room contains a single bed, a televison with freeview, a chest of drawers and a wall hanger to hang clothes on so not really sure why you would have wanted to put your things on the floor when there was plenty of storage space.
The towels are all about 3 weeks old and have just been brought so they are not old and bad!
The bathrooms are shared bathrooms and both have heating in them. They are cleaned on a daily basis but because they are shared other people use them that don't often feel they have to leave it in a clean state. This is also why so people often leave their cleaning items in there as well but like I said they are cleaned on a daily basis and are NOT cold and dirty.
Not too sure what it is you mean by not feeling safe by the other door. There is the front door which is the access to the building as without this door you would not be able to get in like most people's front doors! There is also a door in the bathroom which leads out into the garden but there is another after this door so it actually leads into a cupboard but this door is always locked. You are not able to see out of this bedroom into the car park unless you were stood in the hallway or by the front door.
Unfortunately this lady did not ask to speak to the owner otherwise I would have tried to resolve this situation, they just handed their key back in and said they weren't staying with no reason.
If they had of asked to speak to me I would have moved her to a different room as one was available. No money was asked for and no reason was given for not wanting to stay so I could not offer a refund.

We get a lot of people staying with us and we are full almost every week. We offer basic comfortable clean accommodation at a very good rate with breakfast. It's just unfortunate that sometimes people do not read the room descriptions before they make a booking.

Travelers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Aldershot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

Michael cannot do enough for his guests. What a lovely man!! We went as a large group of friends and family for a 50th Birthday and it suited our needs. We arrived and were treated as long lost friends immediately. Michael learns your names and address' you personnally for the whole of your stay. If you need anything or have any problems, he wil make sure he helps. I found the shower too weak (i have a lot of hair to wash!) i told him this was a problem and he showed me to the cottage shower, which was much better. This is not a place for anybody seeking peace! It is above a pub that has live bands - we experienced a fantastic band on Saturday night (Asylum Affairs). But if you are a group of people partying, the noise is not going to bother you. Infact we didnt go to bed until the pub was empty! Michael is upearly in the morning to make your breakfast at anytime you wish to get up, no pressure at all. If we are to hire the function room again for a family do (and i am sure we will), then i would not hesitate to stay again. Just one request, Michael, please look at sorting out the weak shower. A big thank you to you for a lovely stay!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gaynor_robson
, Owner at The Lion Brewery, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Thank you for your kind review. We try our best to make our guests feel welcome.
And the shower is being looked at as we speak!

Nether Wallop, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

booked twin room for myself and sisterinlaw waited a long time in a public bar to book in, had to go behind bar to climb very steep and frankly dangerous stairs.No tea or coffee facilities, no bed side cabinet, rooms not that clean, no towels had to ask given very shabby towels the bathroom leaves a lot to be desired.Then the worst happens wake in the morning at 8.05am go down stairs to find the bar entrance padlocked no staff at all fire exit on a door proceed through to the kitchen , a door opposite with automatic lock, proceed outside to smoke and we hear a dog barking next the dog from hell appears large GSD running at us I shout to my sister in law to run, we retreat to the kitchen, my sister in law slips falls on her back hits her head extremely hard on the lower shelving, extremely shaken and feeling nausea,cant weight bear on right foot due to swelling, owner appears in between hoovering the bar he makes us tea and cooks b/fast while wiping his nose and eyes on a tea towel saying he has hay fever ..... there are no signs visible to say there is a dog running loose and if there was a fire you cant get through the bar due to padlocked door, so you are forced to go through kitchen door to be met by the dog. The owner saved us a taxi by taking us to where we had left the car, offered no other reduction the pub is in need of full refurbishment.On arriving home and attending the hospital the injury is torn tissue in ankle area a lump on the top of head pain killers and discomfort for some time all could have been avoided if there was literature to follow, I myself have since being home come out in itchy lumps on my shoulder and back ....... not a place to stay and wouldnt recommend this place at all very expensive and no hospitality soap, shower gel etc really needs to get in 2012 . overall very shabby !!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nicky M
lulupaul, Owner at The Lion Brewery, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Well what can I say these women had a completely different 'story' on this morning that she told to us!
When booking in yes she may had to wait a short period of time to check in as we are a public house not a hotel and other customers were waiting to be served before she arrived. Unfortunately there is no option of building a staircase onto the side of the pub for guests to use but no one else seems to have a problem of walking behind the bar to walk up the stairs. The stairs are steep but it is an old building but saying that my two year old son seems to manage to run up and down them with no problems. But I can see the stairs as dangerous when you are drunk but then most staircases would be dangerous in this situation!
Tea and coffee is provided and is available from the bar, there is a bedside table in this room so not too sure what she meant by this?
Towels are provided and guests are asked if they require them, which I provided to them and the towels were not 'shabby' as they are new!
The bathroom has a toilet, sink and shower-what more do you need in a bathroom!

We do padlock the bar area because this is our business and some people seem to think it is ok to 'help themselves' to our food and drink without paying for it hence why it is locked like most business owners lock their premises at night!
The fire exit door is exactly for that if there is a fire and as there was no fire it should have not been accessed. When there is a fire the alarm sounds which also alerts our room so we are there to evacuate guests and the dog is trained to go to his kennel but like I said there was no fire so they should never of gone out of this door to have a 'cigarette in a non smoking venue! Yes maybe we should have a sign up but then again this is not a public area.

In the morning when they came down for breakfast they explained to us what had happened but they also stated that the incident was completely her fault, as she shouldn't have gone through that area. They never made any complaints to us with regards to the accommodation or the incident otherwise we would have tried to rectify them.

The pub does not need a 'full refurbishment' I think that is a huge exaggeration it is an old village pub and the accommodation has recently been re-decorated.

Not too sure where she got her ‘itchy lumps’ from but it certainly wasn’t from our accommodation!

As to it being too expensive. I think £29 pppn with breakfast is quite a fair price for what we offer and you can have B&B and an evening meal for £34, and we are fully booked most weeks with a lot of people returning as they like the atmosphere our village pub has to offer with the Live music and other events happening. So we are fully into 2012 and almost fully booked!

It does state on the website that she booked via that we don’t offer soap etc but this is available on request but then at £29 I don’t know what she was expecting!

nordsjælland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Very helpfull and friendly staff.
rooms where large , we shared a large bathroom with 4 rooms , which did not pose a problem.
Our stay was in a very mild October , so the one brocken window payne in the bathroom didn't cause problems , wouldn't have been nice if it was colder. It would have been nice if there was an extra towel or paper towels in the bathroom for those quick visits to the WC, kept forgetting to take my towel in with me .
I'm used to a good mattress at home, so I found the bed very uncomfortable, The Sheet was layed directly in mattress, no topper of any kind. I found an extra, thin duvet in the cupboard so used that under the sheet , it was a slight help.
several nights there was a band playing until early hours ...directly under our rooms , would not have been good for anyone wanting an early night or with small children.
Traditional english breakfast was ok, as I'm vegetarian they did me scrambled eggs and baked beans on toast.
A good place for a short cheap stop over ,I would not reccomend for a holiday

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

Booked through net having filtered for disabled accommodation and phoned to ensure able to cater for my wheel-chair using father and his Coeliac (wheat/gluten intolerant) diet. Arrived in middle of band jamming night in the pub with one barmaid totally overwrought by crowded customers getting annoyed and me having to wait for 20/30 mins to be attended to with my father having to hobble to the near by play park on his own to relieve himself. I was then told we were booked in an upstairs room. This was re-arranged to the downstairs room by evicting the current resident for us to find there was a step up to the room, and a high threshold and two carpeted steps (difficult to see even with slight visual impairment) to the shared toilet and washroom. No facilities in the room other than a bed, light bulb, chest of draws and a TV near the ceiling - no bedside table or tumbler for taking medicines. Needless to say, night time excursions to the toilet were perilous due to the difficult to see steps which were impossible for a wheelchair to negotiate. Breakfast was a lovely mix of a traditional English fry-up, but contained, fried bread and sausages which my father could not eat - obviously the original discussion on the phone regarding diet and the needs of my father had been ignored. Music from the bar was good though, although the smoking area just outside the unlockable window wasn't an asset. Toilet paper in the toilet ran out too. Not a good stay and I would not recommend it to anyone with any additional needs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
lulupaul, Owner at The Lion Brewery, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
When this man booked this room there was no mention of a wheelchair and unfortunately it was not noted that he said he was disabled. But this was quickly resolved and the man was not 'evicted' from his room but moved to another room to accommodate this guest. The gentleman did mention about his fathers diet but when asked he he would like any particular food he said that he would ok with the fried breakfast but without the bread. Not really sure why the gentleman went onto the play park to 'relieve himself as there are 4 perfectly good toilets and one disabled toilet in the pub itself where he was stood.The small step into the bathroom has a long white painted part in front of it to see the step so unless you are totally blind then you should be able to see this. The room has more than just a light bulb in it. We are basic bed and breakfast that is clean and comfortable. Tea and coffee is available from the bar and at £29 a night with breakfast this is very reasonable. Sorry this gentleman did not enjoy his stay and that it was just unfortunate we had a not so good member of staff on that night who has now been dismissed. We have had various other disabled people stay and ones that have been in wheelchairs and that have quite enjoyed their stay in our traditional english pub.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guildford
Manor House Hotel & Spa
#20 of 25 in Guildford
Holroyd Arms
Holroyd Arms
#19 of 25 in Guildford

Been to The Lion Brewery? Share your experiences!