“good location. - nice looking hotel but reception staff unhelpful”

Guildford Harbour Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“good location. - nice looking hotel but reception staff unhelpful”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

we stayed here for my cousins 50th and asked for rooms with a nice view. we booked in ( took ages as some kind of staff traning was going on- new starter) and were given rooms on the same floor opposite each other on 2nd flr and both overlooked car parks. One side was mult story , the other flat car park. Horrible view and spoilt the start of our stay!!
We asked if my cousin at least could be moved, as it was her 50th, to a nicer room and reception staff made us feel like we were asking for the moon. The lady on duty was very dismissive of us and very arrogant! One of her male colleagues also joined the conversation in an unhelpful way. My cousin was very upset (tearful) and the staff member was oblivious to her discomfort. We questioned the booking as we had booked a 'superior' room - seems all the rooms are classed as 'superior'! We were vety polite in our questioning (my cousin is very quiet) and not at all aggressive, We walked away feeling unhappy and not listened too!! So be careful when booking what you think is a speciial weekend!
As for the Spa - don't bother! the pool is tiny - pics are very decieving, you can't get more than 6 people around it and we had to queue to use it at 4.:30 sat afternoon!
would not go back - Im used to far better service at 4/5* hotels.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank mary d
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Mary,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your cousins birthday celebration and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the issues highlighted with regard to the customer service levels received during your stay. I would ask that you contact me directly at the hotel so we can work towards restoring your faith in our brand, as your experience is not indicative to the usually high standards we deliver.

Many thanks,

Peter Wardley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Polish first
Bucks
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I always set out with very high expectations when I stay overnight in a luxury hotel and sometimes these expectations are not always met and I've checked out feeling rather let down.
However, on this occasion, I am very proud to say all my expectations were met (and more!) and I've come away as a very-happy-to-return customer.

Before I start my praise for this hotel I must just note that my friend had a problem with the standard and service she received with her spa treatment but as I write this review, the Spa Manager has promised to look into this and sort everything out for her (fingers crossed she keeps her promise)

So, what's all the fuss about...?

* LOCATION - a brief 5 minute walk and you are in the centre of Guildford and all it's wonderful shops, bars and restaurants. Safe and secure car parking underneath the hotel for £10 - 24 hours worked very well.
* DECOR - really lovely chic design yet comfortable at the same time.
* QUIET - despite being in the heart of Guildford our room overlooked the courtyard so it was lovely and quiet for sleeping.
* STAFF - everyone (yes, everyone) we came into contact with was lovely and helpful.
* SERVICE - all our little requests for extra help were met and nothing was too much trouble.
* ROOMS - OK, yes the twin room was small however everything in the room (bedding, towels, bathroom standard etc) was 5 star quality.
* SPA - be aware that the pool is not really a pool, more of large bath and there were only 2 loungers to sit on so we didn't really use that side of the Spa which was a little disappointing however, my facial treatment was amazing and there's always the sauna, steam and relaxation room to chill-out in. When we did have a make a complaint for my friend, Annie from the Spa was very helpful and understanding so top marks to her.
* BREAKFAST - a buffet style breakfast is not really my cup of tea but everything was plentiful and hot and you can always order your style of eggs to be freshly cooked for you that was good. The range was great too, catering for everyone's tastes. Again, the service was smooth, attentive and friendly.
* AFTERNOON TEA - WOW! This was included as part of our Spa Package and boy was it lovely. I couldn't stop looking at the food - it was a visual dream (almost too good to eat!!)
So much attention to detail and the service from the staff was fantastic. We felt very pampered.

A hotel is nothing without good service and staff who really do want to make your stay very special and the Radisson has definitely achieved this. Please keep up the good work as we really do want to come back and stay again soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lissybubs
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford hotel for your recent visit to the area.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and have provided so much feedback in regard to your stay for future guests to be aware of. I am pleased that your facial in our spa was relaxing and that you were able to unwind in our wet spa area. Our pool is designed for fitness and is fitted with two contra jets which give resistance to swimmers. I am sorry to hear that your friend did not thoroughly enjoy her spa experience and hope that this has now been rectified. Your review serves as a great motivator to the team who all share a passion for great customer service, and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in the area.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Had a great stay here not too long ago. I booked the "superior room" as a last minute trip which was very modern, had a great bed, mini bar, aircon, all the little things you'd expect from a decent 4* hotel... Bathroom was fantastic with separate bath / shower units. All very clean and up to date.

The lobby manager Luke checked us in who was extremely welcoming and helpful... Made sure we settled in ok and that we had everything we needed for the evening.

Only extremely minor comment for Radisson would be that they should move the welcome desk for breakfast nearer to where the lifts are as I assume all hotel guests will come down from that direction, rather than through the door by the side street. We got a bit lost wandering round the bar area trying to find someone to seat us.

Anyway, in short... A fantastic place to stay, definitely recommend to anyone. Will be back!

Dear Chris,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to Surrey and for taking the time to write your feedback on this site.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us and that you're already considering a return visit. As we are a new hotel, we do benefit from having the majority of amenities requested by guests to hand to ensure that our guests leave us happy. I am pleased to hear that Luke was able to assist you and ensure you had everything needed for a comfortable stay. Thank you for your comments about our breakfast welcome desk, as it is thanks to our guests feedback that we are able to better improve our product.

My team and I hope to see you again soon.

Windsor, UK
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Stayed here for one night ahead of an important talk at a conference in the town the following day - couldn't have chosen a better hotel for all kinds of reasons not least the location which is at the top of the high street - so the shops are all downhill!

* Friendly, attentive front of house
* Spacious room on the 2nd floor (270) - no outside noise, spotless bathroom, shower cubicle a bit tight but not a major issue
* Superb gym - including two concept 2 E rowers - and a lovely touch - iced water with fresh orange - I got two good work outs during my brief stay
* Spa - pool, sauna, relaxation room - super facility accessed from ground floor
* Usual Radisson breakfast - by which i mean good hot and cold options - cooked well
* Free FT and Times at breakfast and complimentary wifi - one of the key reasons I now turn to Radisson as a default choice.
* Plenty of space in ground floor lounges / bar to spread out and work/relax and one or two lovely surprises for those needing a place to think through presentations - won't mention them here, you'll have to stay first!

I travelled by public transport so the car parking wasn't an issue for me - it is a 15-20 minute walk from the railway station or a £6 taxi

All in all an excellent hotel - relaxing atmosphere and I got an excellent value for money price £125 inclusive of breakfast. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Gym users will enjoy the Radisson - not just the usual gym squeezed into a broom cupboard
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GBR007
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford hotel for your recent business trip to the area.

I am delighted to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable from start to finish and that the hotel offered all you needed to prepare for your important conference. I am very pleased to hear that you were able to relax in our wet spa area and use our on site gym, which is complimentary for in house guests to utilise. Your review serves as a great motivator to the team who all share a passion for great customer service, and would help other travellers make an informed choice on their accommodation requirements when in the area.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

London
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson for one night at the end of June.
It is a bright, modern hotel, right at the top of the high street so walking distance to everywhere.
The room that we had was on the smaller side, but very comfortable. All mod cons worked and the bathroom was very smart.

Luke at the front desk was super, very helpful and understanding when we required a late check out because of our spa appointments.

The only slight disappointment was the bar which was chaotic in it's organisation and inflexible. They told us that they couldn't make a vodka martinin with any other vodka apart from Smirnoff, even if we had wanted to pay more and also did not know how to make a couple of other fairly bog-standard drinks. A hotel bar should really have better trained staff!

Small quibble though to what was an otherwise very pleasant stay.

1 Thank tobym20
Dear Toby

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your recent visit to the area and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the hotels location was convenient for your trip. Our Deluxe bedrooms do offer guests a larger bed and bigger floor space should they wish for a bigger room. Thank you for your comments about our Lobby Manager Luke, as he prides himself on the high levels of customer service delivered by his team. I have spoken to our Restaurant Manager and further training has been given to the staff with regard to the mixing of numerous cocktails. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

My team and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The hotel has much to commend it - central location, parking (£10 extra), chic appearance of room and public areas, hence giving two stars despite our dissatisfaction.

Our disquiet was not that we had some problems with the room (too hot, extremely hard bed) nor the poor organisation (being made to check-in prior to parking our car whilst stuck on double yellow lines; and being greeted at breakfast with the news that we had to pay for breakfast as it was not included in our rate.....it was!).

The issue was the poor response from the staff and lobby manager. We were told on at least two occasions that we were completely wrong, that there was no problem, that every customer had said how comfortable the beds are.

It gave us small comfort that it 'wasn't just us', as we watched a guy, who turned out to be a Platinum card member for Radisson, get more and more incredulous as the hotel staff found more ways to say no to a top customer! The hotel blurb guarantees a great customer experience - telling your customers 'no', and 'you are wrong' is not an acceptable customer experience.

2 Thank M&G_OnTheRoadAgain
General-Manager-GFD, General Manager at Guildford Harbour Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on this site and for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford hotel for your recent visit to the area.

I am delighted to hear that you found the hotels central location, secure underground parking and the décor to your liking. I am sorry to hear that your room was too hot. Each room has individually controlled air conditioning units which can either cool or heat bedrooms to guests requirement. As I am sure you understand, mattress firmness is down to individuals preference and we are unable to cater to everyone's likes, however an additional duvet can be placed on top of the mattress which does make it softer. We ask all guests to check in prior to parking as our key card system allows entry to the car park and then the lifts take guests straight to their bedrooms floor. We have an agreement with the local council for guests to park on the double yellow lines outside the hotels lobby, for checking in purposes solely and will follow up with our reservations department as to why this was not explained at the time of booking. I will be speaking to our Lobby Manager about the team being unaware that breakfast was included in your rate and the customer service levels received. My sincere apologies for the inconvenience this caused you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The senior staff were very helpful and went out of their way to make it a special stay for us!
The lobby was lovely and picturesque, £10 secure parking convenient and location also very good.
Thank you Luke and crew!

2 Thank Sean d
Dear Sean,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian, Guildford Hotel for your wedding night and for taking the time to write your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted to hear that all the staff were helpful and were able to assist you on your special day. I am also pleased to hear that you found our secure underground parking and the hotels location convenient. Thank you for your comments about our Lobby Manager Luke and his team.

I hope to welcome you back again on a future visit to Surrey.