“Genuinely the worst place I've ever stayed” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holroyd Arms

Holroyd Arms
Ranked #19 of 25 Guildford B&B and Inns
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“Genuinely the worst place I've ever stayed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

I wasn't expecting much, was checking in late and leaving early so just needed a comfy bed for the night. However I wasn't prepared for it to be quite this bad..

When we stepped into this rough pub to 'check-in' at the main bar, one of the drunk locals who was looking for a fight asked if he could kiss my wife. The barmaid dealt with this well by threatening to chuck him out, and she apologized to us.

When we entered our room we were hit by a strong smell of fresh paint - whilst the paintwork looked good on the walls the room hadn't been properly ventilated, it had only been painted that weekend. Unfortunately the painters hadn't put the room straight, and the heater was unplugged, and the blind was missing it's chord. Neither of these things would have been a major problem, except that when I tried to put the blind down using my hands without the chord it came crashing down. When I plugged in the heater it didn't work, neither did the shaving light in the bathroom. I didn't want to test the bedside lamp due to the exposed wires (see photo).

I had coffee making facilities in the room but no milk, and there was no ironing board. I asked for these items to be brought over, and they arrived very quickly, but the ironing board and iron were in terrible shape and had no ironing board cover (see photos). Unfortunately the muck on the iron spread onto the shirt I was ironing as soon as the iron became hot.

The bed was comfortable, and we slept well. However in the morning we realized the shower sprayed in all directions except for downwards, the shower was scummy and unclean and the shower gel and shampoo bottles were simply scattered in the basin with paint marks all over them. There was also a big dent in the bathroom door.

In the morning I went through to the restaurant, but found out no food served until 8am (much too late), and it wasn't possible to get a VAT receipt upon checkout. All in all a dreadful experience, reason for putting so much objective feedback is to help you make your own decision about whether you can really put up with such a hopeless B&B that's so sorely missing some TLC.

Room Tip: Don't believe there are any good rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank HotelGuru_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I know they say you get what you pay for, but I'm not sure this place would warrant a free stay! Admittedly I booked last minute and knew it wasn't going to be the Ritz, but this is the first hotel I have stayed in where I didn't want to use the shower as it was so filthy! The whole bathroom was disgusting, the toilet and sink didn't look like they'd ever been cleaned! The bed sheets didn't look like they had been changed, rather just made again after the last guests had left.
I had a beer in the bar in the evening and the staff were friendly enough, but they really do need to do something about the rooms if they want people to return!

Room Tip: A different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank devonmark79

Travelers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Having read what other travellers have written I feel I should let people know what my frequent stays at the holroyd have been like,firstly I found lisa the landlady very accommodating and friendly,I've found the rooms clean and tidy also I've noticed that refurb work is going on every time I've stayed,it's not the ritz but for £50 a night in a town in Guildford it is what it is,if you want peace and tranquility there are plenty of other hotels for about £200 a night in the town,but if all your looking for is a clean tidy room with some good food and maybe a couple of beers in the evening then the holroyd arms is the place for you,I will be booking again soon and believe me despite some of the reviews on here from the hotel inspector generation if you don't book in advance you will be out of luck as the place is always busy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We booked this hotel having read the other reviews but only needed a bed for the night, coming in late and not requiring breakfast. Our double room was dire and a health and safety risk. As we entered the building the fire door was held open by a fire extinguisher and on entering the room the catch from the window was lying on the ledge so we would have not been able to open the window in an emergency. So, the bathroom tiles in the shower were covered in mould, the bathroom shelves were rusty and someone was so desperate to escape they'd kicked a hole in the door.

The bed was made up and the room was clean. I had hoped to charge my mobile but decided not to as the socket was loose from the wall.

The rooms are separate from the pub but if I was on my own I would have agreed with Lorna. It is very intimidating for women on their own. Lots of men, lots of swearing, lots of smoking, heaven help the people who live opposite.

We were fortunate that we had the option not to stay. I was given the contact details of the owner Lisa who was not in the building on Saturday night. I spoke to her the next morning when she was quite defensive and said that it was a budget price room so we should not expect luxury. She blamed the cleaner for the state of the room and said that she had not seen it. I pointed out that the room was clean but as the owner she should realise the state of the room. She said that the fire door would have been held open for a couple of minutes despite the fact that we saw it like that for over an hour. I was told that she had had the Holroyd Arms for a year and were on a tight budget but other rooms had been refurbished. I found the conversation quite difficult as Lisa talked over me, was very defensive and did not appear to think my complaint was justified.

Lisa did ask me to send my details to her for a refund but didn't provide me with an email address. I tried both the email addresses on the website and they both bounced back. I telephoned the Holroyd Arms and spoke to Lisa again. She gave me her personal email address and accused me of shouting at her. Her personal email also bounced back.

If we had been given an apology from Lisa about the state of the room, a refund and any level of customer of customer service from Lisa I might give the Holroyd Arms a rating.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Libby W
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Stayed here for a conference- thank goodness it was only for 1 night! Luckily I was with a friend as I would not have felt comfortable on my own.This is a local hang out for Construction men, who were fine but if alone i would have felt quite intimidated.They were quite noisy coming in and out banging doors etc. The pub itself was dirty and smelt of chip fat!The room was very basic with no handle on the window as it had broken.The plug socket was hang off the wall and the tv remote was broken.The positives were that the room was clean and the bed linen and towels had obviously just been washed and smelt fresh. The guy working behind the bar and the chef were both very pleasant and helpful. But next time I will pay extra a stay at the Travelodge!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed in this "hotel" for two nights. My dad, my brother and me. We arrived on the first night and it wasn't too bad. No one else was in and we slept ok. But rooms were shabby and dirty. We got up at 7 and went to a business meeting. The second night we arrived late at about 11 as our meeting lasted longer than expected, but we got to our rooms and the noise from the pub was terrible. Then the pub "kicked out" at 12. But a group of people came into the hotel in the next room and had a party. There are thin rubbish walls and a door in between the rooms with no lock or shutter. It is closed because there is a bed against the other side. So it sounded like they were in the same room. They had still not shut up by 2am even after we complained to the landlord twice. Also the pipes are extremely noisy and impossible to sleep next to! And we had to be up at 7 again for a 13 hour meeting!!
We will never be returning as £75 per night is absolutely Apauling!!
Would recommend you don't touch this "hotel" with anybody's barge pole!
Terrible!

• Stayed May 2013
6 Thank Heatherheronia
Southern England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

Grime, dust bunnies the size of chestnuts, tired decoration and the worse mattress and pillows ever. room not serviced regularly, Advertised food everyday - sometimes...
Wfi in public areas only. TV remote did not work and staff could not provide one that did.
Friendly staff, cheap beer.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business