“Friendly pub/hotel”
Review of Holroyd Arms

Holroyd Arms
Ranked #16 of 22 Guildford B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Booked by phone. Spoke to landlady Lisa, who was very helpful re; booking.and was certainly friendly and welcoming on my arrival. Pub itself is ok,definately not "spit and sawdust".and drink prices very reasonable. Rooms are in a seperate block behind the pub, and are basic, but clean and comfortable. Would certainly stay here again. 100 times better then the nearby Travelodge!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RussB61

Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and i ,and another couple stayed here on the 3rd of november 2012,
On arrival,the pub looks good from the outside,dont be deceived,once inside,its gloomy,a typical locals pub,spit and sawdust.
We were showed to our rooms,which are in an annexe at the back of the pub grounds.We stayed in rooms 4 and 5,there were only 2 towels in our room(no5) and our friends in room 4,had none.No toileteries,and a thick layer of dust everywhere.
The room door had no handle to close it when leaving.
In the morning,we wanted to make coffee,found no sugar in our tin,and our friends had no milk.
My advice,avoid this place ,the charge is £50 per night,if the charge were £20,you would still be paying too much.

Room Tip: Choose another b and b.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank paul g
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Spacious room in an annexe behind a busy, noisy but friendly pub with simple food. Room was a bit tatty with a thick layer of dust on top of the wardrobe. Bed was comfortable. TV worked but WiFi did not. Decent shower room with decent towels but no toiletries. Electric heating worked well.

Overall, poor value - I am unlikely to return

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Cliffone
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Needing a room at short notice in the Guildford area, I took a chance on the Holroyd Arms, mainly because my phone call was answered in such a friendly and helpful manner. I was made to feel that I would be welcome, and this turned out to be absolutely true. I simply don't recognise the Fawlty Towers described by the two-star visitor as the same place!

Yes, the Holroyd Arms is a pub (the clue is in the name) and yes, the accommodation is in a small block away from the road. The benefit of that was a really good night's sleep on a comfortable bed in a nice, clean room. The pub is indeed lively and noisy, but the atmosphere was in no way "too much"; the owner asked if I would like to have my meal served in the room - but I felt sufficiently at ease in the bar to eat quite happily there and even read my book.

Breakfast was chosen from a wide selection of traditional British options, cooked promptly and perfectly, and served with a smile. In fact, it was smiles all the way, and the staff gave a very positive impression of being a team who would go the extra mile to make guests comfortable. Both food and lodging were extremely good value for the area, and I will not hesitate to stay there again when business takes me that way.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Arriving at 6.30pm on a Thursday night, we found that dinner was not available in the pub, a local drinking hole. The bedroom quarter was acceptable if dreary, but our bathroom was visibly dirty. The stroppy barman's response was to tell us us to go somewhere else with no refund of our deposit already paid.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Couldn't find a room at a decent price in Woking, I came across this one in Guildford.

Wouldn't stay here again.

The place is a neighbourhood pub, the lanlady is friendly and the food is edible but no more. The rooms are in a lodge type affair behind the pub. very gloomy, tiny TV, couldn't get the shower to run at more than a lukewarm dribble.

The place is too far out to walk to, so by the time I'd paid for taxi's and trains to Woking, it cost me about £75 a night anyway

Never again

Room Tip: Spend a bit more on a premier Inn
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 1, 2011

The accommodation is basic, but very good value for money. A twin room for two nights at a total of 116 pounds is very reasonable indeed and I couldn't find anything like that price anywhere else in Guildford when I was looking at short notice. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable and clean. The staff are friendly and helpful and always available. A heater which wasn't working properly was replaced immediately. The breakfast is very good, as is the food available during the day. We didn't experience any of the negatives others have written in their reviews. It was very quiet in the accommodation other than the normal noise of people coming in at night to their rooms or leaving in the morning for work. It's very convenient for Guildford town centre. We also liked the pub for it's relaxed, friendly and homely atmosphere. I would have no hesitation in staying there again or recommending it to anyone else that I know.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business