“Quite a find”

Ranked #19 of 25 Guildford B&B and Inns
Northwood, United Kingdom
“Quite a find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Needing a room at short notice in the Guildford area, I took a chance on the Holroyd Arms, mainly because my phone call was answered in such a friendly and helpful manner. I was made to feel that I would be welcome, and this turned out to be absolutely true. I simply don't recognise the Fawlty Towers described by the two-star visitor as the same place!

Yes, the Holroyd Arms is a pub (the clue is in the name) and yes, the accommodation is in a small block away from the road. The benefit of that was a really good night's sleep on a comfortable bed in a nice, clean room. The pub is indeed lively and noisy, but the atmosphere was in no way "too much"; the owner asked if I would like to have my meal served in the room - but I felt sufficiently at ease in the bar to eat quite happily there and even read my book.

Breakfast was chosen from a wide selection of traditional British options, cooked promptly and perfectly, and served with a smile. In fact, it was smiles all the way, and the staff gave a very positive impression of being a team who would go the extra mile to make guests comfortable. Both food and lodging were extremely good value for the area, and I will not hesitate to stay there again when business takes me that way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2012

Arriving at 6.30pm on a Thursday night, we found that dinner was not available in the pub, a local drinking hole. The bedroom quarter was acceptable if dreary, but our bathroom was visibly dirty. The stroppy barman's response was to tell us us to go somewhere else with no refund of our deposit already paid.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Leeds, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

Couldn't find a room at a decent price in Woking, I came across this one in Guildford.

Wouldn't stay here again.

The place is a neighbourhood pub, the lanlady is friendly and the food is edible but no more. The rooms are in a lodge type affair behind the pub. very gloomy, tiny TV, couldn't get the shower to run at more than a lukewarm dribble.

The place is too far out to walk to, so by the time I'd paid for taxi's and trains to Woking, it cost me about £75 a night anyway

Never again

Room Tip: Spend a bit more on a premier Inn
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

The accommodation is basic, but very good value for money. A twin room for two nights at a total of 116 pounds is very reasonable indeed and I couldn't find anything like that price anywhere else in Guildford when I was looking at short notice. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable and clean. The staff are friendly and helpful and always available. A heater which wasn't working properly was replaced immediately. The breakfast is very good, as is the food available during the day. We didn't experience any of the negatives others have written in their reviews. It was very quiet in the accommodation other than the normal noise of people coming in at night to their rooms or leaving in the morning for work. It's very convenient for Guildford town centre. We also liked the pub for it's relaxed, friendly and homely atmosphere. I would have no hesitation in staying there again or recommending it to anyone else that I know.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business