“Excellent service but mediocre food...”
Review of Cau

Cau
Reserve with OpenTable
Cau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 293 Restaurants in Guildford
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was our first visit to Cau in Guildford and however great the service was, it didn't manage to take away the massive disappointment of the food.

Th starters were mediocre, salt and pepper squid, they were hardly visible to the naked eye, slight dramatisation, but they were small! The flat breads and dip lacked flavour. My main course I was told was the nearest to a fillet steak, the medallions were tough and still hard much fat attached to it, the chunky chips were not bad. I ordered blue cheese to go with it, which I can only describe as mayo with blue cheese flavouring, it tasted synthetic.

As a huge dessert fan, I decided to order the pancakes, I was told they were home made, when they arrived they resembled those shop bought ones where they are already rolled up and you pop them in the microwave, basically 2 pancakes, spread with a light serving of caramel sauce, rolled then put under the grill, serving them with small scoop of ice-cream, it was

From my personal experience, this place is great for a lunchtime but not for a special occasion, where the dining experience leaves much to be desired.

1  Thank Valentina297

Reviewed January 24, 2013

The food was excellent, almost up there with the London heavyweights like Gaucho, Goodmans and Hawksmoor. The only thing that let it down was the set up. There were far too many tables crammed in. We were so close to the table next to us that they had to move so my wife could go to the bathroom! Plus I didn't really appreciate the fluorescent style decor but that's purely down to personal preference. Definitely worth a visit though. Just make sure you get a nice table without randoms sat less than a metre away.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

A very striking restaurant on the outside and seemed very busy (Wednesday 7:30pm), wasn't sure if I'd be able to get a table having not booked before hand. I would probably advise that if you have any doubts.

The very modern decor was pleasing to the eye and the general atmosphere was very nice indeed.

I ordered the tempura battered pork belly. It came with a sweet and spicy apple sauce. It was very light despite being pork belly and the sweet spicy sauce was a lovely accompaniment.

I then ordered the Comito which was the biggest steak I have had in a long time. 16oz of meat (medium-rare) Cooked perfectly and it came with a blue cheese sauce which completed the dish.

I would've attempted a desert but was stuffed after the steak. I wish I had gotten a smaller steak now but hey-how.

Highly recommended giving this place a visit - great steak, great atmosphere and great restaurant.

Absolutely no complaints.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked on a Saturday night in January, the restaurant was busy despite the bad weather. Initially we were seated near the door, there was a draft and after speaking to the waitress we were promptly re-seated. I had the squid to start followed by a rib-eye steak medium rare which was cooked perfectly. My partner had a salad, there was a problem with her main but this was quickly replaced with a rib-eye steak. The wine list is good and reasonably priced.

We will be going again.

Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Visited Guildford for my birthday weekend away, neither of us had been before and we booked Cau for dinner on Saturday night.

We absolutely loved the atmosphere and the staff were very helpful, polite and friendly.

The starters were one of the best we've ever had-would definitely recommend the pork belly tempura as something different. Steaks for main meal were cooked perfectly and tasted fantastic!

Would 100% recommend and definitely go back if in the area again.