“Comfortable but slightly tired”

Angel Posting House and Livery
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Comfortable but slightly tired”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have to say this is a hotel of parts. Firstly, the location cannot be bettered - it is slap bang in the middle of Guildford High Street within easy walking distance of everything in the town centre. I have found the staff to be very friendly and helpful - to the point of offering to carry my case ("just ring down when leaving and we'll pop up to carry it for you"). The rooms are huge and are comfortable, though the zip which joins the two beds together is obtrusive, as there is no mattress topper. The decor is nice, but tired - the rooms could do with a little bit of work to bring them up to really A grade. The attached franchised restaurant is pleasant and fairly reasonable, with good, decent food. Although since I leave for the office around 7 and the restaurant doesn't open till 7.30 for hotel residents, I can't really comment on the breakfasts. The real let down is housekeeping, which is erratic. They provided me with hypoallergenic pillows as requested, but when I asked for a sheet on the bed, they provided it neatly folded on top of the duvet. Likewise in the ordinary double bed only one towel is provided, although two were provided in the Junior Suite. My main bugbear, however, is that housekeeping do not seem to like clearing glasses. They took away dirty cups, but never a glass unless I place it in a dirty cup. It is the little things like this which let this place down. It could be a truly amazing, historical gem of a place. Would I stay here again? Absolutely! Its location and comfort guarantees that. I would however take earplugs, as the noise from the main street can be obtrusive.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room in the back and higher up.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel on Friday night. When we got to the hotel we were met with a very frosty welcome from the receptionist. She was very curt right from the start. No "please" when asking us to pay and no "thank you" when we paid. Also no smile. I was so annoyed with her attitude I felt the need to say something to her. She was extremely rude back and responded with a bad attitude saying things e.g "suit yourself" and never once apologised. I have never had this experience at a hotel before and would not expect this from a 2 star let alone a 4 star. The receptionist is 1st point of call and creates an initial impression. Well even if the rooms are good customer service goes a long way and this not create a good impression for The Angel.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Rachael H
TheAngelManagement, Director at Angel Posting House and Livery, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Firstly, thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback via TripAdvisor following your stay at the Angel hotel.

I was genuinely concerned to read about the welcome you experienced during your arrival to the hotel and given the details you shared, on this occasion, unfortunately your experience was below the usual standards, service and quality of guest feedback we strive to maintain.

Please accept my sincere apologies and rest assured that we have shared your feedback with the team. Our aim is to provide excellent customer service and are truly disappointed that during your stay we did not live up to this promise.

We hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting our hotel again and we would feel privileged to have another chance to demonstrate the high level of hospitality we usually provide.

Kind regards,

Anna Shakespeare
Director

Travelers are raving about these Guildford hotels

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Lovely individual rooms, in a great location close to bus & railway stations & ideal for exploring the town.
Food at Bills restaurant is excellent.
Good value for money.
Ask for a quiet room away from the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2014

We stayed at the Angel Hotel for one night earlier this month. The location right in the heart of Guildford is excellent. We only dealt with one member of staff on the front desk who was very friendly, polite and helpful throughout our visit. We stayed in a Junior Suite. I think the room had certainly seen better days and felt tired and dated. The bed was huge. The TV couldn't be angled so it was awkward to watch tv from bed. There were no pens in the room and we had to ask for an iron and ironing board. I would have expected these were in the room for the price we paid. The hotel doesn't have its own restaurant but appears to have sublet to a couple of other operators. One did breakfast but we were told that it would be 30 minutes or more to be seated in the morning. We went elsewhere. To be fair it was suggested that we book on advance but at 10am on a Sunday morning it didn't look necessary particularly when there were plenty of free tables. Not bad overall but could do with some investment.

• Stayed March 2014
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I've been staying here once a month, a week at a time, for the past few months. Hotel is old but charming. Hotel front desk staff are friendly and accommodating. Great location. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Convenient to shopping, restaurants, pubs and train station.

Stayed February 2014
Sussex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Great location in the heart of the high street. Downside there is no parking. The room I had was huge and had a massive bed , table and chairs and a huge sofa. The bathroom was huge with a full suite incl a walk in shower. The disappointment was that is was grubby. There were hairs in the bathroom and dust. Not great!!! I had my booking confirmation with confirmed price but when I checked in they tried to charge me more!! Luckily I had my confirmation on me and paid the quoted confirmed price. I stayed here because it was convenient for work ... I would stay elsewhere if I needed to stay in this town again.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Stayed here on 14th September for our first wedding anniversary we booked a standard room and I emailed the hotel to see if they could send me any pictures of the room I explained it was our wedding anniversary. They email back with very quick response and also informed me of where to park as there was no car park on site. We used the Tunsgate care park 5min from the hotel which was fine. On our arrival we were met by a very nice man on reception who carried our bags to the room (no lift) a lovey surprise we had been upgraded to a suit which was fantastic. The staff at this hotel were extremely nice,friendly and helpful nothing was to much trouble. the hotel was beautiful great character and charm perfectly situated right in the middle of the main high street. When I return to Guildford again I will defiantly be booking this hotel loved it there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple