“Not worth the money”

Holiday Inn Guildford
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Check in staff are sarcastic and condescending. Restaurant staff dont speak to you. Room was dark and what seemed to be in the basement. It was awfully unclean with mould in the bathroom, balls of dust behind the bedside tables and white stains on the bedding throw. Was booked to stay here for business for 2 nights. Only stayed the 1. There are much better hotels in the area and I wouldnt stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
I was most concerned to read your recent review and would like to express my sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay and I would be grateful if you would get in touch so I can make amends, either jane.standing@ihg.com or 07808 098809. I really would like the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Guildford.
Jane Standing, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

good hotel for business - comfortable- but I agree - the wi- fi is extortionate - this time, it was paid for by the Company, but previously we have had to pay our own, and I never would !! The waiters in the restaurant are great - but for some reason- the food can be really slow- never really sure why, as the restaurant was never really that busy?/

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I have since shared your comments with my team and appreciate you taking the time to convey your views. I value all guest feedback as it allows us to improve the facilities and services that we offer. I do hope we will have the pleasure of looking after you again in the future.
staffs, u.k.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I have stayed here many times and I must say the staff are excellent. They are very helpful and go out of their way to provide a good service. This makes it all the more disappointing that they are having to represent a corporate identity which is charging premium prices for a pretty bog standard product. So in the interests of balance here are my plus and minus points. You will notice these crop up time and time again so how about doing something about them IHG?
PLUS
1.As mentioned, staff
2.Leisure facilites including pool and gym
3.Breakfast, good choice and fresh cooked.
MINUS
1.Price of food and drinks. Totally scandalous. Veggie burger and about 12 chips, pint of lager? That will be £17.50. Weatherspoons provide more appealing food for about a fiver.
2.Air con. What's the point if its centrally controlled? Customers have different needs so why set it centrally?
3. Premium rate phone numbers even for the front desk. Why should we or others pay them for the priviledge of phoning the hotel. Give us an 0800 for reservations and an area code for calling the hotel.
So there. This is a hotel that at present does not deserve the excellent staff it has

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review further to your recent stay at the hotel. I certainly appreciate your balanced and constructive feedback as it helps us to improve the facilities and services that we offer. Your review has been shared with my team and thank you for your kind comments about the staff. I have shared your "minus" points with our Head Office for their review and appreciate your feedback. With regards to the Air Conditioning in the bedrooms this is centrally controlled from the point of view of whether it is set to Heating or Cooling but then the associated temperature can be controlled from each bedroom for your own personal level of comfort. I do hope we will welcome you back to the hotel very soon.
Canvey Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Obviously business guests get packages and perhaps don't even know how much their employers are paying for their Wifi but £16 per day for something that other reputable hotels provide as a free service was one over the top for us! Then we discovered that we had even paid premium rates to make the reservation? I must say that in the last millennium hospitality providers were providing free calls for reservations and doing everything they could to stand out from their competitors........where has that gone? The staff were friendly enough delivering the corporate messages but it was difficult not to shoot the messenger......no, we will not stay at a Holiday Inn again until they change their policies. Overall the rooms, breakfast etc was average.

Room Tip: There is no lift so if you have lots of luggage you would be best on the ground floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your recent review further to your stay at the hotel. I certainly appreciate all guest feedback so we can improve the facilities and services that we offer. Whilst many hotels do not now charge for internet, the majority of the branded hotel companies still make a charge largely linked to the investment made to install a fast and highly secure service. However free internet is coming to IHG hotels, starting in July we are offering free Wifi to all Platinum and Gold Elite Priority Club members. I do hope you will change your decision not to stay at IHG hotels and do please contact me at jane.standing@ihg.com if you would like to give us another try.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

First visit to Guildford so I was pleasantly surprised with the location of the hotel. As a group we had negotiated a discount so it was good value. On arrival our room was extremely hot and the air conditioning being centrally controlled, could not be adjusted cooler by us, after seeking help at reception once, nothing happened, however, after speaking to the acting manager a fan was eventually provided. The shower was fantastic, like a power wash. Breakfast fair/satisfactory and staff although slow were friendly, maybe not enough of them (it was busy).
With discount excellent value, however, if we had paid full rate we would not have been impressed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review further to your recent weekend visit. I was pleased to read you and your friends enjoyed your stay at the hotel and appreciated the discounted rate. I am sorry you had a problem with the temperature of your room but glad to hear the Duty Manager was able to assist. I do hope you would consider using the hotel again for a future get together.
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Had a pleasant 2 night stay here. staff were very friendly and efficient. Room was clean, comfortable and reasonably spacious. Bed a bit hard but ok. Only reason I dropped a point was the lack of free wifi.

Room Tip: Had a ground floor room looking out onto carpark but not noisy at all, cannot speak for any other ro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
I was pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for writing a review. With effect from 1st July Internet access will be free for our Platinum and Gold Priority Club members throughout Holiday Inn worldwide. We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have visited Guildford off and on for some time now for business and I am always grateful when the company books me into the Holiday Inn, just finished another stay and I was made very welcome by the staff and of course Kishore the restaurant and duty manager not forgetting Kishorn at the bar, although I have been there many times I have also note that the staff treat every one in the same way, its not just because I have been there before.
There is always a nice welcome and the staff can't do enough to help.
one thing I was not happy about was the price of the food and the 10% automatic charge, all round it is a very nice hotel well sited very clean and the staff are great.

Room Tip: if you can go for the double rooms above the pool area, my favorite
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
I was delighted to learn that you recently enjoyed another stay at the hotel. I was so pleased to hear that Kishore and Kishan looked after you during your stay, I have since passed your kind comments on to them. With regards to the additional service charge this is a discretionary charge and can be removed, I apologise if this was not made clear. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.