“shame about power cut”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Guildford
London, United Kingdom
“shame about power cut”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

stayed for a couple of nights in August. Food and service o.k but we were put in a room so far away from reception it was untrue and also there were no lifts (not to where our room was anyway) there was a huge power cut in middle of night. We were only aware of it due to son having woken up as a big spider had run out from beside his bed! Just as we were going back off to sleep the bathroom light which we leave on went out and there was a big bang. It was pretty scary to be honest and the phone didn't work to call reception so we had this awful walk up to reception with only fire exit lights on. The reception was also pitch black and they explained the bang we had heard was all the fire doors shutting. We sat for an hour or so in reception (they did offer to get us water) My son was too scared to go back to the room - they did when light came on let us stay in another room closer and in morning we walked back to our other room to get out belongings. the room they put us in at night really smelt of dampbut was too tired to care. I did say at check out that I had hardly had any sleep but they didn't offer any reduction which I think they should. Other people were woken up and came to the reception as they were alarmed as well and when we were waiting at the reception a drunk couple arrived in a taxi but the staff said they couldn't come in due to the power cut. The man started swearing and it was pretty awful. I know these things were not exactly the Hotels fault but I don't think they handled it very well and this would put us off staying again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Many thanks for your review in relation to your stay in August. I am so sorry that the power cut was a frightening experience for your son. As I know you appreciate the power failure was beyond our control and affected the local area in the middle of the night. The majority of guests were lucky enough to sleep though and I am sorry that was not the case for you and your family. I would appreciate it if you could contact me on jane.standing@ihg.com to allow me to restore your faith in the Holiday Inn Guildford.
Kind Regards
Jane Standing, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Guildford
Reviewed September 29, 2012

After a terrible days journey my other half and I decided to stay at a hotel for the night. After going to several hotels and them being fully booked we decided to ring ahead for this hotel. We were told there were a few rooms free. After making our way to the hotel we were told there were no rooms (and not in a particualry friendly manner) I know it was late, but surely you would want the business?? The room was nice, cant fault that, and very clean, the breakfast and staff serving it where also very friendly. I just couldnt comprehend why we were treated in such a way on arrival.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I was so sorry to hear about your experience when trying to reserve accommodation and then arriving at the hotel. Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of customer care shown by the staff on duty. I would be grateful if you could contact me on jane.standing@ihg.com with the date and time of your arrival so I can follow up with the staff concerned. Please be assured this is not typical of our usual high standards of service and guest care, you will see from other reviews the reception staff are often mentioned for their friendliness.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Anyone travelling to Thorpe Park or the surronding area must use this hotel! The grounds are beautiful, hotel is lovely, staff are friendly and polite and its great value or money!! This i would say is one of the best holiday Inn hotels i have stayed in!

• Stayed September 2012
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
I was delighted to read your review and thank you for sharing your experience. The hotel is very well positioned for all the local Theme Parks and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.
Kind Regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have stayed here many times and its a good Hotel with good facilties close to Guildford and all I Need. However I just cant get to grips with the pricing in this Hotel. I stay in many Holiday Inns Worldwide and Holiday Inn Guildford is just the most overpriced arrogant Holiday I have ever stayed in WORLWIDE!!. Dont get me wrong , the facilties are good, food good , staff excellent. But Why oh Why in Guildford they charge +40% for the same Facilties as anywher else in the World I dont Know. I have paid less in Manhatten !! with More Facilities, not a surprise. Over Four Quid for a Beer and just as much for a bottle. Come On when the supply is good dont over egg it, much more is gained by being fair and Profit is good Greed is Bad.

Room Tip: No Views No reason to Look outside. Get the biggest room you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review further to your last stay with us. As a regular user of the hotel I was pleased to read your general comments about the hotel but sorry that you feel we are overpriced. We are comparable with other 4 star hotels in the local area and endeavour to ensure we remain competitive in the market place. I would welcome the opportunity of meeting you in person next time you stay at the hotel, please do ask for me at Reception.
Bungay, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed at this Inn for two nights. Staff were very helpfull and pleasant but the bar prices were a total rip off. One pint of Guinness, small lemonade and lime and a medium glass of house red £19.00! I wasn't too impressed either with the dinner menu prices. 3 sausages and mash, small at that, £10.95. If I ever use Holiday Inns again, I shall be taking my own alcohol and I don't care what the hotel thinks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Philip C
I was sorry to read of your disappointment further to your stay at the hotel. I can assure you our pricing is in line with other 4 star hotels in the area however I am sorry this spoilt your stay with us and I do hope you will change your mind not to use Holiday Inn again.
Cardiff
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We booked this hotel as part of a special package when visiting Chessington World of Adventures. This got us a discount of about 75% off the rack rate and whilst not ideally located for Chessington, it was close enough to meet our needs.

The rooms were very comfortable, and we found the hotel very welcoming for children. Free milk and cookies in a family area adjacent to the bar (with childrens play area attached) meant that we could enjoy a drink in the evening whilst our little one made new friends and relaxed too.

Staff were a little bit of a mixed bag; not all spoke great English (esp. in the restaurant) but a few that were 'natives' more than made up for that, with excellent service from all. Good buffet breakfast selection, just far enough away from the A3 that traffic noise wasn't a problem but close enough to hop on quickly and continue our second day at Chessington with ease. I'd happily go back - but not at standard room rates!

Room Tip: We were on ground floor, so none of the problems referred to by other reviewers about lack of lifts.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to write a review further to your stay with us. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit and that you would return. Holiday Inn is part of a global hotel company which allows us to recruit from all over the world giving employees the opportunity to work in different countries, however I am sorry if some of the staff in the Restaurant did not speak very good English.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Barcelona
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Average hotel; bad location unless you go for business at the research park. The employees in general seemed to be demotivated and lacking on proactivity. They were supposed to call me to my room due to an issue with my booking and I am still waiting. I also had to chase the waiters at the breakfast for a cup of coffee.
I'll check other options in the future

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Jane S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Guildford, responded to this review, September 21, 2012
I was sorry to hear about the dissatisfaction you experienced during your recent stay with us and please accept my sincere apologies. I would welcome the opportunity of speaking with you directly so please do email me your contact details to jane.standing@ihg.com. I would like to restore your faith in the Holiday Inn Guildford and would like to assure you that your experience was by no means typical of our usual high standards of service and guest care.