“Cannot fault them”

Ranked #134 of 286 Restaurants in Guildford
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: JAMIE’S ITALIAN Jamie’s Italian is a contemporary and informal restaurant with a menu that reflects Jamie Oliver’s passion for authentic Italian cooking, delivered with his own unique twist on classic recipes. Beautiful rustic dishes are created using carefully sourced, higher-welfare ingredients for the best flavour, but still at great value. This is a relaxed, affordable and accessible environment where the style, atmosphere and menu can be easily adapted to suit any occasion. KNOWN FOR Child friendly; great value, quick lunch; special occasions; group bookings, party planning.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Cannot fault them”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The food, the service, the ambience in the place, everything was brilliant.

I am a massive fan of Italian food and Jamie's seems the obvious option for this. I have been here quite a number of times now and I never leave feeling disappointed (or hungry).

There is sometimes the occasional wait to be seated at the evening or weekends, but this is due to the popularity of the restaurant.

I'm currently trying to find an excuse to go back soon!

Visited March 2012

Bath
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was looking for somewhere to eat quickly before catching a train with my daughter. We didn't have time to walk round looking elsewhere, otherwise we would never have gone in actually. We explained we needed to eat & leave within an hour & they did try hard to help us with that. However the food was extremely disappointing. I chose a pasta dish that was described as having anchovy in it, & only noticed after ordering it also contained chilli. My daughter chose a ravioli dish with a creamy sauce that sounded delicious. When it arrived my daughter's MAIN course (costing over £10) was just 6 smallish ravioli on the plate, with a bit of asparagus & leaves garnishing it. My pasta was a reasonable size but so spicy hot with the chilli that I struggled to eat it. I don't associate hot spicy food with Italian at all, & I think it should have been clearly pointed out that this was a HOT dish. The waiter offered to replace it but I knew there wouldn't be time for that before our train left, so I struggled on. I shared a bit with my daughter because she had hardly anything to eat, but she found the chilli flavour a challenge as well, so didn't eat much. Her ravioli were lovely but just not enough of them. My pasta was so al dente as to be not quite cooked, & no garnish or anything, so just a bowl of cheap carbohydrate really with a bit of tomato & olive in it. I had ordered an asparagus side dish as well, which was fine, although again on the stingy side. I expected the pasta to be really good quality but it was very average, no better than you get in an ordinary supermarket. I had to pay £24.40 & felt completely ripped off. The only good thing about Jamie's is they offer you a jug of tap water freely. I would rather go hungry than pay to eat at Jamie's again. It's nothing like an Italian restaurant, & I have been in several, so I do recognise good food when I taste it.

1 Thank Fairweathersailor5
Eastbourne, England, United Kingdom
“ok,nothing new....”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Food was well cooked, but nothing out of the ordinary or that made me go 'wow'. my tuna pasta, i could have made at home. Was given a dirty glass with my bottle of Coke, surely someone could spot this between the dishwasher and serving a new customer? prices were also average,not in a great rush to go back.

Guildford
“Not at all impressed- small portions”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I ate at Jamie's Italian at the bottom of North Street in Guildford the other week and I must say I was disappointed. I will admit I have never set foot in Italy, so am not fully aware of what constitutes authentic Italian cuisine, but I'm sure it is a lot better than this.

First of all, the interior of the building is not particularly well decorated and the layout is nothing special. It's one of those drop-in places which cannot be booked in advance. Initially the staff attempted to put my group of five people on a small table meant for four but luckily they did not object when we moved ourselves to a more suitable spot. There was an unlimited supply of drinking water but it did come from the tap (the sink was located just behind us!). There was not much space to put our bags either so we left them by our feet (which meant they got in our way whilst we ate).

Minor gripes aside, the main problem with this place was the food (which of course is the most important part of any restaurant experience). I ordered risotto balls (costing £5) for my starter. I got three small balls and a stingy portion of salsa for my money. They tasted okay, nothing great. Next up, the main course, pasta mixed with chunks of sausage. Or, at least that's what it was meant to be. Instead I got a small bowl of pasta which did not taste all that nice (it was edible, nothing better to say than that). As for the meat, it was virually tasteless sausage which had been ground up into tiny pieces. And it cost me £10! So after two courses and £15 spent, I was still hungry. Therefore I had to spend £5 more on a chocolate brownie for desert, which was okay, nothing to write home about.

The service was not too bad, the waiting time was okay as well but then again the restaurant was far from full so it may be a different story when filled to capacity.

I'm giving this place two stars because there are worse places (recently for example my gran visited a restaurant at a renowned English castle and was served a pie that was not properly cooked, so she spent a whole night vomiting). Make no mistake though, I don't recommend this eaterie. Guildford deserves better, and luckily the town does have vastly superior restaurants.

1 Thank PhilFGuildford
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good with the kids”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

The kids had free meals which is very good and it's nice to see them eat something that doesn't look pre-processed. However the waiting staff have twice got the bill wrong and I'm not sure I like the over friendly approach they have.

Visited June 2012