“DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL - it was appalling. Disgraceful customer service, no hot water, not staffed, credit card details writt”
Review of Surrey Hills Hotel

Surrey Hills Hotel
and 1 more site!
Surrey Hills Hotel
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I am not quite sure where to start in writing this review! Firstly I would say DO NOT STAY HERE!
We arrived to check in and the receptionist was in the office, she pulled a notebook from under the desk with ALL GUESTS credit and debit card details (which was requested upon booking) this is illegal and if fell into the wrong hands could be used fraudulently. My husband kindly requested (after paying for the room) that this was removed and the receptionist was very hostile and challenging about this.
We then found our rooms (which had to be accessed via a outside fire escape). The room was clean but very dated. The tea/coffee amenities were not replenished each day. The restaurant/bar were closed day and night and we were informed upon check in that there would be no facility to breakfast which was supposed to be part of the package. We were staying for a wedding so had 3 rooms for other family members and not one of us had hot water. I went to reception to tell staff and found no one there. The next day upon check out the hotel was completely deserted with no staff to be found. We were given no instruction what to do with our key so reluctantly had to leave them in the room door.
The following day when I got home I phoned the hotel to share my experience and the female member if staff hung up on me! I called back and the male staff member answered. He told me I was a 'winger', said that there was hot water but because I was in room 8 it takes time to reach the room!! He basically told me I was a liar and said there was staff at the hotel that I could have told!! He also ended up hanging up on me!! I can honestly say I was not rude at any time, I was simply sharing my experience which was not pleasant!! I was absolutly astounded by the response I had! I have never stayed in a hotel with customer service skills and facilities as poor as this, and I have stayed in many!!

Interestingly, I had my hair done in nearly by Dorking town as we were going to a wedding and the stylist said this hotel has seriously gone down hill since it changed hands a few years ago.

• Stayed July 2012
5 Thank Hermonj

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed May 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night. Thought it was strange when I was the only car in the car park. Still nice welcome and room was ok, if a little dated. Following morning, when trying to check out I found every door in the hotel locked and there was no one around, eventually found a fire escape at the back of the hotel. had to leave key on doorstep as even the front door to the reception was locked.

Stayed April 2012

Travelers are raving about these Dorking hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed at the Surrey Hills Hotel, nr Dorking, found it absolutely first class, clean spacious and large comfy bed. To top it all there is a state of the art Asian restaurant on site, absolutely amazing, great food and service, hotel and restaurant reasonably priced, and you can do a deal! Tom - Lincoln.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Tom H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed here when i came down to visit friends, firstly the staff were very friendly and helpful the hotel room had everything needed.

The restaurant attached to the hotel was amazing the food was the best thai/chinese i have ever had.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brendan p
Surrey
Reviewed July 30, 2011

we went for the Dinner Dance Cabaret Night
Was shocked to find no disabled access and no disabled Toilet this hotel needs to step into the real world
Food was good except for the really burnt roast potatoes
Cabaret night great atmosphere at first then DJ let his son have free range this is the way to clear the dance floor thought i was in Ibiza
The Comedian booked did 25mins he was not too bad but didn’t tell jokes as such more like banter with the crowd that was there, oh and he did a bit of singing

If they put in the necessary changes to make it accessible i would go back

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank pinksanlau
West Sussex
Reviewed December 6, 2007

When we arrived at the hotel to say we had an odd reception would be an understatement. The receptionist was not the most communicative and took ages to take our payment. As we were staying at the hotel purely because we were spending the evening in nearby Dorking, and would be back at the hotel rather late, we enquired about getting back in when we returned. We were told that the hotel would be locked and we had to use the back fire escape to re-enter, and were given a key. We thought this strange.

When we returned it was clear that we were the only people staying which felt a bit strange. Only our cars were in the car park. We had a problem finding the fire escape but eventually found it and got back in and to our rooms. The next morning everywhere was still locked and appeared to be totally deserted apart from us. The only way out was via the fire escape.

Although the hotel and rooms were clean and tidy, albeit with cheap furnishings, I would not stay there again nor would I recommend it to others. All in all a strange and slightly un-nerving experience although in hind-sight quite funny.

I've stayed in many hotels, some a bit odd, but nothing quite as strange as the Surrey Hills!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank itbod
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2006

I arrived at the hotel and was greeted with a warm welcome, then showed to my room. the decor was very dated but I thought at the time clean. There are no restaurants in walking distance and I walked for about an hour until I came across a pub in a village. The next morning I woke up to find no tea bags so I checked the pot in case they had been placed in there. To my horror was a stale pot of tea. I searched the room and decided to go down stairs for some tea bags. There was not a sole about, all the doors was locked and I was locked in the hotel as the only guest. I tried every door in the hotle to get out and even called the hotels number which went straight to answer machine. what topped this off was that I had no toilet paper and I had to exit the hotel by the fire escape. I have to say that this stay was the strangest place I have ever stayed in and will never stay again.

Stayed May 2006
5 Thank LymmLife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
Gatton Manor
Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Thatchers Hotel
Thatchers Hotel
#3 of 3 in Leatherhead

Been to Surrey Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!