Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Great 4.5/5
    Thatchers Hotel(Leatherhead)
    Good 3.5/5
    All reviewstithe barnafternoon teaoutdoor poolgarden roomwedding receptioncream teafinger sandwicheswedding venuewedding breakfastset menulovely hotelvisited this hoteloverlooking the gardenbusy roadbar menusunday morningwhole experience
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed December 5, 2010

Very unpleasant stay at a ridiculously over inflated cost! Marketed as a four star hotel but this was NOT my experience. As can be seen by photos, the quality of accommodation was shoddy - certainly not worth the £119 I paid (should have been £139 but got discount via laterooms). Broken plug sockets, stained furniture, pubic hairs in bath. Photos will show that the view from my window was over the bins and kitchen yard. Raised my concerns with Duty Mgr who off-handedly offered a discount of £25.00. I am sure that if you are given same room (404) nothing will have changed.

Sadly my stay got worse. My room was sited over the kitchens and I had to endure loud shouting, banging and crashing from the kitchen and the kitchen yard outside, which was underneath my window. This went on until approx 11pm. At one point I had to lean out of my window and ask the cooks, who were swearing and shouting in the yard, to be quiet. They found this amusing and took pleasure in being even louder. When the kitchens closed I was kept awake by the antiquated, ventilating system which was under my window. I can only liken it to sleeping next to a jumbo jet. Hotel staff said nothing could be done. Had the weather not been soo bad (heavy snow) I would have packed and left in middle of the night (something I've never done before despite travelling all over the world). After a night without sleep I called down to order breakfast. No answer on Room Service. Breakfast eventually came but was stone cold and minus some things I'd ordered.

Bad on many levels. Was very happy to leave and will never return. Worst hotel experience I've had for many years.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
    4  Thank Travelbugbear_10
    tijhuis, Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2010

I am really sorry to hear that your stay the Mercure Burford Bridge Hotel wasn't up to expectations. I would very much like to discuss the matter with you in person and would appreciate it if you would call me on 01306 884 561.

Tony Tijhuis, Hotel Manager

Reviewed October 19, 2010

We attended a wedding at this venue and had booked a room for that night.
    An ideal hotel to be invited for a wedding ceremony, and a great place to stay!
    The staffs were friendly and attentive. Our room was very clean and quiet. It overlooked the garden area and had a balcony with seating which would be ideal on a sunny day.
    The buffet breakfast was very good. We would not hesitate to stay there again.
    We needed to telephone the hotel on several occasions before the weeding day and found the staff helpful, polite and focused.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
    tijhuis, Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2010

Thank you very much for your review on Tripadvisor. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found are service to be very good.
    I look forward to getting the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed September 26, 2010

i stayed here the other night because it's close to my office. The hotel is in a very beautiful location although it isn't that close to much so you probably need a car.

The hotel staff that I met were very friendly and efficient. They also answered all of my questions (where to get food, how close to Dorking, etc). My room was lovely and had a view of the back with some pretty scenery. My company has an agreement for free internet so I did take advantage of that. The room was comfortable and quite spacious for England standards. I had an excellent night's sleep too.

The only drawback/disappointment was the water pressure in the shower. There was almost none so basically, I didn't feel like I got all the soap off which was annoying. The rest of the bathroom was very nice too. I mentioned the water pressure to a colleague who had stayed there before and she said she had the same problems but forgot to warn me. It's a shame because that was the only drawback to the hotel.

I didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
    tijhuis, Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will look into your feedback regarding the shower pressure. I am pleased that you enjoyed your overall stay and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 17, 2010

As w edding venue I could not have asked for more. The location is wonderful and the setting fantastic. Throughout the whole of my stay (from the night before the wedding to the morning after) the staff were attentive, caring and professional. It is so refreshing to see staff who obviously care about their work and aim to please whatever the situation. Even my disaster with one of my wedding cake tiers (dropped as I brougt it in) was sorted out by them - the pastry chef not only re-iced the whole thing for me but set it up beautifully. My every request was catered for - even my request for Jamaican food for my evening buffet! My guests were extremely impressed with all the food but the Jamaican food surpassed all expectations. The accomodation was lovely - all my wedding party were impressed with the standard of cleanliness and the size of the rooms. I would be happy to recommend the Burford Bridge to anyone either as a hotel or as a wedding venue. My deepest thanks to Tony and his team for a day that will never be forgotten.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
    1  Thank shelleyfrancis
    tijhuis, Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2010

Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and all of us here at the Burford Bridge Hotel are pleased that you enjoyed your important day so much.
    We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

It has been a while since I have stayed at a Mercure and I was very pleased to see that the high standards I have been used to are surpassed at Burford Bridge. Set below the impressive Box Hill and close to the UK's largest vineyard, Denbies, the staff at check in and meal times were efficient and friendly, the rooms spotlessly clean with excellent facilities, and all communal areas both outside and in well maintained and attractive. My only minor irritation was not receiving the wake-up call I had booked for the Sunday morning but I am happy to recommend this superb hotel and would certainly stay there again myself.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family

Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us at the Mercure Burford Bridge Hotel and I hope to see you on your next trip.