All reviews tithe barn outdoor pool afternoon tea garden room privilege room wedding reception scones lovely hotel wedding breakfast wedding venue overlooking the garden no lift function room bar menu sunday morning whole experience beautiful location
Selected filters
Reviewed May 28, 2019 via mobile

Love the pool area but ordered this ‘chicken Caesar wrap’ for £4.50 to eat by the pool, the picture says it all! Literally a small piece of bacon and chicken, no lettuce etc. Would advise against buying the food there.

Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2019

Lovely hotel, great setting...

17 people on first night in our party there for a wedding the next day. No children's menu, we were told to just 'cut it in half' on an adult burger for an 8 year old (which cost £15).we were split on to 3 tables as they said we couldn't put them together?? Took the fun away from a pre-wedding family meal as we all couldn't join in on conversations.
Our son had a severe allergic reaction to his food after 1 bite, which they seemed more concerned for charging us for than making sure he was ok.
Outdoor pool area is fab, shame you can't get water around the side of the pool, let your children laugh (because older members who pay to just swim there like it quiet) or sit with you feet up on a sun lounger without being told off like 3 year olds by the pool manager. Sorry, if children laughing is too much of an inconvenience then don't open the pool to them (or was it because our faces didn't fit?) As later there was an abundance of children in the pool making plenty of noise when the wedding ceremony was going on...
Apart from that...wedding was great, rooms were comfortable...if you get a room at the back of the hotel or you will be kept awake my cars & motorbikes racing up box hill every minute day & night...staff very polite, apart from one who asked if one of our guests came from Liverpool & when she told him yes he replied 'that's unfortunate '.
Apart from that we made it a good weekend for our newlyweds.

Nicely decorated, lovely setting, pleasant grounds, perfect for intimate weddings.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2019 via mobile

My partner arrived before I did due to work commitments. The room he was allocated was dirty and there was mould in the bathroom. The hotel staff moved him to room 211.

Room 211 - the air con did not work. The friendly staff came to try and fix it but could not, so we had a fan and the window open. We were at the front of the hotel, which sits on a very busy road. This meant poor and interrupted sleep for us. Lots of loud cars and motorbikes passing.

No hot water from the bathroom sink. No removable shower hose to clean the bath/ shower out afterwards.

Welcome drink voucher given - took 30 minutes for the drinks to be brought up for us.

Breakfast - the menu in the room has the basics and nicer things such as smoked haddock and smoked kippers. We made our way to the restaurant for breakfast - the buffet looks soppy. Cheap tasteless jam. Cheap juices. Tiny selection considering size of the hotel.

Waiter told me that smoked haddock and kippers were not available in restaurant and were for room service only!

All of the above relayed to staff who offered a pathetic 15% refund. What an insult.

Decor is nice and modern but that’s about it. Spend your time & money elsewhere

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2019

Stayed here as we were attending a wedding in a near by venue. Our room was very small and on the front of the hotel with a tiny window, opening the window we saw to our left was a fenced off area and staff were sitting smoking which we could smell in the room!! not a good start. The room although small was nicely decorated and clean but very dark. We had to ask for tea and coffee as there were none left for us.
The breakfast was terrible, self service, hot food was actually cold and not very appetizing, bland and greasy. Small amount of cold options which made no difference anyway!! Coffee was poor, weak and tasteless and from a self service vat. The only saving grace was the fruit which was passable. I don't understand that in a 4* hotel they don't make nice fresh coffee and tea and an ordered breakfast system .
When we were waiting for our family some of the staff were having a heated discussion behind the bar in front of guests, this is unacceptable, actually the staff were not at all friendly or helpful, maybe some training is needed.
The public areas are nicely decorated. It wasn't a cheap stay so we expected more and better standards....sorry this wasn't so.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
David T, General Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2019

Dear Winks6,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave feedback following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was naturally, very sorry to learn of the shortcomings that you experienced and for this I do trust that you will accept my most sincere apologies. I do assure you that we usually do adhere to the highest standards of service and hotelkeeping and we will shortly be looking at ways to improv our service and your feedback will be very helpful in helpin us to do that.

Once again, thank you for leaving your feedback and I trust that you will wish to return to the hotel at some stage in the near future, when i do assure you tht evrything will be to the standrad you were expecting on this most recen visit.

Yours sincerely,

Andrew J M Oxley
General Mananger

Reviewed May 8, 2019 via mobile

I rang up to book afternoon tea. I spoke to a member of staff saying That we require 3 vegetarian afternoon teas and that we eat dairy and fish. We arrived at the hotel and were seated. The staff member asked would we like lunch I said no we’re here for afternoon tea. He said do you want tea. I said yes afternoon cream tea with a glass off fizz. tea was served I said I rang and booked afternoon tea for 3 vegetarians we don’t eat meat. After waiting 40 minutes the cream tea came up. Cream tea for vegetarians he said. When looking at the sandwiches they were ham. ‍♀️ The cakes were mainly chocolate. Not the greatest cream tea or service.

Trip type: Traveled with family
David T, General Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2019

Dear BeckyM7,

We are deeply sorry you had an unpleasant experience at the Burford Bridge Hotel. I believe we might have had an off day as we usually get really good feedback with regards to Afternoon Tea. We continuously strive to achive the best customer satisfaction possible and I think there is a lesson to be learnt here. Would you be so kind to email our Bar & Restaurant Manager, Joao at h6635-fb1@accor.com as he would like to personally apologize to you.

We hope your next experience will be a fantastic one!

Best regards,