“Home from Home”

Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I am a business traveller and without sounding arrogant, I've stayed at a lot of the "big name" hotels. Please let me tell you: I'd happily swap the Hiltons, Mövenpick's, Radissons etc... for this charming hotel Dorking. I have had the pleasure of staying there twice now and to me this feels like home from home. The furnishings are cosy, the gardens wonderfully well kept (even in winter), the food is absolutely gorgeous (I enjoyed the carrot & corriander soup followed by chicken in red-wine sauce with mashed potatoes and a selection of vegetables and after I had finished my meal, I asked the waitress if it were possible to take the chef home with me!). The rooms in the back building come with their own balcony / garden, which made me feel like I was staying in private accommodation. I had to laugh when I first entered the room and saw the bed - very big and with lots of pillows, this is what I imagine the bed of Sleeping Beauty must have looked like. And sleep, I did. Very well indeed (which I usually can't when I'm not in my own bed). The beds are very comfortable, room temperature just perfect and the hotel is quiet during the night. A definite plus!!. My biggest compliments and thanks, however, go to the staff. All of them were extremely attentive and not just friendly but warm-hearted. I do believe they genuinely try to make you feel at home. Last not least, they hotel has an extra bonus feature: it is home to a beautiful cat called "Kat". She lives on the hotel grounds and everyone guests and staff look after her. I like this a lot. I will definitely will not stay anywhere else but the Burford Bridge next time I'm over in Surrey to visit our UK office. I recommend that other hotels send their staff to this little gem to learn how to make travellers happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back building. You will get your own balcony / garden where you can sit and en...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank EkJonesey

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We held pur wedding reception at The Burford Bridge hotel and loved it. The staff throughout the day were well skilled to deal with over 100 guests and lots of little ones. The service was excellent during the wedding breakfast we were asked whether teh barn was a suitable temperature and whether there was anything else we needed for ourselves or our guests. We had a lot of great comments from guests about the food, we served Ham hock, Pork Belly and Chocolate Fondant. They also loved the selection duringtehevening buffet and although I didnt have a chance to eat any the area was always full of guests refilling their plates! A lot of the men were wandering past the buffet grabbing a mini burger then hitting the dance floor!

The whole process of planning teh wedding with The Burford Bridge was also excellent, you have a dedicated wedding planner who you can call or email at annytime with any question however random and they deal with it and try to adjust or cater to your wishes as much as possible.

Alot of our guests stayed the night and were very comfortable in an assortment of rooms, the breakfast is extensive and whether you fancy a fried breakfast, continental or just fruit it is there for you and cooked perfectly.

We are very grateful to all the staff who were involved in the planning, menu tasting, cooking, serving and setting up of the Tithe Barn especially Beverly the Wedding planner, they all made our day go without a hitch and helped make it the best day of our lives!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Danni N
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a Travelzoo voucher. We had to cancel and rebook twice at very late notice and the reservations team were very understanding and helpful.
The hotel is very comfortable. At reception we were given a very friendly welcome and check in was quick and easy. We were given a Superior room but when we got inside it smelt strongly of gloss paint. We called down to Reception and were moved into a neighboring room within 20mins that was equally as nice. The room had an enclosed balcony which was very nice, with a view across the garden.
Dinner was very nice and we had drinks in the bar before hand which was very relaxed.
The duty manager Francessco, was very friendly and helpful and was very attentive during dinner, as were the other waiting staff.
Our bed that night was very comfy but the room was very warm and even with the radiator turned down and the window open it still felt very hot and stuffy (It was very cold out!).
Breakfast is served from 7.30-10.30 and we went down at 9 am. Again the staff were very friendly and helpful but although the selection was good I found the food to have suffered from being out too long and not on the fresh side.
The sausage skins were very tough from having dried out, there was little egg left and the baked beans were extremely dried up, congealed from having been sat in a heated turin.
The coffee was so stewed i was unable to drink it and got tea instead.
However the fruit, breads and juices were all fresh and tasty.
Checkout was smooth and we left rested but I am unsure that I would return as we had an average, unremarkable stay and there really isn't any attraction in the area that we would return for (we visited Denbies on this trip).
The function suite was set up for a wedding and I think it is an ideal hotel for functions.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A really lovely hotel. We have stayed many times over 45 years!! The only downside is that it is difficult to stay at weekends as weddings seem to take over. The rooms are lovely and the food very good. The staff are very caring and will go to any lengths for customers

Room Tip: The garden rooms are the quietest
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Paul M, General Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for you kind comments about your stay here at the Burford Bridge Hotel . It is always nice to hear about guests who have stayed for many years and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed for two nights for a wedding there recently. Very pleasant welcome & room was well decorated & all you could require. Extremely overheated so windows open & then found you could not turn off the heating from their 'seasonal settings', odd... Room at the back so rather noisy from a disco in the barn till the wee hours but slept better the second night.

Wedding in the Tythe Barn was wonderfully organised & the food was exceptional.

Excellent position just off M25 and some great dining in the vicinity but agree it's relatively dear.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest thank you very much for placing your comments about our Hotel on Trip Advisor , I apologise that the room was too hot please be assured that we have investigated this and endeavour to make sure the issues are corrected

Reviewed February 6, 2013

Nice friendly staff on arrival and up to my room. It was very nice, roomy with a desk and armchair. The tea making facilities were hiden in the wardrobe, the TV was partly obscured when you led in bed, which was actually very comfy.

A really nice roomy bathroom with very hot water.

We ate in the bar in the evening and "Shock Horror" the prices were more what you would expect in central London. £13 for a "Plain Burger" and an extortonate £4 for a pint of Fosters. My colleague had a Duck noodle dish and three glasses of wine and her bill was £35. Ridiculous. Good job the nibbles were free. I am by no means tight, but I detest being ripped off for drinks.

Any way a decent nights sleep and down to breakfast, which I have to say was fine, nice poached eggs and lovely toast.

At £114 for B&B it was a little bit too much for the standard you get. I have stayed in a lot better for a lot less.

Room Tip: Take a deep wallet if you want a few drinks.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

I apologise that you did not feel that when you stayed at the Burford Bridge Hotel you received good value for money , it is always our aim to deliver excellent service and good value . Your comments have been taken on board and will be considered when reviewing our pricing structure

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We booked in via a travelzoo offer and met up with friends for a birthday celebration. The location suited us as it was equidistant between our respective homes and staying the night meant we could celebrate in style which we did. We thought the deal represented great value for money. We had a pleasant room overlooking the garden and an enjoyable dinner from a limited menu but we all managed to find something we liked. For a hotel the drink prices were not unreasonable. Breakfast was a buffet which offered a good choice. The service was excellent and we were made to feel very welcome. Our friends had to bring their young son with them at the last minute due to snow closing his school and the hotel were very accommodating by giving them a larger room to accomadate the three of them at no extra cost. Roll on the next deal.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Gust
Thank you for your posative comments i was pleased to read thet you had a good experience whilst staying at our Hotel . Your comments will be passed onto our team .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorking
De Vere Wotton House
Hartsfield Manor, Betchworth
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 3 in Egham

Been to Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!