“Burford Bridge Hotel”

Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Dorking
“Burford Bridge Hotel”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I booked to stay at the Burford Bridge as a special treat for my husband to celebrate his 50th birthday.

We were allocated the Keats Suite, which was supposed to be the best room in the hotel.

Unfortunately, as we approached our room a tray full of dirty half full glasses was left in the corridor outside of our room (the glasses remained there until late evening when we informed reception). Once we were in the room, we found the wardrobe door had fallen off, the voile curtains were hanging off, the waste bin in the bathroom had not been emptied and was still full of dirty tissues and hair. Finally there was only one dressing gown and one pair of slippers provided.

I have to say that the staff responded to our complaints with the utmost courtesy. But never the less I would rather have not had to have dealt with these issues, on what was supposed to be a very special occasion and did spoil our stay.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gromiit8
tijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, September 7, 2011
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry to hear that your stay at the Burford Bridge Hotel was not up to expectations. Feel free to call me at any time on 01306 884561 to discuss the matter in person. Kind regards, Tony Tijhuis, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I stayed for a weekend with my husband and it was great. The staff are friendly, the garden beautifull and the room was nice and cosy, felt fresh in the morning. We also seen a wedding party and they seem to enjoy them self. I recomend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed July 2011
tijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Burford Bridge Hotel. We look forward to your next visit.
Kindest regards,

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2011

My wife and I recently visited for a 2 night stay as a special treat. We find it very difficult to find any fault. The room was very nice, we had dinner on the first night, and afternoon tea the next day. The food and service were both superb, just a genuinely lovely experience! Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and your food. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Kindest regards,

surrey,uk
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Great hotel with rooms what you get for 4star with very helpful staff.Just stayed in for 1 night as me and my Mrs needed a bit of break from our kids so decided to stay with burford bridge as they had a outdoor pool and with some good reviews.We had Full afternoon tea we thought it was really great with a perfect service from their bar & lounge manager and the kitchen to put out those lovely scones and cakes.Later came back for a meal at the bar as we wanted some light snacks and bar menu was just right for us.Had couple of dishes missing but the rest sounded just right.Bit pricey but it is a hotel so dint mind.Great food and service again so will definitely recommend and would back in the future with kids.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
tijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you very much for your review. I am glad that you had a great stay with us at the Mercure Burford Bridge Hotel and that you enjoyed our food and service. I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards,
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We know this hotel from years ago when the service and everything about it was great.
Not last Saturday. At 6.30pm before the start of a big party - no gin for the G & Ts, half dead flowers and very slow service. Next morning breakfast was chaotic with no bacon, beans or hash brownies, no butter and only two tiny pots of marmalade which took some hunting out. Waiters did everything they could to avoid us so by the time tea and toast had arrived after we'd cobbled together something for breakfast it was way too late. And guess what. Having discovered I'd left pearl earrings by the side of the bed - they haven't been handed in by housekeeping.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Murphy038
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at the Mercure Burford Bridge Hotel. I treat all feedback very seriously and the matter is being looked into.
Feel free to e-mail me on Tony.Tijhuis@accor.com or call me on 07908 140 385 to discuss this further. Kind regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Nice location, but rip off for afternoon tea. Found same as another review. Small ordinary pot with two regular tea bags. Two pretty dull scones. Jam and cream was nice. Tea brought first then 10 mins later the scones. £8.95 each. Might give a better mark if <£5 but would prefer a decent afternoon tea.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UK_Traveller10145
tijhuis, General Manager at Mercure Box Hill Burford Bridge Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Thank you for your constructive feedback. I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy your cream tea. Our new Head Chef Andrew Barrass, who started with us last week, will look into this as a matter of urgency to ensure you will experience a much better product in the future.

Please feel free to contact me the next time you intend to come and have tea with us.
All best wishes,

Wijchen, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 25, 2011

Stayed here for the second time in two years. Both time a very nice stay.
Friendly staff, good service attitude.
Only downside is they don't have free wifi in the room.
Had a temporary problem with the shower, but the room and bathroom were very nice.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are nice.