“What a find - we'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Little Dudley House - CLOSED

Little Dudley House
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Nestled in the valley of Surrey Hills is the historical and beautiful Little Dudley House. Modern British cuisine and a mesmerising wine list. An experience you must try and taste to believe.
Guildford, United Kingdom
“What a find - we'll be back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I visited Little Dudley House in Febuary for a business lunch and was frankly underwhelmed and had not returned. That is until I heard one of the founders of The Cinnamon Club and Roast, two of my favourite London restaurants had taken over in the summer, so I decided to try Sunday lunch.
It was clear as soon as we walked in that there had been a dramatic change. Gone is the hideous lighting and pink furniture, and in it's place is low lighting,expensive looking sofas and chairs in the lounge and a smart new bar. A warm and welcoming room bookended by a wood burning stove at one end and an open log fire at the other. Perfect to escape the dark and chilly winters afternoon.
The Sunday lunch menu is limited but full of classic, almost retro dishes - and all the better for it.We had prawn cocktail and chicken liver pate to start and both delivered on presentation and taste. We had perfectly cooked (medium) rib of beef with excellent Yorkshire pudding and roast potatoes. What really stood out were the side orders of vegetables. Sweet baby carrots, vibrant greens and a lovely cauliflower cheese. All perfectly cooked, retaining their bite and such a change from the mushy melange usually served up on a Sunday.
I had very little room for desert but when I saw it was classic "British Pudding Weekend" I relented and tried the Spotted Dick and custard. It was superb and rounded off an excellent meal in style.
This is a real find. Very good value. A lovely historic building that's been tastefully refurbished. Really nice relaxed ambience and lovely staff.
I will be back for dinner soon and if it's as good as Sunday lunch then I've a feeling I'll be a regular.The new owner clearly knows what he's doing and this is one to watch.

• Visited November 2013

“Top Sunday roast worth every penny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

We thought we would try Little Dudley House's new Sunday lunch menu and we were very pleased we did. I started with the cheese souffle which I have to say was the best one I have ever tasted, deliciously light and fluffy and the cheese not overpowering at all. My husband had the trout which was very tender too. Then l went for the chicken roast (half a chicken!) and my husband tried the lamb. Both meals came with plenty of delicious roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and vegetables. There was also a helping of cauliflower cheese, perfect for the two of us and again, beautifully cooked. We tried the organic red wine and that was fabulous too. We really wanted to sample a pudding as the restaurant had a special selection of hearty old-fashioned puddings available but we were just too full :( We will be going back to try the puddings next time!
Have to say that the service was impeccable throughout, very diligent, attentive waiters.

Reigate, United Kingdom
“Formal sit down to delicious bar snacks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I have now been to Little Dudley House 4 times. Twice for dinner with my husband and friends, once for lunch with my children and the last time with a small group of girlfriends for cocktails and bar snacks. I can honestly say I have not once been disappointed. Service was great, food delicious and all in a beautiful setting. Will definitely be going back to try their Sunday Lunch as soon as. You really should give it a try.

• Visited September 2013
Reigate, United Kingdom
“Appalling experience...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I don't often write reviews but am so appalled by this restaurant that I felt I should share our experience and feedback.

We booked this restaurant for originally 14 people and we're all snr professionals in our early to mid 30s. This dinner was to celebrate a special birthday and engagement. I invited people who travelled from the city and across the south east so all made a huge effort to get to Dorking.
That day, I called to reduce our party from 14 to 12 due to 2 people being sick. At no point was I told I would be charged or had signed some form of contract for this booking.

After an evening spending a huge amount of money on expensive wine we were given the bill and charged a 3 course meal for the 2 people who I had cancelled for.
We naturally thought this was a mistake however after addressing it with the General Manager, he made some lame excuse that it was in the small print of the website and advised and agreed to not pay the 12% service charge to his staff for the work they did that evening (despite them having done a good job on the eve) Any manager that charges for food which we didn't receive and opts for the choice of not paying his staff is not principled.

Had we known we had to pay two 3 course meals for people who weren't there we would have insisted to have the meals which at no point were offered and clearly not cooked or prepared.

It is so disappointing and morally despicable to see that this restaurant would rather not pay there own staff for their hard work than be reasonable and not charge for food we weren't given.

The General Managers attitude spoilt what was supposed to be a special celebration and if that's the type of person who runs this place, this place is a disgrace to eat at.

3 Thank NickP1980
katie170613, Manager at Little Dudley House, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Nick
thank you for your feedback; we welcome all feedback negative and positive as a way for us to keep progressing and to ensure that we are delivering to the highest possible standard.
Firstly , please allow me to apologise. What you witnessed is certainly not in keeping with the way we wish to create and maintain standards. Please email myself directly so I can personally contact you. Katie@littledudleyhouse.co.uk
Kind regards
Katie Jackson
Operations Director
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What a lovely lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

Went here a few weeks ago for lunch with some friends. I'm a fussy pain and can't eat dairy and the staff couldn't have been more helpful, even whipping me something up off menu. The wine and food were delicious, would love to come back in the evening as the place is so atmospheric it must be great for a cocktail. Highly recommend it.

• Visited October 2013