“The Cherry on the top”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My birthday weekend trip to Sutton Hoo and Suffolk was topped by a more luck than judgement visit to The Cherry Tree. Driving round on the Saturday night heading out from Ipswich we came across this coaching inn and it turned out to be one of the highlights of our weekend. Excellent Adnam's beer, friendly clientele and bar staff, topped with really well cooked, incredible value food we would recommend this inn to anyone. Good food well cooked with portions to fill up even the hungriest person The Cherry Tree does not disappoint. We will be back to this inn next time we are in Suffolk.

1  Thank Boatman96

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Went there with a local resident who had not eaten at the Pub before but had heard good things about it.

The pub was almost empty on a Thursday lunchtime. I struggled to find something on the menu that I fancied - so did my friend. I went for the home made cod and dill fishcakes, she went for the bacon and lentle soup and the nachos with bolognaise sauce.

The fishcakes came up looking like a load of salmon and potatoe on the plate. I don't like salmon fishcakes so I sent them back only to be told it was cod but there was a lot of tomato puree in them. They were not cooked properly so I had an alternative of plain old fish and chips which were fine.

My friend said her soup was very unpleasant. I tried it. I make this soup at home and it is delicious. Don't know what they did wrong. The soup was untouched and when we paid, we mentioned the inedible soup but it was not taken off the bill.

Will not visit again.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Met up with my sister for a quick lunch in the pouring rain. Very warm welcome, table found and my partner and I shared two platters (a Antipasti one and a Cheeseboard) which were both served with a real selection of meats and cheeses, breads and crackers, chutney, balsamic dipping oil and slices of crisp apple. What a midweek treat!
Service couldn't be faulted, food was excellent and reasonably priced, several interesting specials on their board too. A very good pub lunch with a very warm welcome, one we will repeat very soon.

1  Thank Alicat13
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I have eaten here twice now and will certainly be making it a third. Incredible value, in fact we worked it out as being cheaper than cooking at home. Only critism was the service, for example, we asked for a sandwich on granary and got a white roll... I asked twice for mayonaise. That is however being super critical as overall this is a lovely pub- try the asparagus and poached egg when its in season!

Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and myself had an excellent meal here on a Saturday lunch time. My wife had fish cakes , homemade wedge style chips but didn't want the salad (as per the menu) but it was no trouble to substitute the salad for a fine selection of vegetables. I had sausage, mash and vegetables.
There was a good selection of deserts.
The portions were large and the service was excellent.
The staff were extremely friendly and polite in this very quaint old fashioned pub which had the obligatory open fire.
After eating we left our car in their car park after asking if this would be ok and walked across the road to Norcutts Garden centre.

1  Thank waller50