“Very Good B&B In The Country”
Review of Grove House Hotel

Grove House Hotel
Ranked #5 of 22 Woodbridge B&B and Inns
Reno, Nevada
“Very Good B&B In The Country”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Chose the Grove House B&B for my recent one-week trip to Woodbridge, Suffolk, England. This was a very comfortable, quite place and an excellent value. They had a wonderful English breakfast made to order and served piping hot -- many choices so you can have it made just the way you want it. This B&B is different from others I have stayed at in England - they have a bar and restaurant for evening meals. I loved their version of bangers and mash. Short walk into Woodbridge. Edd and his staff were very accommodating and friendly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My other half took me to stay the night for valentines as a treat which is why this is late coming, I didnt want him to think me ungrateful!

The whole reason he booked there is because i have friends who eat there and say its lovely food! Well I cant comment as the lady on reception had no one booked in and although very nicely done she discouraged us from eating in in the evening, we went to the seal in Woodbridge (which was fab), We were dissappointed but I suppose we got breakfast there which was a good breakfast!

The room was very tired, water marks where there had been a leak from a roof! Other scuffs and marks on the walls all over, It wasnt that clean and there were alot of little things with it like lights not working etc! I used to work in a hotel and this hotel just lacked a few bits of basic attention to detail!

Now we are quiet people, we do not like to cause a fuss or be a nusciance, so to be fair to the hotel we just got on with enjoying the evening out! I feel bad for my other half though as we live locally and could of just gone for a meal at a later date!

So heres the thing! If you want dinner as well, book it,Dont take for granted that you can get it there, that the restaurant will be open!

On the upside, presentation down stairs though was lovely and nicely decorated and clean! Very basic room for the money with a little more attention to detail it would be a lovely place all round for the money! The staff were very chatty and at least made you feel relaxed around the place!

One tip for the hotel to bear in mind based on my experience of working in the industry! Dont let your staff come to reception in a dirty chefs white its not a good impression even in a small hotel! I would of shot the chef if he had come out like that! Sorry to put in a not so good report as I can vouch that my friends rave about the meals there so regards other people reading this dont be put off eating there, just beware of what to expect of the rooms.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the rooms first if you can, I can only comment on one room there may be others that h...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sam F
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night after a friends wedding. This hotel was good value for money, the breakfast was good and the room was very clean. The bed squeaked every time I turned, but apart from that, a good stay.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Ange_B_11
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Stayed here recently for a friend's wedding, and we booked the family room, at a rate of £70 for the room and £20 per child (which came to £130 in total for us).
The room was really quite basic, and as others have mentioned, the bathroom looked quite tired. The paintwork was dirty, and the toilet roll holder was wonky, which meant that the two rolls of loo paper we were given just fell straight into the loo.
There was no net or blind at the windows, so for privacy when changing we had to pull the curtains.
I had no problem with the size of the room, it was a touch on the small side, but perfectly adequate for our needs.
Bedclothes were clean and fresh, however, the decorative cushion on the bed had clearly not been cleaned as it smelt very musty.
The breakfast was ok - but they seemed to keep running out of things like juice and butter.
The service was good, and very helpful, and certainly eager to please, but I do think the family room needs a thorough refurb, and until that happens, I didn't feel that the room was good value for money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
birmingham
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This hotel is idea for business men but not ideal for pleasure as it is on a main road and quite noisy. The room was clean and basic but the TV was great with plenty of freeview channels. The ensuite was small and tired but adequate for our needs. The evening receptionist was very friendly and told us how to get to Woodbridge on foot and where to eat. I was disappointed to only get one packet of biscuits in the room between 2 of us and this continued at breakfast where we had one very small piece of bacon each with our otherwise very nicely cooked meal. Apart from the receptionist the rest of the staff hardly spoke. At breakfast we were given one small pot of tea and 2 slices of toast between us. We waited for the staff to reappear so we could order more but the door was firmly shut and eventually we gave up and went. On departure there were no staff anywhere in sight so we left the key on the desk. Cheaper accomodation can be found in Ipswich with similar standards.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury
Reviewed July 26, 2011

This is a Hotel/Guest House. If you book DO NOT go in Room 1 on the ground floor. The room does not have any windows that look out - only 2 skylights which altho make the room light enough it still felt like a prison cell (Not that I have been in one)! The shower did not spray only ran like a tap. The walls must be very thin, because the person next door had the TV on 'till 2.30am so sleep was impossible 'till the early hours. The room was clean enough and the staff were very pleasant, light lunch was lovely. Breakfast only so so. We only stayed because we needed to get ready for a wedding in a hurry and had'nt time to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: If not happy with room given, ask straight away if they have any others available.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank JayandSta206
Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed in this small hotel for two nights with three other couples and a family with two children of 9 and 12. We had a very pleasant stay and enjoyed good service from the manager and two charming waitresses. The breakfasts were excellent and I was well catered for as a vegan. The breakfasts were well prepared using fresh ingredients and cooked in butter or olive oil. We ate out but in the evening but afterwards wished that we had eaten in the restaurant. Highly recommended for a reasonably priced stay in delightful Woodbridge.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Salthouse Harbour Hotel
Woodhall Manor
Woodhall Manor
#4 of 4 in Woodbridge

Been to Grove House Hotel? Share your experiences!