“Not for me!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Liverpool
“Not for me!”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Stayed for two weeks. Reception were very good. On the first night I went into the "restaurant" for an evening meal. It had a large party of golfers and the odd hotel guest. I was given a menu, made my selection and waited. Two couples then came in and the same happened. After 20 mins they took the orders from the people that arrived after me...I got up and left and went into Woodbridge.
What a decision that was, it has a wide selection of places to eat, The Crown, The Anchor Pub, The Kings Head, Prezzo. On a Monday night the Anchor was crowded I just managed to get in. A three course with two beers £25 great value and very goodfood.
Back to the hotel....I noticed that stains on my bathroom mirror stayed there for a number of days. My windows (Velux) were covered in hand prints (inside) and bird stuff (outside) so I turned them insideout and cleaned them myself. The hand prints stayed all the week. In the "restaurant" their windows were covered in hand printsfor the two weeks and it looks very bad when the sun shines. The restaurant doubles as the breakfast room, did not like its set up as there was a "walk through" to the bar, think they should build a wall. In the second week you had to fight for a teaspoon, they said there was a shortage!
My room the second week was overlooking the course...great views but it was old, tired dirty, black mould around the bath, long black hairs appeared on the toilet and bath (I'm bald) these guests stayed with me all week. Sorry but would rather pay a bit more and have it clean.
The hotel has a curry night on a Thursday and I'm informed some of the locals pay a visit..watch your bills to make sure you have not been charged for meals or drinks that youhave not had. This should not happen as staff should ask for your hotel signature card....but I guess this is not done hence the overcharge (which was removed without question).
Perhaps I'm just picky or do people accept these standards. Would not stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank StinkyLiverpool

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Polish first
Norwich
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We booked a two-night spa break through Last Minute and wasn't sure what to expect after reading mixed reviews on TA. We paid £199 each, which included breakfast and dinner on both days and an hour worth of spa treatments each up to the value of £50. This seemed pretty good value, but when you factor in unlimited access to the hotel's swimming pool and gym, and access to the gorgeous thermal spa suite, it was excellent.
We didn't use the golf facilities, which aren't included.

Pros: The treatments and the fantastic thermal spa suite, comprising a hydrotherapy pool (jacuzzi, water jets, etc), a sauna, an aromatherapy steam room and my fave, the mineral grotto - where steam passes through minerals and smells divine.
There's also two showers, one of which has a tropical rain function, and the other emits a mist which smells of mint - lovely! The hotel provides towelling robes and towels and some lemongrass salts to be used with some foot baths.
You can help yourself to water and herbal teas and magazines, and rest on loungers in the chill out area.

The staff at the hotel, and particularly the spa, were friendly and helpful

Food was good, albeit what I would call typical 3* hotel standard

Comfortable rooms.

Fantastic views from some rooms and bars, which look out on to golf course.

Cons: Can feel a bit naff, like staying at a leisure centre. We jokingly called it the Brittas Empire after the old sitcom. If you're used to plush or grade I listed hotels, this is not for you.

Vacuum-cleaning just didn't seem to happen in some areas, particularly en route to the pool and spa areas, and along skirting boards throughout hotel.

We felt a bit overlooked during dinner when tables of 10+ golfers took over the restaurant.

My vegetables never turned up on my second night, but staff were very apologetic and let us have our drinks for nothing.

I can imagine room being stiflingly hot in summer as there was no air con or a window to open, just a french door at ground floor level.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would go back for a weekend of total relaxation.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Canterbury, UK
Reviewed August 16, 2009

As others have said, the surroundings are lovely - I don't play golf but the course looks good.

Check-in was fast and friendly. Sadly, I had made a reservation for "the carvery" which seemed to have been lost. We were told that there wouldn't be a carvery that evening and the earliest we could book a table would be 7.45. Oh well....

The room was OK. It had some nice touches (e.g. iron and ironing board, fan in the wardrobe) but the beds were uncomfortable. In general I thought the room standard was disappointing for the price (£110).

Speaking of disappointing - dinner was SUCH a disappointment! Prices were at fine dining level, but nothing else was. Service was over-familiar. I had a ceasar salad as a starter, which came on a tea plate and contained various types of lettuce plus very dry cucumber. It was like tea at my grandmother's! I had a steak as a main course, which was delicious, but it came with virtually raw vegetables and cold, frozen chips. For dessert, I ordered a creme brulee which came on a huge, star-shaped plate with great flourish. Sadly, my "creme" was less than half an inch in depth, so was overwhelmed by the burnt sugar.

I'll look for somewhere better (or at least cheaper) next time I am in the area - and I certainly wouldn't eat there again!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed August 15, 2009

good golf and pool, but dated decoration and cleanliness poor in food service areas. Lovely reception area, but leisure facility entrance - old fashioned curtains and floors and fake grass which was dirty outside.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for one night on the end of a business meeting in the area. The room rate was over £100 for night for us both which was over priced in our option. The room had a lovely view over the golf course, however we prefer rooms with the less is more feel and this room did not offer this.
We did not have a evening meal at the hotel but did use the bar in the evening. The bar area was a bit like a "working man's club" ie no atmosphere.
Fab breakfast, my partner had a full English breakfast and he said it was the best he had ever had!
I had a spa treatment at the hotel the following day, great value, if you stay at this hotel book your treatment in advance, its very popular and i would recommend the spa!

I would use this hotel again, but i did have concerns about the amount of flys in the hotel!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2009

...because this place has the potential to be a really nice , if the owners spent any money on it.

It clearly has good selling points which attract people in - the very nice leisure facilities, golf course, nice big family rooms with lots of circulation space, a comfy settee and free wi-fi.

But it lets itself down by lack of ambition - maybe it gets enough one-off bookings to not care that people won't be back?

The overall experience is one of "could try harder" - except for the beds, which are hard enough already.

The family rooms are large, but make little use of the space. The headboard has space for a larger bed but the hotel has opted to install the smallest (and hardest) double bed it could find, with a proper single bed right next to it. The furniture and decor is dated. The rooms are warm, but not too bad if you open the skyliights windows (we had two in our room so maybe that helped). The bathroom is small and functional. There was a function on but we could not hear it, being on the opposite side of the hotel overlooking the enormous car park.

As mentioned, the swimming pool was very nice and the staff are friendly. The restaurant was only doing a carvery when we were there (I suspect this is not infrequent on busy evenings) which again smacked of lack of ambition. That said, the rib of beef was excellent and though the starters were fine, we skipped the unimaginative desserts. Breakfast again had good and bad - locally sourced farm yoghurts sat alongside huge dishes of tinned grapefruit - clearly fresh fruit salad is too much effort.

We told the receptionist of our poor night's sleep due to the hard beds. There was no glimmer of apology or token of recompense, she merely told us that a lot of people say that. I bet they do - clearly the hotel hears but chooses to do nothing about it.

We also left written comments for the manager (conveniently off duty) but have as yet had no response. I doubt we will. It's just not the kind of place that cares.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,028 helpful votes
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Not worth the money, the room was not large, shower did not work properly, breakfast had lots of dishes over cooked.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Sea98
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Seckford Hall
Muthu Belstead Brooke Hotel
Hintlesham Hall
Hintlesham Hall
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham

Been to Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!