“More than happy, super break”

Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
GreenLeadersGold level
Brigg, United Kingdom
“More than happy, super break”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and i recently stayed at Ufford Park for our 3rd visit this year. I can not recommend this hotel highly enough. A couple of weekends ago we stayed at a high end hotel in London and Ufford Park could more than rival this establishment. The rooms are superb, comfortable beds and the cleanliness is second to none. The staff are extremely attentive without being intrusive. The breakfasts are excellent and the dining room is run very efficiently. Would highly recommend. Visiting family at Snape next week, no question of where we would stay.

Room Tip: Upper rooms facing the golf course are particularly excellent
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MarketingD, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Thomas
Thank you for your wonderful review - the fact that you have stayed with us 3 times already this year and would recommend us so highly speaks volumes - we really do appreciate your kind words as it reassures us that we are always working hard to improve our product and services.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again next week !!

Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was left feeling robbed ! And would most certainly NOT recommend this hotel. I booked in on 31st July for 3 nights in a Superior Room. It was like a greenhouse. I went to bed at 11 p.m. on my first night, and opened the Velux window to let some cool air into the room. This had a blind fitted to it. As soon as I did so,and the room was flooded with light from the car park lighting ( which is a substantial piece of equipment). I layed there until Midnight, and then until1 a.m. hoping this light would go off. It didnt, so I asked the night porter about it, and he informed me it stays on all night. There is no air conditioning, so you are left with the simply choice of BE HOT OR BE LIGHT. At 2.a.m. still awake, I left the hotel and cancelled my stay. What followed thereafter was also disappointing : Lots of customer-friendly chit-chat, when all I wanted was a customer-friendly room. But no action, no discount, and they still charged my debit card during discussions over my complaint. They offered me a free day later in year when it was cooler ! Ha. If I had wanted to go later in the year I would have booked for that. I wanted to go for those 3 days and I wanted a nice stay. I didnt get it.

Room Tip: Dont go upstairs or near those car park lights.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
MarketingD, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Erlin
Thank you for your review we were sorry to read that you were so disappointed with fact our bedrooms were not air-conditioned. Sadly the cost of implementing this for what is normally 2 weeks of the year just does not justify the huge investment (this year we appreciate though has been an exception - according to the news it has been the hottest summer for 7 years!!) but we do provide fans in all our bedrooms plus the ability to open windows etc. - all our public areas are however air conditioned.
The bedroom you stayed in did however have a balcony door (golf course facing) as well as a ceiling fan and velux window - so if the security lighting from the car park was disturbing you it could have been closed and the balcony door opened as well as the ceiling fan turned on. You were also offered another room for the following 2 nights but because you left in the early hours having not paid your bill then we had no option but to charge you for the night you stayed but obviously not for the other 2 nights.
Prior to your review our General Manager did contact you directly (as you mentioned) immediately after your stay to apologise and offer you a solution but clearly we have been unable to do so for which we are sorry.

Kind regards,
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our stay was a wedding present from my sister and brother in law, so we feel cheated that our treat was so shabby. First our room wasn't made up so we had to wait til after 3 pm to get into it, instead of a double bed it was two singles pushed together even though they were aware it was our honeymoon. There was still food on the carpet and the light switch was so disgustingly dirty I had to use a tissue to switch it on. The toilet hadn't been cleaned properly and everything was thick with dust so I asked for the cleaners to come back. After another wait our room was supposedly ready again but to my dismay the only thing touched was the food off the floor and the switch wiped over but not completely clean. I used a face cloth and soap and cleaned the room myself as the cleaners obviously have not got very high standards. All the handles and push plates on all the doors throughout the hotel were grimy and filthy, I avoided holding the bannister on the stairs as they were sticky and dirty. We were asked to fill out a questionnaire on departure although I think it was a waste of our time as we have had no response to our complaints. I think health and hygiene should pay this establishment a visit and give the management of cleaning staff a good kick up the backside.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel !!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sharon
Thank you for your review and my we unreservedly apologise for the cleanliness of your bedroom this is completely unacceptable and out of character. The matter has been brought to the immediate attention of the Head of that Department so that this can not happen again. We are of course very sorry especially as we now know it was for your honeymoon - we did not originally know this - having spoken to our reception team they were only ever told this was a 'present' for you, and not informed it was for your honeymoon otherwise we would have even tried to upgrade you if able. You also mentioned your disappointment about your beds being 2 single beds pushed together which technically is correct, but you were in a Zip & Link bed which makes a king sized bed if required - they are common place in most hotels even 4 & 5 star ones because of their flexibility.

We hope you will reconsider staying with us again.
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were heading to a family wedding and had booked a spa break on the internet, fantastic value on a Thursday. Check in was ok although not too friendly and very little information given about the way the spa break worked, and the lift was broken. Otherwise the room was nice, looked out over the golf course and had a small balcony. No air con and with temps over 27'C that day the rooms were very hot. The spa was excellent although again the guys on the spa reception could have been more helpful and customer focused. The spa itself was great, a really nice environment and the spa equipment was all clean, tidy and well looked after. I had a 30 minute deep muscle massage which was amazing and the masseuse was very chatty and pleasant. We ate in the restaurant that night and generally the food was good, although do not have the belly pork, it was horrible, chargrilled and not slow cooked so the skin and fat were chewy and uncooked!! Not sure the guy really knew what to do when I complained about it either. Overall a good break for the money we paid but I would have been disappointed if we had paid a lot more than the £89 per person we paid

Room Tip: Ask for golf course side room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review regarding your recent spa break - we were pleased to see you thought it good value for money and your spa treatment was wonderful. We were of course very sorry & surprised to hear that you found our staff at both hotel and spa reception not especially helpful - this is most out of character as this is the one consistent positive we get from our 99% of our Trip Advisor & other review sites, so will look into this immediately.
Unfortunately our bedrooms are not air-conditioned but our public areas are, sadly the cost of installing this into all our 90 bedrooms for what is normally only a couple of hot weeks of the year is just not feasible, we are sorry, but we do provide a fan in all our wardrobes for customers use as well as windows/patio doors which all open. Some bedrooms also have a ceiling fan. But we do appreciate it has been an uncharacteristically hot summer this year.
With regards to your Pork Belly at dinner - this would normally always be ''slow cooked'' so we are not sure what happened there but sorry you did not like it.

We do hope you will come back and stay with us again when we are confident you will not only enjoy a lovely meal in our restaurant but will also find every member of our staff helpful and willing to go the extra mile for you.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife last weekend, we had a superior room with a small balcony overlooking the gold course (first tee). The room was spacious and well equipped. All the staff without exception were really efficient and helpful in the reception area, bar and restaurant.
This hotel is very well run by people who obviously enjoy their work and feel part of the business.
I comment the staff and management on a job well done.
I look forward to staying again in the future.

One more point, When I arrived home I realised that I had accidentally left my camera in my room - a phone call later and I was assured the the camera had been found and was being kept safe for me, thank you.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wingersteve
MarketingD, Public Relations Manager at Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you for your excellent review regarding your recent stay with your wife - we were so delighted to read your exception praise about our staff and management as well as our facilities - we are very proud of all our staff and perhaps being a family owned and run business that shows more than we think throughout the hotel.
We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon and hope you have now been reunited with your camera.

Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My mother in law and I enjoyed a wonderful spa day at ufford park last week. We chose the all day package, which turned out to be a really good choice. The staff/team made us feel very special from the moment we arrived. We enjoyed 2hrs of treatments, spending the rest of the day in the spa area. Lunch was lovely too. A very successful day out. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank julie_curtis630
Dear Julie
Thank you for your excellent Day Spa review - we were delighted to read that you had such a great time and thoroughly enjoyed your treatments and lunch. Perhaps next time you can escape for the night with a mini spa break instead!!
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've given this an average rating but it is probably better but short of being very good.I stayed here for a weekend golf break & it was a good location for this activity with a number of very good courses within short driving distances. The hotel is fairly typical of corporate style golf resorts with good facilities including very good golf practicing areas.The course itself was decent with some very challenging holes & ok for society golf. Bedrooms were average in size but clean & comfortable. Food was quite good with a reasonable selection of dishes from the set menus that we used. Breakfast was good but nothing special. Service was very good & staff were quite friendly. The restaurant manager was very much on top of things to ensure service levels were maintained. The main downside was the lack of entertainment in the evening - the bar was a bit dead on a Saturday night even though the hotel was well occupied.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Liam
Thank you for your review regarding your recent golfing break - we were very pleased to read that you had a great time and in particular thought our golf course and practice facilities excellent. We are very proud of all our staff who regularly go the extra mile for our customers so it is always lovely to hear customers specifically comment - we appreciate your comment about not having evening entertainment but we find other than over Christmas this is not requested by many guests - we do have a sports bar but sometimes the hotel may be busy with a wedding or an event eg. tribute night so the majority of guests would then be in our main function room and not in the bar. Hotel guests are always offered the opportunity to join any of our own events provided tickets are still available for a small surcharge though for future reference.
We hope to see you again soon.

Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Seckford Hall
The Crown at Woodbridge
The Crown at Woodbridge
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge
Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel

Been to Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!