“Golfing Break.”
Review of Seckford Hall

Seckford Hall
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
Reviewed June 21, 2014

12 of us stayed here for a weeks golf. Lovely old house, with comfortable rooms, good food and friendly staff. The gardens are very peaceful and with the good weather we enjoyed our sundowners.Their golf course is not too hard and neighbouring Woodbridge GC is a very nice course.

Room Tip: The Tudor suite is very good, hugh bathroom. Beware, satnav does'nt seem to know where this pos...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed June 19, 2014

The reason for our visit was the hotel's proximity to Sutton Hoo. It turned out to be a good choice. The hotel has real character. Everywhere was spotless, the staff polite and enthusiastic. Before our arrival I had emailed to ask if they would be able to deal with a coeliac diet and received a prompt, positive reply. This turned out to be a bit of an understatement. There was a wide variety of choice for each course for dinner on two nights, as well as breakfast. The food was beautifully prepared and presented. If this all sounds a bit over the top, it is because it is unusual for such a high standard to be maintained, even when there is a dietary problem. It was all done without any fuss. Too often it just seems to be too much trouble but not in this case.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tom d
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The best lunch we have had in a long time! Staff were very good and attentive. We were made to feel very welcome. We have struggled to find somewhere locally that you can have good service, good food and welcoming with children and we found it yesterday at Seckford Hall.
A walk round the lovely grounds were just the thing after a lovely 3 course lunch for our twin boys to burn off the chocolate ice cream.
A very enjoyable time had by all and a lovely Father's Day

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mama0
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Having dined here before we were once again not disappointed with the service or food. Staff are polite and accommodating, the food delicious. We enjoy the surroundings, the quirky mixture of the Elizabethan and modern touches. I look forward to a time when I can actually stay overnight for a nice long weekend!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jammie16
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Seckford Hall is a fabulously grand country house hotel set in beautiful grounds. The building is fabulous, inside and out. There is a cosy bar area and numerous rooms with sofas and fires to relax in. The hotel has a smart dining room. We didn't eat dinner there but breakfast was wholesome and plentiful.

Unfortunately our stay was let down by our rather shabby suite. It was more like a cottage, set in an stable block across from the main building with a bedroom, sitting room and kitchen area. Sounds good but it was in bad need of refurbishment. The bathroom was old fashioned although functional. The sitting room was tatty with mismatched furniture, scruffy curtains, etc. Similar in the bedroom, though the bed linen was of good quality and the bed comfy. The kitchen was pointless - just a sink and a kettle. The only positive was that we had a little private outside sitting area which caught the late afternoon sun.

I saw the rooms our friends had and they were studios in the same block that were very smartly decorated. Obviously fairly recently and in a luxurious contemporary style. And these rooms were cheaper than ours which was a bit irritating!

So all in all I would recommend Seckford Hall but would suggest requesting a room that has been refurbished.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Callycam
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Today was my mums 87th birthday and I had not booked anywhere for lunch as was unsure on where to go. I had Woodbridge in mind as fancied a nice stroll around & then just finding somewhere to pop in. I was recommended Seckford Hall.

Well... On approach along the drive my mum was impressed & so was I by the imposing hall that made me go 'wow mum I think we made the right choice'. My mum was excited so it felt good. Immediately inside it was so welcoming . I had booked the table a hour earlier for 1.15 lunch. The staff & service were excellent. We both ordered the trio of pork. OMG it was superbly tasty & so well presented & cooked perfectly. My mum even commented on how perfectly cooked the vegetables were & that's a huge bonus... Trust me!l

We couldn't stop saying how much we were enjoying our meal & I was so happy that my mum was happy.
We had no room for dessert so took our drinks on to the terrace, well the waiter brought them out! We sat for a while then wandered around the gardens. We came In for coffee in the bar...lovely coffee & really comfortable.

I learned that it had been refurbished last year as wondered why my sister was surprised at my choice of venue. She had stayed in January 2013 & said it was dated. When I showed her my pictures she was so surprised.
I must add that my sister had said that out of all the local places she has stayed that Seckford Hall had been her
favourite although dated !

I absolutely can't wait to revisit. The pork was around the £15 price but plenty of food not just a little in the middle if the plate. I would say for what I have had elsewhere it was good value.

Hopefully one day I will get to try the rooms. The afternoon teas looked lovely being served especially with champagne!

Overall a fabulous afternoon, highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank solitaire1
Reviewed June 7, 2014

We did not stay in the hotel so can only comment on afternoon tea which was lovely.
Food allergies were catered for and it was all presented beautifully we thought.
However for a Saturday in June it was very quiet and one cannot but wonder with all
the competition now in the area for weddings and such like that they may need to
up their game just a little. The interior although probably recently refurbed, has a way to go, the stair carpet etc up to the Ladies Powder Room is decidedly dated….. The place should have been buzzing ...
The grass was uncut and just looked a little neglected where afternoon tea was served…for a little work the whole place could be spot on. Tables and chairs could be cleaner. Food was lovely, area we were in looking a little tired.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Countrymousie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
#1 of 1 in Kesgrave

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!