“A wonderful birthday dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Seckford Hall

Seckford Hall
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“A wonderful birthday dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

My husband celebrated his 80th birthday at Seckford Hall with a dinner for 36 friends and family. What an evening it was! The meal was superb with roast leg of lamb cooked to perfection and the fruit salad was the best we have ever seen; the staff were attentive and looked after us very well. We have enjoyed several lunches in the newly refurbished dining room. Again, the food is excellent and well presented. The dining room has a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere and, unlike so many restaurants, the tables are well spaced out. Unlike earlier reviewers, I must say that I like the dining room and feel that the refurbishment has been done tastefully with a mixture of the 'old' and the 'new'. Above all, the staff are very willing and anxious to please.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Suffolkgolfer22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Stowmarket, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Although I have used Seckford Hall for lunch and dinner before I had never stayed there so decided to have a Sunday night break. Booked the Seckford Room which had 4 poster bed and spa bath. Room was good and well furnished but bathroom fittings could usefully be upgraded.Excellent dinner where the service was very good and friendly. The champagne cocktail bar which was a key part of the refurbishment of the hotel appears to have been closed . Catered well for us as we both need gluten free food. Breakfast was also good with a wide choice and all freshly cooked. Only 2 criticisms. Firstly Wifi was intermittent and slow. Secondly when checking out the deal I had agreed when booking hadn't been recorded and the bill was £100 more than it should have been.Sorted out effectively but it shouldn't really have happened.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which has been refurbished
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul W
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is a review of the restaurant only.
I brought my mother, who lives locally, to the restaurant 3 years ago. She enjoyed it so much I have wanted to take her back ever since. As my daughter was in the country and her partner was able to come down to Suffolk as well I thought this was an excellent excuse.
I booked a table rather late, Thursday for a meal on Saturday but my booking was agreed.
We turned up the exterior is as amazing as it ever was. However, when you enter things are not as pleasant any more.
The old reception, on the left as you used to enter the main door is now boarded up. So we made our way through to the old maître d desk, which is still in it's old position but you now have to walk through an office which appears to be the reception desk!
Staff were aware of our booking but as we had arrived early, deliberately for pre lunch drink, this seemed to put out waiting staff.
One point in relation to the small bar area whichever way you come at it there are steep steps to reach it, so my mother had to be helped by my daughter's very willing partner.
The barman was less than friendly but was efficient.
When it came time to go to our table I have to agree with other reviewers that the redecoration and table settings/linen is not what it used to be.
Our order consisted of three mains and a starter as a main. It was made clear that we wanted it as a main when our order was taken. However, it arrived before everyone else's and to be fair the maître d seemed to spot this and it was taken away. The thing with that was it was a soufflé!
Further the vegetarian options, two out of our party of 4 are veggies are not only limited but showed no imagination. Vegetable tart and risotto, when will chef's cotton on that because we choose not to eat meat or fish we would still like an imaginative meal.
The mains were OK but not up to the old standard.
Desserts were the best part and my daughters cheese plate was by far the best thing we had.
We decided to adjourn to the lounge for coffee. This has under gone probably the worst makeover. A horrible stripped carpet and a new bar with nothing on the shelves and glass panels on the front so your reflected while you sit and try to enjoy your coffee. This seems to be a work in progress but has spoilt one of the best assets of the hotel.
I am sure that people who did not know the old days will think this nice but for those of us who remember how it used to be it is a shame.
For her next birthday I will take mum somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark B
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

A stunning period building converted into a contemporary modern hotel! Lots of character, great service & beautiful food!
I got a great room rate also, albeit it was a corporate rate.

...I just wish they'd sort out their v flakey wi-fi - it's the only thing that let's it down!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MartinDolce
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

We have used Seckford Hall over many years to meet up at lunch time with friends,usually approximately 9 to16 of us. My wife and I booked for lunch for 12 guests. Unfortunately 3 of our party could not make it because of illness. I politely phoned to advise of the change in nos, to be told they could not find the original booking. I also reminded the receptionist that we needed a a window table as my wife is partially sighted. Having had our pre lunch drinks we were shown to our table which was found to be in the darkest place in the restaurant! My wife objected and pointed to the round table by the window and was told this was reserved for afternoon tea at 3pm. Reluctantly they reset the table for us for our lunch at the table by the window. The meal was very average. The change from our previous experiences were noted! namely, no crisp white table cloths, just dark wipe clean cafe style tables and floor covering. The service was also slow,with a lack of visible staff. My wife spoke to a receptionist on leaving and asked why bread/ bread roll / melba toast was not offered at the start of the lunch only to be told " you can purchase it madam its on the menu" When you consider the prices have all gone up since the change of ownership, will they be charging for a jug of water next!
The Hotel has been altered internally to the detriment of the previous ambiance of its former self.
This Hotel has always been a favorite of locals and visitors from afar, but alas we feel not any more. We have never stayed at this Hotel. It is a shame we cannot speak to the owners.We were told by the receptionist that owners are anonymous

bry891

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Bryan W
Witney, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

A beautiful hotel in lovely gardens. The staff were very helpful. We used the hotel as a base for a wedding nearby. They helped with all our needs including arranging transport. We couldn't eat in the restaurant but when we arrived back it was very busy always a good sign. We had breakfast which they offered a good range of buffet food and the full English was generous and delicious. Loved it would stay again

• Stayed May 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

We took a two night break here on a DB&B basis. This included a "contribution" to the cost of dinner. Not clear why they do this because the food, whilst good, was fairly ordinary.
Reception was efficient, they said we'd been upgraded but we actually got what we paid for. The Courtyard room was big, clean and had a good bathroom with an excellent shower. It was quiet and well worth being fifty yards from the main building to avoid the noise that can affect this sort of hotel when large parties are present. Bar and restaurant service was attentive and the meals satisfactory and of quite a good size. The plated Breakfast was adequate and tasty and additional servings of tea, toast etc available if needed. The one negative was the service when we took the afternoon tea which was included in the price. There seemed to be an assumption that everyone had the same and no choice was offered (until we asked!). Otherwise a good experience.

Room Tip: Go for the courtyard if you want to be quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
The Crown at Woodbridge
The Crown at Woodbridge
#2 of 4 in Woodbridge
Belstead Brook Muthu Hotel

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!