“A superb Stay”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Woodbridge
ely, Cambs
“A superb Stay”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here for our 30th wedding anniversary. The hotel itself is a truly wonderful building. The staff are friendly and professional. We booked two nights and had two enjoyable evening meals. The room was clean and recently decorated. My only issues are minor: I am not keen on the decoration of the cocktail bar which seems out of keeping with the rest of the building (a very personal, subjective view) and the second morning I had a cheese omelette which had a mound of uncooked cheese in the middle. However, overall the breakfasts were very good with lovely brown toast, local and tasty yoghurts, fresh fruit salad and a good selection of fruit juices. The first morning I had delicious bacon and mushrooms. Above all, I wish to highlight how welcoming the staff were. We will return!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ApprenticeEly
MarkSuddes, Operations Director at Seckford Hall, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review of your recent stay with us here at Seckford Hall and many congratulations on your Pearl Wedding Anniversary - thank you for choosing Seckford Hall!
I have passed your comments on to the kitchen team in relation to breakfast - thank you for your feedback
Mark Suddes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I wanted to thank everyone at Seckford Hall for the most amazing Christmas Party I have ever been to. The attention to detail, Christmas Decorations, the Staff, the Food & Drink and the company made this a magical night. Thanks again from: Natasha & the Girls at Northgate High School !

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Christmas Party Night - I am so pleased that you had a lovely experience
I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you again soon to Seckford Hall
Felixstowe, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We held our work Christmas celebration in restaurant 1530 last night and I’d like to congratulate the whole team at Seckford Hall for creating a fantastic night for all our team. From the amazing welcome and cocktails, to the great food and service in 1530 and the fabulous decorations throughout the hotel. Even down to the lovely lady in the lounge afterwards who was so accommodating and helpful - her compliments about my shoes may have helped too :o)

All round the team had a fabulous night so thank you very much and please pass on our thanks to the whole team.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dear Kate (with the lovely shoes!)
Thank you for your kind feedback following your recent visit with your work colleagues - it is lovely to read that you enjoyed your experience of our new restaurant 1530 at Christmas time.
Mark and the Seckford Team
Reviewed December 17, 2013

I came to a Party Night on Saturday 14 December with some friends. The hotel looked beautiful and the tables were really well decorated. They are the only two good points unfortunately! Throughout the meal our table was blasted with hot air! My husband had to keep getting up as it was unbearable. As for the food, the starter was ok (couldn't really go wrong with smoked salmon) but the turkey and trimmings were SO dry and, in fact, the worst Xmas dinner I have ever eaten (or rather not eaten!). This may have been due to the fact that there was at least a 3-40 gap between starters and mains.
After the meal we went into the disco area. There was a screen up to say that we could request songs but unfortunately the telephone number had dropped off the end of the screen and we couldn't read it! This was very unfortunate as meant we were stuck with YMCA and The Macerena which may have been ok at the end of a very long and drunken evening but these songs were being played at the start of the disco!. All in all, definitely an expereince not to be repeated although such a shame as friends have recommended the food here several times.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
How disappointing to read your review of your Christmas Party Night here at Seckford Hall - it is particularly disappointing to discover that whilst you found the tables and Hall to be well decorated that you did not enjoy your Christmas main course. This year we had individual parcels of turkey stuffed with an apricot farce wrapped in bacon - I am sorry that you found this dry as during our taste tests in September, we chose this presentation to avoid this.
It is always difficult to get the right balance at this type of event in terms of the music; particularly as there were circa 150 people attending each of our party nights. I am sorry that this wasn't to your personal liking.
Thank you for your feedback which we will use during our Christmas debriefing meeting in the New Year
With very warm wishes for 2014
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have been coming to Seckford Hall for over 20 years now.The food and surroundings have always drawn us back.As we live near Colchester,we still don't mind travelling to come here.
I must admit I was not sure about the new look dining area,but I was there last Sunday for lunch,and it really has grown on me.
I am afraid I do not like the bar in the coffee lounge,or the constant parade of food being taken through while we were in there.To me that lounge was always the perfect place to have a quiet coffee after the meal,before leaving.
Still a great place though

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear John
Thank you for your continued custom here at Seckford Hall - I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent Sunday Lunch in our new restaurant, 1530 at Seckford Hall.
Our Mulberry Suite in the East Wing is proving incredibly popular for private dining with food brought through to this and other areas of the ground floor throughout the day - I am sorry that you were conscious of this after your lunch.
As you mention, we continue to look forward to welcoming you to Seckford Hall
With warm wishes
Mark
Saxmundham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We recently got married at Seckford and had the most amazing weekend. We arrived on the Friday, Gents played golf, ladies went to Spa. Had an amazing meal with close friends and family in the evening. One of the best 3 course meals I've ever had. Awoke refreshed on Saturday to get married. Which we did. The venue was beautiful, shame about the weather, but it didn't dampen our spirits. The staff made up for any weather woes, they were so attentive, professional and just extremely nice people. If there wasn't something quite right, you just had to ask and they would sort it out straight away. It was such an easy welcoming place to get married and I would recommend staying for the entire weekend as it really is a special place. Well done Seckford, we'll never forget you.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacob C
Dear Jacob
Firstly, may I take the opportunity to thank you for choosing Seckford Hall as the venue for your special day - it is lovely to read that we looked after you well and created lots of memories for your to reflect on in future years.
We all wish you an excellent 2014 and look forward to seeing you at Seckford Hall Hotel again soon
With very best wishes
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Myself & partner visited Seckford Hall the day after he had been working most of the night dealing with the effects of the huge tidal surge in Suffolk. We were both quite tired & looking forward to a relaxing evening where we could be a little bit spoilt as he was due to fly off to Australia in a few days.

We took advantage of the Happy Hour (1/2 price) cocktails in the new Champagne/Cocktail bar & the ones we sampled tasted fantastic & looked really impressive too ! The atmosphere was warm, relaxed & luxurious - & we were lucky enough to sit in front of the wood-burning stove - it was magical !

We'd managed to get a last minute cancellation in the restaurant & the staff couldn't have been more helpful, charming or professional. We ate from the a la carte menu & enjoyed it all - we even requested a slight amendment to a desert on the menu & this was happily organised without question. Excellent wine too (Malbec).

We rounded off our evn with coffee in the lounge - again the staff were discreet & the service (& coffee !) faultless.

I grew up in Suffolk & have enjoyed a number of special family occasions here over the years .. when I heard about the change of ownership & refurbishment I must admit I wondered how it would look and feel as Seckford Hall is such a special place. I needn't have worried - it is in excellent hands - it's definitely changed for the better & I'd happily recommend it .... thankyou.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
How lovely to read your comprehensive review of Seckford Hall following your recent visit to dine with us - it seems that you took full advantage of our refurbished areas and had a lovely evening.
The team joins me in wishing you a fabulous 2014
With warm regards
Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hintlesham
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
Milsoms Kesgrave Hall
#1 of 1 in Kesgrave

Been to Seckford Hall? Share your experiences!