“Wonderful warm welcome on our return” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory
Ranked #13 of 22 Woodbridge B&B and Inns
Chichester UK
“Wonderful warm welcome on our return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have stayed at The Old Rectory three times in the past in the context of visiting and enjoying the Aldeburgh Music Festival. Returning this year the hotel was just as warm, welcoming and wonderful in understated style and ambience as ever. Even though we stayed in the smallest of the rooms available, everything was comfortable. The owners and hosts are friendly and the whole experience is more like being their house guests than hotel customers.

Room Tip: We have particularly enjoyed staying in the delightful, charming cottage in the garden grounds. Sec...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

What a beautiful, welcoming, warm, friendly place to stay - rooms and facilities really
very good. Everyone helpful. Lovely sitting areas, stunning garden - very peaceful
and quiet. Breakfasts very filling plus good coffee - always a bonus!

Would go back tomorrow night if I was in the area!!

Libbie Barr

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Sudbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We come as a team of 7 friends who work together, for 24 or 48 hours of discussion, planning and having a relaxed time away together. Mike and Sally always give us a very warm welcome and nothing is too much trouble. We have the use of the beautiful drawing room for our meetings - round the log fire if it's chilly. Sally produces tea, coffee, homemade cakes and biscuits on top of the rather good breakfasts and dinner. We appreciate the honesty bar for pre/post dinner drinks, with everything provided.
The bedrooms and their bathrooms are pretty and thoughtfully laid out with lovely organic lavender toiletries, comfortably cosy beds and fluffy towels.
It's a beautiful house in a tranquil setting and perfect for our requirements - we always look forward to our time there.

Room Tip: All the rooms are individually decorated with Oak the biggest and grandest. They all have nice views...
Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Once a month there is a very special lunch that you don't want to miss out on. Sally and
Hannah together create the most fabulous menus for you to enjoy - the chilled cucumber soup today was heaven and so was the lemon balm ice cream, quite simply delicious. If the rooms compare with quality and commitment to detail then you are not going to disappointed - five star vegetarian lunch today

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is our third visit to The Old Rectory, and we love it! This really is a wonderful peaceful place in the most tranquil setting. The house is tastefully decorated with each room individually styled and offering a very different feel. Once you set foot though the large front door you feel at home. Nothing is too much trouble and we were offered the option of eating an earlier evening meal as we were staying with our two daughters. The breakfast is an absolute joy, freshly prepared locally sourced ingredients, the eggs are actually provided by the resident hens who live in the grounds. Our daughters love Hector and Trev; Sally and Michaels gorgeous dogs - they are so well behaved. We cannot wait to return as a trip to The Old Rectory feels like such a treat and an opportunity to take time out from a busy schedule and actually appreciate what life should be all about. Thank you we shall be back....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed for three nights with a deal? which included a three course dinner one night.The dinner I believe is normally about £28/29 pp, Amazingly overpriced! We had a tasty soup but the main of chicken, mash and veg was bland. I did mention I did not eat meat so I thought I may get something else on my chicken apart from the ham that was wrapped around it but no just a fairly dry chicken breast, although there was something lemon on the plate but as I do not like lemon mash or lemon carrots I had to leave a lot of the meal.The table next to us were offered more bread but not us. The wine glasses for the honesty bar were tiny and for a small glass of wine and a bottle of cider (which we have bought in a shop for about £2.50) we were charged £10 !! Really greedy we thought. The night before we had gone to a pub and had same drinks and paid roughly £5.25. Also we enjoyed at the same pub a very good two course meal for which we paid approximately £34. Hmm!
Our room was lovely with a beautiful view. Extremely large bathroom but the shower was so feeble we had to have baths which used more water. The breakfasts were very tasty and lots of choices.
A nice touch was when we arrived we were given a tray of tea and helped ourselves to some delicious home made cake.
The Old Rectory is indeed a charming place but is somewhat overpriced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Susan D
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had heard a lot about this place and was looking forward to my visit. I was staying for one night on a Monday and travelling alone as I was attending an event nearby. I was greeted warmly by the hosts Mike and Sally who couldn't have been nicer and more charming and made me feel very comfortable and safe.
The house has a warm homely air with big squishy settees in the vast living room and real fires when it is cold outside. There is a wonderful orangery and everywhere is painted in muted restful colours and is my kind of place. The vast garden and terrace are to be enjoyed and there is a wonderful vegetable garden where the chef will go and select vegetables and herbs in season to make her delicious dishes from.
My evening meal was beautifully presented with little touches that made eating it a pleasure. I wasn't too sure about wild garlic soup at first, but the smell and taste just got better and better. I am a vegetarian ( they also have innovative meat based dishes too!) and I had let Sally know in advance and Hannah the chef had actually come and discussed with me what I would like first!
Following on from the wild garlic,I had the most amazing Spelt couscous with griddled asparagus followed by wonderful rhubarb ice cream. I had two glasses of fresh crisp white wine and a herbal tea to round off a delightful and pleasant evening. Breakfast the following morning was served with lots of fresh tea and coffee and orange juice and I was ready for the day following a superb sleep.
Sally and her team work hard at making you feel special and that is why this superior house has the reputation it so richly deserves, along with a fantastic menu and the ability to make you feel that you have joined a happy home. I had heard the right things.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Seckford Hall
#2 of 22 in Woodbridge
Cherry Tree Inn
Cherry Tree Inn
#8 of 22 in Woodbridge

Been to The Old Rectory? Share your experiences!