“MEGA EXPENSIVE BAR & DINNER PRICES!”
Review of The Old Rectory

The Old Rectory
Ranked #15 of 22 Woodbridge B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“MEGA EXPENSIVE BAR & DINNER PRICES!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed for three nights with a deal? which included a three course dinner one night.The dinner I believe is normally about £28/29 pp, Amazingly overpriced! We had a tasty soup but the main of chicken, mash and veg was bland. I did mention I did not eat meat so I thought I may get something else on my chicken apart from the ham that was wrapped around it but no just a fairly dry chicken breast, although there was something lemon on the plate but as I do not like lemon mash or lemon carrots I had to leave a lot of the meal.The table next to us were offered more bread but not us. The wine glasses for the honesty bar were tiny and for a small glass of wine and a bottle of cider (which we have bought in a shop for about £2.50) we were charged £10 !! Really greedy we thought. The night before we had gone to a pub and had same drinks and paid roughly £5.25. Also we enjoyed at the same pub a very good two course meal for which we paid approximately £34. Hmm!
Our room was lovely with a beautiful view. Extremely large bathroom but the shower was so feeble we had to have baths which used more water. The breakfasts were very tasty and lots of choices.
A nice touch was when we arrived we were given a tray of tea and helped ourselves to some delicious home made cake.
The Old Rectory is indeed a charming place but is somewhat overpriced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Susan D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I had heard a lot about this place and was looking forward to my visit. I was staying for one night on a Monday and travelling alone as I was attending an event nearby. I was greeted warmly by the hosts Mike and Sally who couldn't have been nicer and more charming and made me feel very comfortable and safe.
The house has a warm homely air with big squishy settees in the vast living room and real fires when it is cold outside. There is a wonderful orangery and everywhere is painted in muted restful colours and is my kind of place. The vast garden and terrace are to be enjoyed and there is a wonderful vegetable garden where the chef will go and select vegetables and herbs in season to make her delicious dishes from.
My evening meal was beautifully presented with little touches that made eating it a pleasure. I wasn't too sure about wild garlic soup at first, but the smell and taste just got better and better. I am a vegetarian ( they also have innovative meat based dishes too!) and I had let Sally know in advance and Hannah the chef had actually come and discussed with me what I would like first!
Following on from the wild garlic,I had the most amazing Spelt couscous with griddled asparagus followed by wonderful rhubarb ice cream. I had two glasses of fresh crisp white wine and a herbal tea to round off a delightful and pleasant evening. Breakfast the following morning was served with lots of fresh tea and coffee and orange juice and I was ready for the day following a superb sleep.
Sally and her team work hard at making you feel special and that is why this superior house has the reputation it so richly deserves, along with a fantastic menu and the ability to make you feel that you have joined a happy home. I had heard the right things.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London, UK
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We spent a weekend at the Old Rectory In March. I have mixed thoughts on this B&B, we arrived on a very cold Friday only to find that the room was so cold that I had to sit with my coat on for a few hours, it did eventually heat up but took forever, I think we must have been the first to stay for weeks and the heating must get turned off when not in use.
The Breakfasts were absolutely delicious, the produce was excellent quality and cooked lovely, however we had dinner at the cost of £29pp which was a rip off. No choice was offered and when I explained that I didn’t eat Lamb was offered a rather poor substitution of Chicken thigh! You would be better off eating at the fabulous “British Larder” similar prices however exceptionally great food and great initiative cooking. The honesty bar at the Old Rectory is more expensive than some of the top London bars as is the wine. Saying all of this the location is perfect and some great places to visit within 20 minutes drive. The house and cottages are lovely and the grounds are great to have a walk around

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marg100
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed at the coach room in the old rectory. Beautiful room, great garden especially for our wee one lovws the space and a beautiful house. It is located in the country side so if you want to switch off and relax that's the place to go. Breakfast was good, friendly owners and staff not to forget their lovely dogs trev and Hector.

We've been staying in Hemlig cottage in brook street Woodbridge. What a lovely wee cottage with everything you need! A garden too. If you have a car you can buy a weekly pass for £10 from the tourist information centre which is now located in Woodbridge library.

I have to say this cottage does feel like home away from home :) totally recommend it for families as it has two double bedrooms and a sofa bed downstairs.

• Stayed May 2013
Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here for just one night, as a couple, to celebrate my birthday. We would have loved to have been able to stay longer. The house and the gardens are beautiful; the location is Suffolk countryside at its best and right next door to a beautiful country church. Everything here is very comfortable and the welcome and hospitality are great. Unusually for a B & B, an evening meal is provided on (I think) three nights during the week, including the night we stayed. The food was outstanding (although there was no choice – unsurprising given that this is not a restaurant) and the wine list was very good. There are many very good restaurants within a few miles, especially on the coast. The breakfast was also superb! We had a room in the old coach house; very quiet, clean, comfortable, plenty of space, very relaxed. Some one in the house has a great eye for detail and colour and shape (not to mention taste in food!) and in shows in the furnishing, layout and decoration.

Room Tip: If possible, book the Coach House
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Lilla Cottage, located just off the market square in the heart of Woodbridge, was the perfect place to spend a lazy weekend, even in the snow. There was a great choice of pubs, restaurants and boutiques within walking distance, and a great deli in town if you wanted to stay in and cook. The cottage was stylish, very comfortable, cosy and well equipped, we loved the woodburning stove. Pretty little outside space for summer eating.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Just returned from a lovely weekend at The Old Rectory.The house is lovely, beautifully decorated, full of character and with open fires very warm and snug with the added bonus of spring snow . The owners Mike and Sally are charming hosts, very welcoming, nothing was too much trouble,even coping with a a rather fussy vegetarian guest. Hannah the chef provided a fabulous evening meal and the breakfasts were delicious.A super weekend, thank you.

Room Tip: Garden Cottage is lovely
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DesLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodbridge
Ufford Park Woodbridge Hotel, Golf & Spa
Thatched Farm Bed and Breakfast
High House Farm
High House Farm
#16 of 22 in Woodbridge

Been to The Old Rectory? Share your experiences!